Kodi Community Forum
Unified PVR frontend (DVR/HTPC client GUI with EPG) and Addons API for PVR backends? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+---- Forum: PVR (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=136)
+---- Thread: Unified PVR frontend (DVR/HTPC client GUI with EPG) and Addons API for PVR backends? (/showthread.php?tid=28918)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

- SSchocke - 2009-01-23

SSchocke Wrote:Also, coming back to an earlier question... Static vs Dynamic library. I noticed that all the existing libraries (like guilib) are statically linked into XBMC. I need to setup a test application in this regard, but maybe somebody can give me a quick answer.

If I have static library A, and I statically link it into Application B and Application C, and I have a global variable X defined in A, and I change X in App B, does App C also see the update, or does B and C create their own copy of the X variable in memory?

Quick test case created. Unless I am missing something, it does not work. The value of X in the two application does not stay synced... Guess it would have been too easy if it did.

- jmarshall - 2009-01-23

One thing to watch:

CLog is a static class. Thus, the logging will begin whenever it is first called. This could be from any of the globally allocated variables for instance, and may well be before other initialization is one. Now, I'm pretty sure this won't be an issue, but it's something to be aware of.

Note that I (and all devs) fully support any cleaning up that is performed.

Cheers,
Jonathan

- d4rk - 2009-01-23

SSchocke Wrote:Quick test case created. Unless I am missing something, it does not work. The value of X in the two application does not stay synced... Guess it would have been too easy if it did.

Every application has it's own address space, you can't use a static (or dynamic) library to share address space or variables. Best case, if one application forks from another, then it will get a copy of the variables in its current state. You'll need to use alternate methods like shared memory, if you want to share global data across processes.

- SSchocke - 2009-01-24

d4rk Wrote:Every application has it's own address space, you can't use a static (or dynamic) library to share address space or variables. Best case, if one application forks from another, then it will get a copy of the variables in its current state. You'll need to use alternate methods like shared memory, if you want to share global data across processes.

All I can say is I must have been either drunk or smoking something when I came up with that idea. Oo

What I was actually trying to establish is whether we can have a static library that we link XBMC against, and link plugin dynamic libraries against that same static library. Then, when the plugin library gets loaded, would it create duplicates of all the variables and functions in the static library, or would it use the already defined variables and functions from the XBMC instance?
I mean, if we pull the dynamic library into the same address space than the running application, surely we can make calls from the XBMC application to the library. How else would any plugin system work. And if you can make them in that direction, surely there must be a way for the plugin to make calls back into the application. If so, if I call the GetLogFolder function, which is defined in that static library that both XBMC and the plugin are linked against, which "instance" of the function would get called?

I think I seriously need to play around outside XBMC for a while first before I tackle this particular problem...

- apocalip - 2009-03-04

Is there any status on this Project?

- SebaSOFT - 2009-03-04

I guess the thread went off-topic, and the project stalled

- MrBasset - 2009-03-04

The last change going into SVN was 6 days ago (http://trac.xbmc.org/browser/branches/unified-pvr), I'm not quite sure that counts as stalled yet. Just that any guys doing the coding are likely focused on that and are quite quiet here.

It would be nice to get an update on how stable the current version of the API is though. I know EvilDude plans to look at the MP plugin once that happens, and that would be just about perfect for my HTPC.Nod

- SSchocke - 2009-03-05

Definitely not stalled... I know for me it's just a huge amount of coding to be done, and too much real life getting in the way at the moment Wink

Unified PVR front-end progress? - kortina - 2009-04-03

Does anyone know what is happening with the Unified PVR frontend?

I have found references on wikipedia, google summer of code and a few other places, but nothing seems to be recent. (eg 2009!)

I am really keen to use it and even help write some pages for others to build/utilise this feature.

Any updates welcome (9.04?)

Cheers.

- rwparris2 - 2009-04-03

you can keep up with progress here:
http://trac.xbmc.org/log/branches/unified-pvr/XBMC

Being able to watch development as it happens is one of the many benefits of being open source Nod

- dubstar_04 - 2009-04-03

@alcoheca

What is the status of the pvr branch? is the pvr branch ready for clients writing against it?

I have seen the DVR plugin but i dont understand how much of the pvr branch is utilised by it.

I look forward to hearing about the progress.

Kind regards,

Dubstar_04

Long time XBMC user, first time poster - blowfly - 2009-04-08

Hi all.

I've just started getting into MythTV and I have a rather basic backend setup that I would love to use with XBMC on my Xbox (until I can get XBMC onto a nice media PC).

In fact, I'd like to get my teeth stuck into helping out development of the Unified PVR.

I've checked out both the Xbox and the unified-pvr branch from the XBMC SVN tree and managed to get at least the unified-pvr branch compiled and running. Although I have a few of questions:
  1. The VS2008 project file mentions a PVRClient-mythtv.h header, but I can't find that anywhere in the source. Am I missing something?
  2. I'm guessing that any PVRClient must need to implement the IPVRClient interface. Is there one for MythTV?
  3. @alcoheca - I've read somewhere in this thread that you originally had an early version working on the Xbox - somewhere on your own branch (to do with GSoC if I remember)? Where did that end up and how different is it the current unified-pvr branch?

Any help on where best to get started would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

- alcoheca - 2009-04-08

blowfly Wrote:[*]The VS2008 project file mentions a PVRClient-mythtv.h header, but I can't find that anywhere in the source. Am I missing something?
No that reference shouldn't be there, please ignore it.
blowfly Wrote:[*]I'm guessing that any PVRClient must need to implement the IPVRClient interface. Is there one for MythTV?
No there isn't any working client code for MythTV currently.
IPVRClient is XBMC internal only. What you want to look at is the VDR code, and it's #includes. xbmc_pvr.h should be included for instance. I'm also planning on moving to mingw compilation for win32 dlls and dropping any VS project files.
blowfly Wrote:[*]@alcoheca - I've read somewhere in this thread that you originally had an early version working on the Xbox - somewhere on your own branch (to do with GSoC if I remember)? Where did that end up and how different is it the current unified-pvr branch?
There's nothing from that branch which is missing in the unified-pvr branch, so it's best to ignore that and work with unified-pvr instead.

If you're serious about development by all means get in touch with any questions/suggestions.

- wstewart - 2009-04-26

what happened to the mythtv client for the unified PVR. Has it been dropped all together? It seems to have disappeared at 17881 with no explanation.

I realize there is much to do, but I was planning to take a look to see if perhaps I could help.

How far along in the PVR branch? I am considering dropping my develop efforts on the mythtv side and moving over the xbmc camp. It seems there is a larger community over and that proposed changes could get incorporated faster, at least that is what I perceive.

- dteirney - 2009-04-28

wstewart Wrote:what happened to the mythtv client for the unified PVR. Has it been dropped all together? It seems to have disappeared at 17881 with no explanation.

I realize there is much to do, but I was planning to take a look to see if perhaps I could help.

How far along in the PVR branch? I am considering dropping my develop efforts on the mythtv side and moving over the xbmc camp. It seems there is a larger community over and that proposed changes could get incorporated faster, at least that is what I perceive.

XBMC seems like a much better media platform than MythTV. I've almost finished implementing commercial skip functionality in XBMC for MythTV recordings. http://xbmc.org/ticket/6279

We are happy using our desktop machine for scheduling recordings and leaving XBMC for playback only. Would be a bonus to be able to check things through XBMC though. Haven't had a look at any of the PVR branch functionality.