Kodi Community Forum
Technical reasons for Estuary? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Kodi related discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Technical reasons for Estuary? (/showthread.php?tid=315087)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Technical reasons for Estuary? - frankvw - 2017-05-26

So Kodi's default skin has been changed from good ol' Confluence to the All New & Improved Estuary. Some love it, some hate it-- deal with it. That's a pointless discussion I'm not interested in. Smile

What I am curious about is: were there technical reasons for replacing Confluence with Estuary?

I do note that many who installed Confluence from the repo on Kodi 17 complain about settings that have disappeared after a reboot, especially (but not exclusively) on the Raspberry Pi 2 and 3. I'm having the same problem, as well as serious stability issues that I suspect may also be skin related. (I'm currently using Xonfluence).

Or was Estuary simply a style choice in line with, say, Windows 8's Metro interface and similar styles?

Just curious... Big Grin

RE: Technical reasons for Estuary? - Martijn - 2017-05-26

We were sick of confluence and wanted something new that included most new coding tech we had. We felt that confluence was definitely not the first user friendly choice to get started with Kodi.

For those who still wanted Confluence our skinner Hitcher volunteered to maintain it for at least one version and now he also updated it for v18 already.

RE: Technical reasons for Estuary? - frankvw - 2017-05-26

(2017-05-26, 14:18)Martijn Wrote: We were sick of confluence and wanted something new that included most new coding tech we had.
The latter (refreshing chunks of aging code) makes total sense to me.

(2017-05-26, 14:18)Martijn Wrote: We felt that confluence was definitely not the first user friendly choice to get started with Kodi.
I've never felt that way and I've always liked Confluence (much more so than Estuary, in fact) but that's just me. Personal taste and all that.

But if I understand you correctly there should be no technical reasons (other than as yet unresolved bugs) why previous generation skins shouldn't work properly on Kodi 17?

No technical reasons at at. It was the most tested and stable skin out there and it was always kept updated.

Any older skins need to be updated to v17 code changes. Same will again happen for v18 where they need to update to get it working as it should.

As you said taste differ. Some of the team still use Confluence and other Estuary or other skins. It's just what you like to use.

RE: Technical reasons for Estuary? - trogggy - 2017-05-26

(2017-05-26, 14:16)frankvw Wrote: I do note that many who installed Confluence from the repo on Kodi 17 complain about settings that have disappeared after a reboot, especially (but not exclusively) on the Raspberry Pi 2 and 3. I'm having the same problem, as well as serious stability issues that I suspect may also be skin related. (I'm currently using Xonfluence).
Just to chip in and say I've been using xonfluence on krypton since it was first available (a good few months ago) and it's been rock-solid. Post in the skin thread if you have an issue, but I honestly doubt any 'serious stability issues' are down to the skin. Saying that I turn off everything I can so you never know.

(2017-05-26, 14:45)trogggy Wrote: Just to chip in and say I've been using xonfluence on krypton since it was first available (a good few months ago) and it's been rock-solid. Post in the skin thread if you have an issue, but I honestly doubt any 'serious stability issues' are down to the skin. Saying that I turn off everything I can so you never know.
That's good to know! I just have a feeling it's skin related but that does not amount to proper trouble shooting. :-) It's just that I managed to crash Kodi into a reboot of my RPi3 by simply clicking around in the skin using the remote control, something I've had since the migration to Kodi 17. After the reboot many but not all of my skin and other settings have reverted to a previous configuration. Which is what others were also complaining about, so that had me wondering.

I plan to revert to an out-of-the-box config and then install add-ons, skins, visualizations and what not one by one until things go boom. But thanks for the encouragement! It means there's hope for me yet to sort this out. I'm just hoping it's not related to my RPi3, but we'll see.

Tnx!

RE: Technical reasons for Estuary? - natethomas - 2017-05-26

Estuary started with a discussion of how the Confluence user experience wasn't up to par with modern interfaces and needed a refresh. Here is my original post when suggesting a major shift away from Confluence.
Quote:To start out, I'd like to suggest watching the first 8 minutes or so of this video deconstructing the ideas behind material design. A quick summary is that design should be easy to understand. The user should be able to see that his or her actions clearly caused an action. The most important elements of a screen should be plainly visible. And any important actions on a screen be highlighted and colored in such a way as to differentiate.

While I don't necessarily suggest that we simply take something like the Android TV design for our own, I think we'd definitely benefit from the ideas they are pushing with material design. Also, I think we should start not with what's possible in Kodi, but with what would be preferred in an ideal environment.

I have some ideas for what I think might be nice. I may wireframe those in the next few days. A quick summary of those ideas, though, is that most, if not all, content should be as accessible as possible from the home screen. The parts of the home screen dealing with content should clearly be separated from the parts dealing with settings, system, etc. Doing something like adding a new video source should be related to existing media, if there is any, but also marginally differentiated, to make clear that you are looking at an action. Also, when you add a video source, the very first question should be a visual representation of the question "What kind of content does this source contain?" That should not be a question relagated to the end like some kind of afterthought.

Adding a source should be clear with every step, should use as much imagery as possible, and should not show windows densely packed with words. Also, once a source has been added, if it creates a home menu, like adding TV Shows for the first time, an animation should clearly show this behavior occur on the home screen.

Pretty-fying imagery should be limited, preferably existing only to better explain what's happening on the screen.

This one might be the most controversial: Selecting a piece of content should not automatically play it. Instead, it should launch an info screen where clicking again results in playing the video, but most of the available options currently found in the context menu and already existing info screen are made available to the user.

And here's the original wireframe.

What I think is really noteworthy about that initial post and the discussion that followed is that it is entirely library-centric. We went in with the idea of pulling content to the front, but that content was exclusively library content. For the damned dirty pirates Smile (or even just people who regularly use addons more), this actually resulted in an unexpected step backwards, because the content they were most interested in, links to their addons, went from being immediately visible to a little bit buried in menus. This is solvable by hiding the menus the user doesn't want, so addons becomes the top menu, but for people used to Confluence, that may have been confusing. And so we end up with a system that's AWESOME for library users and meh for addon users.

In retrospect, if we could do it over again, I'd probably have tried to introduce Estuary in the same release as montellese's Media Import work, whenever it's possible to import the content of addons as well as upnp libraries. Setting aside the piracy addons, his work would make it possible to pull legit content from addons into the library, which would make for a much easier user experience. Imagine the estuary library filled with Amazon Prime and Netflix content combined together in a single interface on the home screen. How cool would that be?

(2017-05-26, 15:09)natethomas Wrote: And so we end up with a system that's AWESOME for library users and meh for addon users.
I'd guess anyone used to custom shortcuts wouldn't find the default skin AWESOME. For me that's all it's missing - the rest is a question of taste. I understand why they're not there, but being able to stick smart playlists, favourites, video nodes etc on the screen is what makes the difference for me - and I'd guess plenty of others. I don't want to click 'Movies' or 'TV Shows', I want to click 'Family Films' or 'Cartoons'. I don't want to scroll down to 'TV', then click 'Channels', then left, then group, then down down down down down then ok. I want to click 'News'. And I don't want to go back into 'News next time I click 'TV'.
This isn't a complaint though - I can do all that already, just not in the default skin.

(2017-05-26, 15:09)natethomas Wrote: Here is my original post when suggesting a major shift away from Confluence.

Very interesting reading, and thank you! I understand your choices and the reasons for them better now.

Your desire to make the user interface more intuitive and usable may be insufficiently understood, seeing as most people (including myself) initially judge by taste rather than methodology. Personally I don't like the style and the looks of Estuary and rather prefer something that's easier on the eyes than a field of solid colored rectangles. Which proves you can't please everyone. Smile

(2017-05-26, 15:53)trogggy Wrote: I'd guess anyone used to custom shortcuts wouldn't find the default skin AWESOME. For me that's all it's missing - the rest is a question of taste.

Yeah, custom shortcuts were one of those things we spent a lot of time going back and forth on. At significant issue (if I remember right) is that they aren't cleanly done in the underlying code, which means to get them in a skin requires some hacking, which was frowned upon for a default, vanilla skin. And figuring out how to do them right in the underlying code was something nobody was willing or able to take on at the time.

There is actually a wishlist a mile long of pieces of GUI code that we'd like updated. Beyond cleanly allowing for shortcuts, a big one is allowing for multiple lists outside of the homepage. So, for example, when I open the Rooster Teeth addon, I'm presented with top level folders, and to see what's inside, I have to drill down another level. Ideally, each of those folders should actually be a heading, and all the content should be accessible and visible from every heading all at once, just like how the different headings in Movies works in the home screen in Estuary.

But with volunteer open source, you always take what you can get and try to prioritize the most important things first.

(2017-05-26, 16:30)frankvw Wrote: Your desire to make the user interface more intuitive and usable may be insufficiently understood, seeing as most people (including myself) initially judge by taste rather than methodology. Personally I don't like the style and the looks of Estuary and rather prefer something that's easier on the eyes than a field of solid colored rectangles. Which proves you can't please everyone. Smile

Indeed you cannot, which is, to some extent, why it makes sense to focus on usability rather than looks for a default skin. In a lot of ways, the default skin is more of a roadmap, providing the functionality so that other skins can pretty-fy to the taster of users.

(2017-05-26, 17:11)natethomas Wrote:
(2017-05-26, 15:53)trogggy Wrote: I'd guess anyone used to custom shortcuts wouldn't find the default skin AWESOME. For me that's all it's missing - the rest is a question of taste.

Yeah, custom shortcuts were one of those things we spent a lot of time going back and forth on. At significant issue (if I remember right) is that they aren't cleanly done in the underlying code, which means to get them in a skin requires some hacking, which was frowned upon for a default, vanilla skin. And figuring out how to do them right in the underlying code was something nobody was willing or able to take on at the time.

There is actually a wishlist a mile long of pieces of GUI code that we'd like updated. Beyond cleanly allowing for shortcuts, a big one is allowing for multiple lists outside of the homepage. So, for example, when I open the Rooster Teeth addon, I'm presented with top level folders, and to see what's inside, I have to drill down another level. Ideally, each of those folders should actually be a heading, and all the content should be accessible and visible from every heading all at once, just like how the different headings in Movies works in the home screen in Estuary.

But with volunteer open source, you always take what you can get and try to prioritize the most important things first.
No problem with any of that - I'm not even saying eg custom shortcuts or any other particular feature should be in the default skin. More that the default skin is a good place to start but might be a step backwards for people who have already experimented. I'm pretty sure the first hack (with custom shortcuts) was announced on the forum about 5 minutes* after estuary emerged.
I can see the attraction of your addon example - it's the sort of thing that presumably would be picked up pretty quickly by skinners here for their own use, so improvements like that will filter down.

* possibly 10 or 15.

We do not want hacks in our default skin and that was something that was decided before we started. We either do it correctly or we don't. What other skins do is up to them

(2017-05-26, 17:26)Martijn Wrote: We do not want hacks in our default skin and that was something that was decided before we started. We either do it correctly or we don't. What other skins do is up to them
Who are you arguing with?

I'm clarifying