Kodi Community Forum
Is their a step by step guide to installing XBMC on Linux for Noobs! - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: Is their a step by step guide to installing XBMC on Linux for Noobs! (/showthread.php?tid=31346)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

- djdafreund - 2008-02-23

There's 4 very simple steps (Installing SVN/grabbing XBMC linux source, adding proper libraries, running build.sh, and running XBMC program itself when done.) Which is mentioned on the Wiki. I don't know how more newb' you can get then that.
As mentioned, if you can't copy paste exactly whats mentioned on the wiki page, this is already too much for you. Although if you've got as far as being able to use the simple Ubuntu OS, you've already used more skill required then whats needed to build XBMC for Ubuntu. Not trying to be harsh, but that's pretty much the truth. I just started using Ubuntu for a few weeks, and the 1st day i loaded it, i also followed the instructions, and build XBMC and ran it very easily. Granted i've been a windows user for more then a few decades, so maybe that helped a little, but doubt it since linux is a bit different.
But seriously, there's no way to get easier instructions then the 3-4 steps. LITERALLY. You need to install the svn program (obviously to get the xbmc source.) then you need to install the dependencies (to make things work.), then BUILD.SH (which does ALL the work for you, everything from auto-updating each time you run it, then builds it.) then run the xbmc file to run XBMC. That's it!

So other then initially 1 time installing and getting the dependencies. You simply run BUILD.SH, then after it's done doing it's thing, you simply run the XBMC file to load XBMC. Viola!!!

- matt777 - 2008-02-25

Got to the first step of running script # sudo apt-get install subversion

and get message "E: Couldn't find package subversion"

I know their is no support but just thought I'd ask.

- snappz - 2008-02-25

Make sure you have all the software sources enabled. Multiverse etc
Just uncomment (remove #'s from before lines) in /etc/apt/sources.list or select them in
System > Administration > Software Sources

- matt777 - 2008-02-25

yeah I took out the #.. will try your suggestion now

Thanks Mate

- matt777 - 2008-02-25

Yeah thanx mate that worked. I just enables sources under
System > Administration > Software Sources

- Evin - 2008-02-25

djdafreund Wrote:There's 4 very simple steps (Installing SVN/grabbing XBMC linux source, adding proper libraries, running build.sh, and running XBMC program itself when done.) Which is mentioned on the Wiki. I don't know how more newb' you can get then that.

Finally I installed Ubuntu 7.10 on my PC... and I allmost killed myselfe because of anger and frustration. Angry

The instructions in the Readme are complicated.

The Linux-User have to understand that new users have no idea what the are doing... and if they follow the instruction step by step it won't work.

Quote:-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. Getting the source code
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

# sudo apt-get install subversion
# cd $HOME
# svn checkout https://xbmc.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/xbmc/branches/linuxport/XBMC

No problems so far.

Quote:-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. Installing the required Ubuntu packages

[...]

Again... no problem.

4. How to compile

[...]

Problems spotted! No

1, It took me about 2 hours to figure out:
- that I have to change to another directory
- How I change the directory
- that there is a difference between cd xbmc an cd XBMC

Again... in the old days of MS-DOS it was totally clear to switch in the directory were an .exe file was located if want to start it... but Linux is new to me... and a followed the readme step by step without thinking to much... unfortunately 2 steps were missing.

- Evin - 2008-02-25

PS:

After I started XBMC I only got 2fps... lol
I dont use an Intel-CPU... my CPU is an Athlon Dual-Core. But I was so frustrated, so I gave up.

- topfs2 - 2008-02-25

Linux isn't that much difference. The configure your running ./configure is a executable. "./" means "this directory". cd is the same linux/windows.

But good you got it working by yourself atleast. Linux is wonderfull when you get to know it Smile

I would have to guess you are needing new drivers for your graphicscard (Again same as windows, they aren't installed by default).

There are 2 options, either use envy (Not recomended on ATI card) or use ubuntu's own restricted-manager. Should pop up automaticly in the upper right if you use gnome, lower right if kde. But the command #sudo restricted-manager works. To see this works do # glxinfo | grep direct
It should say direct rendering yes

Note, XBMC linux IS pre alpha. When we think it's safe for the average user you will only have to do: #sudo apt-get install xbmc

- Evin - 2008-02-25

Topfs2 Wrote:But good you got it working by yourself atleast. Linux is wonderfull when you get to know it Smile

Hehe, finally it was a qustion of honor... I hate it to be defeated by an (stupid) machine/program. Laugh

Quote:I would have to guess you are needing new drivers for your graphicscard (Again same as windows, they aren't installed by default).

Yeah, probably you are totaly right.

The only Problem is that my LCD won't work... for the installation I used an old CRT. When I start Ubuntu i can see the orange backgrund with the logo and then my LCD "lose" the connection.

I tried to recofig the "server" (or whatever it is called) in the "recovery modus".

I can't remember exactly... I think it was some kind of "sudo reconfugure xserver xorg"-thingy.

Then som kind of menue started and I chose proper display-resolution... but I don't know if i was doing right... after I chose 24bit-colour-setting an error-message/whatever said something like "re-writing existing config blabla..."

I'm not sure if it have done the re-config or not.

Anyways... after this menue I restartet the whole thing via some restart /etc/blabla... Huh

- topfs2 - 2008-02-25

I know I had problems with my LCD tv in feisty, linux couldn't pick up the esid or something, though with the nvidia drivers it got sorted, but gutsy never had this problem (for me Smile ) Though my ordinary LCD's have almost always worked (Though I have nvidia which provide great linux drivers)
To install envy:
Code:
# cd
# wget http://albertomilone.com/ubuntu/nvidia/scripts/ubuntu/envy_0.9.10-0ubuntu2_all.deb
# sudo dpkg -i envy_0.9.10-0ubuntu2_all.deb
# sudo envy -t
Then you have to choose 1 for nvidia or 3 for ati. If you have ati some have problems with video playback (a while back don't know if it is present) with envy.

Then you should just follow onscreen. It will ask you to configure xserver or xorg. You should choose yes. And it will ask you if you want to reboot, do so and pray that your screen loves you.

Btw, is it a lcd computer screen or lcd tv? because tv can be troublesome

- Evin - 2008-02-25

It's a HP w2207h.

I tried VGA and HDMI... both with the same failure...

Later at home I will try your solution with envy. Big Grin

Thx!

- topfs2 - 2008-02-25

Extremely weird it doesn't work in VGA atleast. Then it should be the exact same thing as using a CRT but well.

If you have ati I sugest you install it with
# sudo restricted-manager
though, but then you WILL have to have some X running, like your old crt.

But well, good luck in you ventures Smile

- Evin - 2008-02-25

Yeah... it's odd.

BTW: I'm using a Nvidia-Chipset (Geforce 6150)... should be fine...?

- matt777 - 2008-02-25

I got it all working and yay.. very cool.

was only getting 2 FPS too then updated the nvidia drivers and fixed issue.

But:
How do I get rid of the bar at the top of the xbmc screen stating cpu usage and ram etc.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Linux build looks promising.

- snappz - 2008-02-25

the easy way is with the 'quiet' flag
./XboxMediaCenter -q

or configure with --disable-debug

It is all in the readme