Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX/MAC/WINDOWS] Blu-ray Disc support in XBMC? With menus and AACS/BD+ decryption? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: [LINUX/MAC/WINDOWS] Blu-ray Disc support in XBMC? With menus and AACS/BD+ decryption? (/showthread.php?tid=31630)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

- spiff - 2011-02-23

uhm, that has been available for at least a year. see the stick in the HOWTO.

- Philmatic - 2011-02-23

spiff Wrote:uhm, that has been available for at least a year. see the stick in the HOWTO.

Without quoting who you're replying to we have no idea what you are talking about.

- spiff - 2011-02-23

... the posts right before mine?

- Philmatic - 2011-02-24

spiff Wrote:... the posts right before mine?

Which is someone agreeing with the desire for XBMC to play Blu-Ray discs automatically upon insertion and/or making the "Play Disc" option work for Blu-Ray, are you saying that it does? I'm not aware of it ever working for Blu-Ray.

I don't want you to think I'm trying to piss you off, I just would like clarification.

- spiff - 2011-02-24

yes, you can assign an external player to the bd:// protocol, as explained in the sticky i pointed to. with autoplay on, we will then play those discs on insertion using the configured player.

- Philmatic - 2011-02-25

spiff Wrote:yes, you can assign an external player to the bd:// protocol, as explained in the sticky i pointed to. with autoplay on, we will then play those discs on insertion using the configured player.

Is there anyway to configure it to play within XBMC? I think what we'd like to see is upon the insertion of a Blu-Ray disc, XBMC detects it and starts playing the main movie right away. Just like it does for DVDs now (Except without menus obviously).

- mrchrister - 2011-04-16

any news on bluray support?
I bought a bluray burner the other day not being sure if it would be supported by my hackintosh...well it is... but i cant really use it, there is just no software for playblack! I really hope there will be a solution for xbmc soon!

- mrchrister - 2011-04-28

is it not possible due to the copy protection?

- tobi11 - 2011-04-28

Playback with Menus isn't possible, because there is no open-source implementation with everything needed to play any Blu-ray out there.
There are implementations of the copy-protection algorithms, but I don't know if they are complete. To use them you need keys from your Blu-rays and your drive.

- tocinillo - 2011-04-28

And play BD without menus with XBMC internal player is possible? Because pre 11 works perfectly with BD ISO's (without menus).

Regards.

- tobi11 - 2011-04-28

Unencrypted Blu-ray support without menus is included since XBMC 10.0.
.iso's might not work, but you can unpack them.

- spiff - 2011-04-28

read again - he said isos worked.

no, we can't play originals. they are riddled with crappy drm. those who have broken it, choose to profit on it rather than releasing the info to the community.

- mrchrister - 2011-05-05

thanks for the explanation!
that's really a bummer...
Isn't it possible to somehow find out how makemkv is doing it? i mean at least i can play blurays like that...except without subtitles, audio track selection and menus (kind of all the feature that are nice about blurays)

- -EaS- - 2011-06-24

Any news on the Blu-ray menu part of things?

What I gathered so far:
  • libbluray supports playback of Blu-ray's stripped of DRM ('ripped' blu-rays). Either in *.iso or folder structure form.
  • libbluray also supports the following two types of menus (or better 'authoring modes'): HDMV and BD-J (Blu-ray Disc Java)
  • XBMC supports playback of 'ripped' Blu-rays (either in *.iso or folder form) through libbluray
  • XBMC does not support the navigation ('menus') part of libbluray

Correct?

So since libbluray supports Blu-ray navigation, the absence of using menu's has to be xbmc's problem.

My question on this: Would enabling menu support (at least the more simple HDMV version), through libbluray, in xbmc, be just flipping some bits - or would it mean quite some work?

- davilla - 2011-06-24

-EaS- Wrote:Any news on the Blu-ray menu part of things?

What I gathered so far:
  • libbluray supports playback of Blu-ray's stripped of DRM ('ripped' blu-rays). Either in *.iso or folder structure form.
  • libbluray also supports the following two types of menus (or better 'authoring modes'): HDMV and BD-J (Blu-ray Disc Java)
  • XBMC supports playback of 'ripped' Blu-rays (either in *.iso or folder form) through libbluray
  • XBMC does not support the navigation ('menus') part of libbluray

Correct?

So since libbluray supports Blu-ray navigation, the absence of using menu's has to be xbmc's problem.

My question on this: Would enabling menu support (at least the more simple HDMV version), through libbluray, in xbmc, be just flipping some bits - or would it mean quite some work?

it would be some work, patches welcome.