Kodi Community Forum
Hardware for Linux and XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: Hardware for Linux and XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=29552)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

- bwanaaa - 2007-12-04

to those of you who have this streamr working, how are you hosting your video? is it a nas-if so, which one? which protocol is running your stream-smb cannot do hd so it must be something else.

- Jezz_X - 2007-12-04

bwanaaa Wrote:to those of you who have this streamr working, how are you hosting your video? is it a nas-if so, which one? which protocol is running your stream-smb cannot do hd so it must be something else.

I have my files stored on a win32 computer and stream over samba to the linux box and yes it does do hidef

- Nick8888 - 2007-12-04

What speed is required for a network streaming hd? Will it hog most of the bandwidth?

- jmarshall - 2007-12-04

HD h264 "scene releases" normally vary from about 2Mbit/s streams up to about 20Mbit/s streams. A 100Mbit ethernet connection will handle it no problem, but I wouldn't rely on wireless.

- bwanaaa - 2007-12-05

jmarshall Wrote:HD h264 "scene releases" normally vary from about 2Mbit/s streams up to about 20Mbit/s streams. A 100Mbit ethernet connection will handle it no problem, but I wouldn't rely on wireless.

really?! this page (and a lot of others like it) refer to a 12.5 mB/s ceiling
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/component/option,com_nas/Itemid,190

- bwanaaa - 2007-12-05

bwanaaa Wrote:really?! this page (and a lot of others like it) refer to a 12.5 mB/s ceiling
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/component/option,com_nas/Itemid,190

oops, just noticed 12.5 MBYTES vs 20 MBITS(=~2.5MBYTES) so you are right. sorry. but what NAS do you use jmarshall?

- BLKMGK - 2007-12-05

Using unRAID here and SMB. I'm not yet streaming HD but have spoken to others who have on their forums. It's not the fastest solution but it can saturate a 100meg connection easily enough - I am running a GigE network. Reads are faster than writes and there's work being done to speed it up. NFS will be supported soon enough too it seems. SMB appears fast enough though. Parts for my box "should" arrive today...

- siDDis - 2007-12-05

720p material runs usually just fine with wireless, spikes can occur
1080p material is a problem though spikes occur often

never had a problem with 100mbit wired though

- embrion - 2007-12-05

Tested with another two PCs with 720p and 1080p over wired LAN SMB:

1:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2,8MHz
GPU: Ati Radeon X1900 GT
RAM: 2GB DDR2 800

Result: ~1,5fps (stupid Ati/AMD and their crappy Linux drivers support)

1:

CPU: Amd Athlon XP 3200+ Burton (2,2GHz) [works like 2,4-2,6GHz P4]
GPU: NVidia GeForce 6600 128MB 128bit
RAM: 1GB DDR1

Result:
CPU-Total and XBMC: ~100%
x264.720p - works
x264.1080p - way to low framerate when anything more complex starts to show up

So what could be mine bottleneck? GF seems to be OK (besides only 128MB ram). Could it be CPU?

- jmarshall - 2007-12-05

Yes, CPU is too slow.

- BLKMGK - 2007-12-06

Okay, firing up new machine!

MSI 8500GT
2Gig RAM
Asus P5K-E M/B
crap 80gig IDE drive
E6750 C2D @ stock clock - it can be pushedNod

At desktop: 60FPS, CPU Total is 51%, XBMC is 100% heh - guess one core maxxed? Playing an MKV that previously choked the XBOX I get 24FPS, CPU is 36%, XBMC CPU is 70-74%.Big Grin I do not have sound right now, no speakers and stereo inother room - TV hookup is planned ASAP. The board has optical and coax out and I've put the SPID/F onto the vid card so that it will go out via HDMI too - not sure anything special from Linux is needed for that but frankly optical is how the XBOX and other devices are done now so I'm okay with that. We'll see if I have to do anything to get the HDMI working as video out later. Need tofigure out navigation too! lol

I call this a success! I will now work on getting Lirc working on this box. I may explore Myth and poke at Linux MCE. If anyone has questions on setup fire away and I'll try to answer. Frankly I'm no Linux pro but can get around in it and I did this following freely available info. :p

- BLKMGK - 2007-12-06

Lirc working pretty easily this time. Indeed the keyboard keys are not mapped. A program named "irw" at console will allow you to see what the keys send that are mapped. I'd love toget full keyboard going but for now knowthat the peanut remote works fine!

- Razor_109 - 2007-12-06

BLKMGK Wrote:Okay, firing up new machine!
At desktop: 60FPS, CPU Total is 51%, XBMC is 100% heh - guess one core maxxed?

hmm... 100% when watching nothing?? that's not normal is it?

was planning on buying a E6750 C2D myself too for building a HTPC.. but hoped the CPU would do a bit better.. the .MKV you tested was 1080p or even 720p?

- BLKMGK - 2007-12-06

CPU TOTAL was only 51% no both cores. The MKV was a downloaded TV video, HD but might be 720. There was some mention of sample vids earlier but I don't recalla link to any - I'd be happy to try one and report back. UI response is pretty snappy and except for bugs that I'm sure will go away with time it runs perfectly fine. I do need to hook it to speakers or my stereo to make sure sound is keeping up but right now it seems pretty good, no lagging or jitter in video - smooth as silk. The CPU could certainly be overclocked a good bit too if I need the power. The biggest weirdness is when I end a vid the menu returns only smaller like it's windowed down in a corner <shrug> I also cannot figuere out what key would be equal to the white controller button on the XBOX.

IMO this CPU is fine with current codebase, if someone has something they would like me to test to stress it just give me a link here or PM me one - happy to help!

- Razor_109 - 2007-12-06

BLKMGK Wrote:CPU TOTAL was only 51% no both cores.

Hmm, still dont get it all.. 'CPU TOTAL' do you mean:

1. Overall usage of the CPU was 51%? and this is when doing nothing, just have XBMC running? (So in this case 1 CPU would be maxed out)
2. Or do you mean only 51% of the Total CPU is available, so 1 core is not being used by XBMC.

Well for the 1080p you can try find an 1080p.mkv on the internet i think the same place as where you get your 720p.mkv tvshows should have some of 1080p too.
Or else try a 1080p trailer at apple.com