Kodi Community Forum
Near 100% CPU in fullscreen - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: Near 100% CPU in fullscreen (/showthread.php?tid=32159)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

- d00chris - 2008-09-22

tslayer Wrote:You may only be able to do it via ATI and not programmatically. I don't know to be honest.

You mean that the function used by XBMC when querying vsync status is not functioning correctly for ATI? Seems like that may very well be the case.

However, according to information in this thread, the vsync setting for ATI can be read from "/etc/ati/amdpcsdb" through the flag "VSyncControl".

Don't know if this is of any help though.

- d00chris - 2008-09-22

By the way, I have "VSyncControl=V3" which should mean that the vsync slider in Catalyst is in the rightmost position (=ON).

- tslayer - 2008-09-22

Did you try the patch yet?

- tslayer - 2008-09-22

Oh, not sure I mentioned this thread yet, but please look at it with regards to ati and catalyst driver issues:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=217999

- User 29008 - 2008-09-22

tslayer, can you tell us a bit more about XBMCs behaviour that leads to that error when trying to initialize VSYNC? I mean, what exactly is XBMC checking for? General VSYNC support of the driver? Or specifically VSYNC for OpenGL? Is there a difference at all?

boba

- shagworthy_uk - 2008-09-22

tslayer Wrote:About 1% on my 8600 GT when idling (according to top).

But I don't have cool'n quiet since I OCed my AMD.

But that makes sense if you are throttled to 1000 Smile

Looks good!

If you disable cool n' quiet, you'd probably have lower cpu. But essentially means the same thing Smile

So just to clarify, what config do you have your system in. Vsync(xorg/nvidia-setings/xbmc)/noflip/refresh rate of screen? I know this is an odd request but could you be so kind to send me your Xorg.0.log so i can see what options you have enabled/disabled etc.

It did not even cross my mind to think that some of the fluctuations could be caused by the powernow daemon, that is getting killed tonight!

So close i can almost smell it! Big Grin

- kknull - 2008-09-22

I had the same problem with ati x1600
now I tried with "vsync default off except application setting" in catalyst control center
and "vsync on during playback" in xbmc

and now seems to work fine.. cpu < 10%

catalyst 8.9
xbmc beta1

- soder - 2008-09-22

kknull Wrote:I had the same problem with ati x1600
now I tried with "vsync default off except application setting" in catalyst control center
and "vsync on during playback" in xbmc

and now seems to work fine.. cpu < 10%

catalyst 8.9
xbmc beta1

I tried the same you said now.
GA-MA78GM-S2H and AMD 4850e
Catalyst 8.9
xbmc Beta1
"vsync default off except application setting" in catalyst control center
"vsync on during playback" in xbmc

BUT, still 95-100 % cpu with checking with "top".

I havnt applied any patches...should I?

/Söder

- kknull - 2008-09-22

Hi, I forget to say that I use the nopat kernel option (I don't know if can be important...) because I get some flickering and slowlyness without it starting from catalyst 8.8

- kknull - 2008-09-22

... and I didn't applied any patches (I think... I will contact the package maintainer...)

- kknull - 2008-09-24

no patch are applied...

- shagworthy_uk - 2008-09-24

shagworthy_uk Wrote:So just to clarify, what config do you have your system in. Vsync(xorg/nvidia-setings/xbmc)/noflip/refresh rate of screen? I know this is an odd request but could you be so kind to send me your Xorg.0.log so i can see what options you have enabled/disabled etc.

It did not even cross my mind to think that some of the fluctuations could be caused by the powernow daemon, that is getting killed tonight!

So close i can almost smell it! Big Grin

So after killing powernowd cpu is at 1% when idle... I recommend killing powernowd before testing any config as this can be a red herring.

I am getting "some" tearing during video playback now so may play with the settings again now that powernowd is not amplifying the issue (or appearing to)

On a side note, in the latest build (15682) livetv works again for myth protocol so im really cooking on gas now!Laugh

- User 29008 - 2008-09-24

shagworthy_uk Wrote:So after killing powernowd cpu is at 1% when idle... I recommend killing powernowd before testing any config as this can be a red herring.

I am getting "some" tearing during video playback now so may play with the settings again now that powernowd is not amplifying the issue (or appearing to)

On a side note, in the latest build (15682) livetv works again for myth protocol so im really cooking on gas now!Laugh

Powernowd isn't "amplifying" anything. Of course your cpu usage in% is higher when powernowd has your cpu throttled to let's say 1ghz instead running at 2.5 ghz .... makes sense, doesn't it? You gotta choose if you want to have your cpu running full speed all the time, thus eating more juice, or if you want powernowd to clock it down when not needed.

boba

- althekiller - 2008-09-25

What choice is there to make? XBMC is consuming the same amount of CPU regardless. But w/o scaling you're eating WAY more power. The obvious choice is to reenable scaling and just remember that your CPU is scaled so the numbers are larger.

- shagworthy_uk - 2008-09-25

I totally agree and totally understand how stepping/scaling works, all i was saying was: if your trying to fine tune your CPU usage, if you disable powernowd while you are doing it you will get accurate results instead of mixed results with powernowd running. Yes powernowd should be re-enabled after you have fixed the CPU usage issues. I also said/meant: "appear to be amplifying" as in "perceived to be...".