Kodi Community Forum
Near 100% CPU in fullscreen - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: Near 100% CPU in fullscreen (/showthread.php?tid=32159)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

- phunqe - 2008-08-20

Always had vsynch off Smile

- Peevy - 2008-08-26

Hi all. I'd first like to start by saying thanks to the Xbmc team for porting Xbmc to linux. I think its a brilliant media centre program & especially looks wonderful with the Aeon skin.

yellowman Wrote:Hi,

One thing that worked for me, Open Nvidia x server settings, go to Open gl settings, uncheck the box called "Allow flipping"(or similar).

No idea what it means, or if it´s bad... But it could be worth a try.

This also seemed to work for me, just thought I'd let you know.

Thanks again to all in the Xbmc Team.

Same issue here ubuntu 8.04 with ATI 3950HD - cornbread - 2008-08-28

Exact same issue here... Sad

- axys - 2008-08-31

Hello,

- Just after install : cpu 100% No

- try the "export set __GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK=0" : cpu 94% - 96% Oo (and bad animation in video)

- add Option "NoFlip" "1" in Section "Device" in the xorg.conf : cpu 1% Big Grin

(core2duo 7200 and nvidia 8500gt)

If this can help...

Axys

- freddyflinty - 2008-09-01

I'm having the same problem...

I tried NoFlip 1 xorg.conf setting and that solved the 100% CPU issue (my CPU has only one core but has hyperthreading and only one of those "cores" is pegged) which sets my CPU fan to "loud as hell" mode.

However, with XBMC's vertical sync setting turned off I get choppy video (panning scenes and so on). With it turned on, I get lost frames.

The same video plays (no lost frames, smooth panning) with vertical sync turned on and without the NoFlip setting...

I'm running a P4 3.2 GHz with Nvidia 8400, very latest drives, latest ubuntu, and the video is 720p h.264...

What's the export setting? Will that solve it or should I just wait for a new XBMC?

axys Wrote:Hello,

- Just after install : cpu 100% No

- try the "export set __GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK=0" : cpu 94% - 96% Oo (and bad animation in video)

- add Option "NoFlip" "1" in Section "Device" in the xorg.conf : cpu 1% Big Grin

(core2duo 7200 and nvidia 8500gt)

If this can help...

Axys

- phunqe - 2008-09-01

The NoFlip option worked for me as well now. Strangely enough it did not work in previous attempts.

- User 29008 - 2008-09-07

Any news on this issue? I still get at least 60% load on each core when idling in XBMC interface. Latest Catalyst 8.8 manual install, noflip set to 1. I can't play around with vsync too much, since I get tearing in video when I have it disabled. I have set the option in XBMC to "enable Vsync in video only" though.

boba

- Musta78 - 2008-09-18

ovyg Wrote:I've tried reverting the change, but it doesn't work for me on the ATI card -- still 100% CPU.

Instead, see this patch: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/4382 , which I think is the proper solution for drivers with this behaviour.

I've also opened a bug against the ATI driver, as promised: http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1223

How do you use the patch? Should you copy/paste everything in the advancedsettings.xml?

Have the same problem and would love to trie this patch, but can't figure out howConfused

- frumpy_uk - 2008-09-18

Musta78 Wrote:How do you use the patch? Should you copy/paste everything in the advancedsettings.xml?

Have the same problem and would love to trie this patch, but can't figure out howConfused

Same here, although I suspect the patch is used when compiling from source - something I'm not equipped for Rolleyes

- shagworthy_uk - 2008-09-19

Just a thought, should this thread be split into 2. Nvidia and Ati?

Ok so if i set "GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK=" to "0" then i get my processor flit about between 9% and 32% while idle (and depending on what screen im idling on).
It seems no matter what i do then with flipping or "sync to vertical blank" in the nvidia driver while this is set it will stay at this level. very little change when playing with "sync to vblank" in xbmc when this is set.
Navigating and video playback is terible in this config.

Set the "GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK=" back to 1 and recompiled from svn (but from a testing frount did something bad, svn up (15639) before recompiling (idiot)) and now it is doing the same thing, flitting between 9% and 32% regardless of the option but with flipping on, and sync to vblank in nvidia driver and xbmc it looks good at the moment. I will have a play and see what is going on as before with flipping on it would rocket to 100%+, but would be much much smoother playing video. with vsync off it would tear all the time in both video and menu and with it on look ok but drop lots of frames resulting in poor playback in fast scenes and panning of camera.

Until i played with GL_SYNC.... I was able to reproduce the numbers each time.

I will build from scratch tomorrow and try this again. If there is specific test procedure you would like me to follow, let me know. I honestly will do almost anything to have a cool "quiet" system i can leave on all day so myth can "do its thang" and i can use the "greatest media center on earth" when ever i feel like it with out delays.

- althekiller - 2008-09-19

__GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK is an env var. You can set it in the terminal at runtime "export __GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK=1 xbmc" instead of wasting time recompiling.

- shagworthy_uk - 2008-09-20

Cool, thanks!

Ok so I have an almost working solution after an hour or so of fiddling with settings:
with __GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK set to 0 then no matter what i set in xbmc or the nvidia-settings it always stays between 9% - 32% when idling at the home screen. Video tears also but curbed by using "vertical blank sync during video playback".

With __GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK set to 1 and vsync enabled in nvidia-settings (both xv and opengl) and vblank sync disabled in XBMC on the home screen it fluctuates between 2% - 15%!!! but video tears which can be curbed by using "vertical blank sync during video playback". So very happy now!!

Negatives: (there had to be some didnt there!, sorry)
* Moving fast through menus such as movies starts fast then congests so not smooth anymore. Same in TV Shows.
* Idling in any screen other than the homes screen, such as movies or TV results in 25% - 35% cpu, even when the screen blanks.

But for now this is a massive improvement for me! hope this helps.

Oh and im using Team Razofish's Mediastream skin v0.91 if that helps replicate this etc.

- Musta78 - 2008-09-21

*Bump*
Musta78 Wrote:How do you use the patch? Should you copy/paste everything in the advancedsettings.xml?

- User 29008 - 2008-09-21

@devs

can you give us a kinda status on the high cpu load problem? Just wanted to know if there is a real solution in the works that will fix both ati and nvidia users. I think you agree with us all, that a media center which idles at 80% cpu+ while just not being used is not really a good thing. No offense.

boba

- tslayer - 2008-09-21

boba23: Have you tried the new version? I don't think linux shows high cpu anymore when used in combination with noflip and the proper vsync setting.

If you are still seeing high cpu, then paste your xorg.conf's relevant settings as well as the vsync setting you are using. My suggestion is set Opengl Vsync in your driver configu (such as Nvidia Settings) and inside XBMC set the vsync option to "Let Driver Choose".

TS