Kodi Community Forum
Hardware for Linux and XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: Hardware for Linux and XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=29552)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

- BLKMGK - 2007-12-09

Okay, just watched first show windowed as it seems to dork up some when full screen and a vid is stopped - shrinks. Anyway, full 1hr show in MKV format with H.264 encoding it looked like - no glitches, no hitches, no sound issues, no problems. I did get two seg faults earlier on setting up sources but no biggie. Myth could take a page out of the XBMC playbook for playing vids from shares IMO. Leave sound set as "analog" else it does nothing but buzz, PCM is decoding though just fine. This receiver not real capable but will try on bigger screen later with better stereo\more speakers.

All in all, DAMNED impressed! Now I can finally watch the seasons of 24 and Lost I've gotten in HD.

- gateway69 - 2007-12-10

Mntz Wrote:As far as i know, it's not the resolution but the bitrate that tells how hard a movie is to decode. So maybe at this to the results as well. (Correct me if i'm wrong)

decoding of videos is a bit more complex than just the bit rate. The various codecs out their h ave all sorts of switches you can use to encode them to produce better results, how ever.. with that point made that decoders have to support all those extra flags that encoder a used vs encoder b.

one file encoded with x264 might work really well on xbmc, but that same file encoded with proper h264 encoder with some different settings will cause the decoder to barf or ignore those switches and potentially play slower.

- gateway69 - 2007-12-10

I have set up alot of xbmc shuttle boxes with our tests and audio is always a pain.

first thing to run from cmd line and find what digital hw and device is listed.
Code:
gateway@gateway-desktop:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: SN25P [Shuttle SN25P], device 0: ICE1724 [ICE1724]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: SN25P [Shuttle SN25P], device 1: IEC1724 IEC958 [IEC1724 IEC958]
  Subdevices: 1/1
card 0: SN25P [Shuttle SN25P], device 2: ICE1724 Surrounds [ICE1724 Surround PCM]
  Subdevices: 2/2
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
gateway@gateway-desktop:~$

this tells me my digital out is on card 0 device 1..

card 0: SN25P [Shuttle SN25P], device 1: IEC1724 IEC958 [IEC1724 IEC958]

so the next steps I do is go to system --> prefs --> sound and change all the pull downs to IEC1724 IEC958, and hit the test button, make sure you have your stuff plugged in first Smile if you see no red, make sure you mixer is set up for this.

to check that .. double click on the speaker icon next to the shutdown icon at the top menu bar.

Select switches, and enable both IEC958.. i have 2.. one for output, then in the options make sure to set them to PCM OUT for both or one if u only have one.

then retry the test from system --> prefs --> sound

hopefully you should hear some noise?

if you do the next step I do is copy demo-asoundrc to my root user folder..

cp demo-asoundrc ../.asoundrc

I edit this file and replace the device from 0 to 1, since this is what aplay -l showed me prior..

type hw
card 0
device 1

default demo is device 0

next I load up xbmc, go to audio confi, select digital and make sure both of them say default.

exit, and start again and you should have sound.. of course their are plenty of various options/hw specs that could cause issues but these are the basic steps I used to get digital audio working.

Some more info - e-bart - 2007-12-12

Though slightly off-topic some more specs for completeness sake. This is for a Mac mini (with intel 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duro) running Windows XP and CoreAVC. We experimented with a 1080p x264 TVRIP of episode 1 of BBC's 'Planet Earth' series we found on the internet. (downloaded for testing purposes of course!) At the beginning of 'episode 1' there's a scene where you see thousands and thousands of birds flying over land. This brought the Mac mini to its knees maxing out both cores at 100%.

In case someone is looking for testing material. I think that specific scene is a very good benchmark for H.264 performance testing since it involves thousands of small dots moving across the scene.

- t029248 - 2007-12-12

e-bart Wrote:In case someone is looking for testing material. I think that specific scene is a very good benchmark for H.264 performance testing since it involves thousands of small dots moving across the scene.

My Windows Workstation also suffers when it plays that scene, strange enough not with Media Player (Vista sp1). Huh

I will boot to XBMC (Ubuntu) later to test the performance then.

I'm following this conversation for weeks, it seems that if hardware rendering of video is not going to be supported a Core 2 Quad CPU is the only save option, for smooth playback!?

- djh_ - 2007-12-12

e-bart Wrote:In case someone is looking for testing material. I think that specific scene is a very good benchmark for H.264 performance testing since it involves thousands of small dots moving across the scene.

I'll second that. The wife and I used to grit our teeth when watching the WMVHD encodes on 360 - any time the camera pulled back from anything involving birds. Haven't properly tested but Linux XBMC seems perfectly bird-friendly.

- BLKMGK - 2007-12-12

How big should that episode be for highest bitrate? What I'm seeing so far looks like low quality judging from the file sizes. Willing to test for sure. I see no reason for a Quad Core, in fact for decoding to the screen I'm not sure how well multiple cores speed things, dunno'. I do not think my CPU will have issues with this judging from what I've already seen. Worse comes to worse I bump the speed up a bit - there's room for sure. So far at 2.66ghz it doesn't appear to be straining too badly...

- e-bart - 2007-12-14

The episode we tested was around 4.4 GB. Bitrate was: 11-12 Mbit/s (with peaks at 40Mbit)

- BLKMGK - 2007-12-15

e-bart Wrote:The episode we tested was around 4.4 GB. Bitrate was: 11-12 Mbit/s (with peaks at 40Mbit)

Sounds like what I've recently found - is a .TS format which I've never seen before. <shrug> I'm thinking that if it plays this as well as everything else I'll have answered the CPU question to my own satisfaction.

P.S. If anyone is about to upgrade to 11005 in SVN don't - appears broken with an error in the timezone variables <shrug>

- Jezz_X - 2007-12-15

BLKMGK Wrote:.....
P.S. If anyone is about to upgrade to 11005 in SVN don't - appears broken with an error in the timezone variables <shrug>

No its not you need to manually delete the XboxTimezone.o file that it errors on because its not used anymore so make dosn't clean it

Also on another note the recent changes to video render has reduced cpu usage on HD h264 buy about 10% for me Laugh

- BLKMGK - 2007-12-15

Doh, TY! Will fix ASAP, just hadn't had to do that before. Will be nice to get it back!

- tssgery - 2007-12-15

Jezz_X Wrote:No its not you need to manually delete the XboxTimezone.o file that it errors on because its not used anymore so make dosn't clean it

Also on another note the recent changes to video render has reduced cpu usage on HD h264 buy about 10% for me Laugh

This seems to crop up every once in a while.

Any reason why make clean can not do a...

find . -name \*.o -exec rm -f {} \;

?

- rodalpho - 2007-12-18

My old xbox finally bit the bucket with the infamous flashing red & green lights of death (FRAG), so I just ordered the following from newegg. It'll arrive wednesday.

Case: antec NSK2480 w/ 380w PSU uATX
Mobo: evga 112-ck-nf77-a1 nforce 7150/630i HDMI uATX
CPU: C2D E4500 retail
RAM: 2GB DDR2-800
DVD-RW: pioneer DVR-212DBK
Remote: MS MCE

This config ought to overclock to 3Ghz on stock. Using the old 80GB EIDE HD from my xbox for storage; I stream most stuff anyway. Planning to dualboot vista home premium and ubuntu in case XBMC/linux isn't ready for primetime.

Here goes nothing!

- Jezz_X - 2007-12-20

e-bart Wrote:Though slightly off-topic some more specs for completeness sake. This is for a Mac mini (with intel 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duro) running Windows XP and CoreAVC. We experimented with a 1080p x264 TVRIP of episode 1 of BBC's 'Planet Earth' series we found on the internet. (downloaded for testing purposes of course!) At the beginning of 'episode 1' there's a scene where you see thousands and thousands of birds flying over land. This brought the Mac mini to its knees maxing out both cores at 100%.

In case someone is looking for testing material. I think that specific scene is a very good benchmark for H.264 performance testing since it involves thousands of small dots moving across the scene.

Man you were not kidding about this I just got it and it even brings my windows machine to its knees with a core2duo 6400 2gig ram MPC and coreavc that bird scene makes 100% cpu and lags Shocked

- BLKMGK - 2007-12-21

Heh, I SO need to find this :-) I am in the process of getting one that is a .TS stream but I'm not sure that's what you guys are using as I've had no luck getting it to play yet. Is your test video in a .EVO format or what? I've got that movie in HD on my list but haven't purchased it yet. I've got to figure out UDF 2.5 support first anyway if I'm going to get it off the disk directly. I swear it looks like getting that support on Windows looks way easier so maybe I'll just rip from there.