Kodi Community Forum
QuickTime 6 support in XBMC? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: QuickTime 6 support in XBMC? (/showthread.php?tid=3098)

Pages: 1 2

- morphy - 2004-01-30

the quicktime codec in xbmp was very crap! only audio or video or nothing came on the screen. i hope this poll will help the coder to implanted this format! many many trailer cames with it. avi,mpg,vob,xvid are very needed codecs, but quicktime is needed imho too.

sorry my english wasnt so nicely.... i hope the community can understand me Image

bye

- MrMario64 - 2004-01-30

i do not like the sound of this.
it's sounds like a demand...........

if i were the person wanting to do this i would stop sharing my work and keep it to myself.

do not demand stuff, they r onlyu doing it for fun and it should stay fun....

- morphy - 2004-01-31

it wasnt my intention a work for something was not to be judged! i have myself
only in demand why nobody finished this codec to get possibly done.
it looks to me that the quicktime codec got no real attention like avi or mpeg.
i dont want to bash anyone, i am interested also how many this codecs to have want.

i hope u can understand my bad english

- Kobazz - 2004-01-31

daaamnnn i don't :d

- febs - 2004-01-31

i hate prorietary codecs, but quictime is very very goot with cartoons and anime. the simpson and beavis&butthead can be extremely compressed with a very small loss. about one meg per minute!

- DNKROZ - 2004-02-02

i also hate this kind of codecs... but you can´t deny lots of files at the internet come in this format, trailers, fan movies, etc.

i have a full dvd with star wars fan movies and there are most of em quicktime files...

so, sure, i´d like to see a working quicktime codec in xbmc.

also mrmario64, sounds what?, it doesn´t sound like a demand, he was just saying it´d be nice... and i agree with him... of course the coders can do whatever they want, and we´ll be happy with this kind of results, but don´t change meanings, one thing is to suggest something (look the forum title) and other quite different is to demand something (and doing so here is quite absurd).

see ya.

- Bhellium - 2004-02-04

that is a good idea :d
how about a "feature demand" topic in the forum?Image

- ej2095 - 2004-02-10

if i rem correctly apple charge you for licenseing for there codec. then u still have to code it into your player... shud have a paypal fingy on here if apple do charge for donations.

- silentyl - 2004-02-13

most of the time quicktime .mov files work for me in both xbmp and xbmc ...but o.n.l.y. when the audio is in mp3 as well.....

- thebeast - 2004-02-13

(mrmario64 @ jan. 30 2004,21:48 Wrote:i do not like the sound of this.
it's sounds like a demand...........

if i were the person wanting to do this i would stop sharing my work and keep it to myself.

do not demand stuff, they r onlyu doing it for fun and it should stay fun....

what mario wrote. plus it makes so much more sense to implement xbmc client reception for internet streams (.strm) of mpeg4/asf/realmedia. including .ram/.asx streams.

who's using quicktime these days for live radio/tv streams? not many, i find, comparing to the number of real streams.

- d0lby - 2004-02-15

i'd just like to point out that there are two open source quicktime libraries available.... (not pointing out to dev's - i'm sure they know - just to people who dont'! :d )

- Gamester17 - 2004-02-17

(d0lby @ feb. 15 2004,13:12 Wrote:i'd just like to point out that there are two open source quicktime libraries available
for newer quicktime codec?, where, do you have links?, if true then you should point it out to devs, but mplayer's devs, not xbmc Image

- d0lby - 2004-02-19

(gamester17 @ feb. 17 2004,14:24 Wrote:
(d0lby @ feb. 15 2004,13:12 Wrote:i'd just like to point out that there are two open source quicktime libraries available
for newer quicktime codec?, where, do you have links?, if true then you should point it out to devs, but mplayer's devs, not xbmc Image
hmm, well i'm not sure if they support 'newer codecs', but i'm pretty sure the video system i use on linux uses them, and i can play .mov's...
http://www.openquicktime.org/
http://heroinewarrior.com/quicktime.php3

why the mplayer dev's? i though that mplayer was de-funct and the dev's now work on xbmc? aren't the dev's for each project one in the same?

- thebeast - 2004-02-19

(d0lby @ feb. 19 2004,03:30 Wrote:
(gamester17 @ feb. 17 2004,14:24 Wrote:
hmm, well i'm not sure if they support 'newer codecs', but i'm pretty sure the video system i use on linux uses them, and i can play .mov's...
http://www.openquicktime.org/
http://heroinewarrior.com/quicktime.php3

why the mplayer dev's? i though that mplayer was de-funct and the dev's now work on xbmc? aren't the dev's for each project one in the same?
no, they aren't. as far as i know mplayer isn't defunct, at least i hope not. but xbmc integrates mplayer code.

- Gamester17 - 2004-02-19

(d0lby @ feb. 19 2004,02:30 Wrote:
(gamester17 @ feb. 17 2004,14:24 Wrote:[quote=d0lby,feb. 15 2004,13:12]you should point it out to devs, but mplayer's devs, not xbmc Image
i believe you are thinking about xbox media player (also known as xbplayer and xbmp), no developers from mplayer for linux is working on xbmc. xbmc aduio/video player core is a port of mplayer for linux, we don't implement any codecs our selves directly into xbmc that mplayer don't support. when/if a codec get's implemented into mplayer then we can port that code over to xbmc. the xbmc devs has made it clear that they do not have the time and expertise to implement new codecs into mplayer or xbmc's mplayer core that isn't already supported by mplayer. hence if you want a new codec added then you have plede and beg to the mplayer devs (subscribe to their mailing list/s and then send them e-mail's) to lobby them to code it. alternativly/additinaly you can plede and beg to the ffmpeg devs to code support for the codec/s into ffmpeg as mplayer uses ffmpeg and usually adds support for all codecs that ffmpeg supports sooner or later.

oh, and no mplayer for linux is not 'defunct', they are still in full development even though one main developer has left.

edit: ps! both openquicktime and quicktime 4 linux looks only to support the older quicktime 4, not qt 5, 6 or later (you must remember that quicktime .mov or .qt is not one codec or two but can be many different formats and versions for both audio and video)