Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] GPU assisted video decoding in XBMC for Windows via a custom DXVA renderer? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: [WINDOWS] GPU assisted video decoding in XBMC for Windows via a custom DXVA renderer? (/showthread.php?tid=33323)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

- C-Quel - 2009-06-01

All i can say is good luck with the project Smile and keeping the code to yourself is cool, after all the guys at team-xbmc do what they do because THEY want to, so nothing different here... you want the feature you code it Smile

All the best.

- waldo22 - 2009-06-01

@BrokenCodes,

I think what AltheKiller is trying to say is that Motd2k was met with the same skepticism, and is now dishing it out the same way. (motd2k is the guy that added VDPAU support to the Linux branch, and nobody could believe it until they saw his working code).

I think everyone is hopeful and excited, but some are just too skeptical until they're proven wrong.

If you're having as much success as you say you are (and I think most of us believe you are) then you'll likely be a hero shortly.

I know I for one really appreciate your efforts, and hope you don't decide to keep it to yourself (though that's certainly your right to do so).

As a side note, if you need a bit of help with any coding, hop on IRC and checkout XBMC on freenode. The dev team there could probably help you sort some of those masking issues you're dealing with.

I think that's how Beenje got the help he needed to finish the PowerPC port.

Keep us posted, and thanks for the hard work,

-Wes

- Jeroen - 2009-06-01

BrokenCodes Wrote:Maybe its just me, but it feels like people here like to say "I call bullshit" until proof arrives... which is to entice me to finish my project? What kind of enticement is that? Makes me want to keep my developments to meself...

Strange clique indeed...

Well, considering the long standing wish for GPU accelerated decoding in XBMC I can partly understand the feeling of "that's too good to be true", but as you can tell from the general response is that people are excited about it so please keep the positive comments in mind as well Smile
I hope you continue and take away any doubt anyone would still have Wink

People feel threatened and do small things - dmidi - 2009-06-01

The general churlishness comes from the fact that most XBMC developers feel threatened anytime someone comes along with the 'next best thing'. It's not that they don't believe something will be better, they just don't want to believe their past contributions will lose stature.

Take OpenCL for instance...people get pumped up about a new GPU-CPU coding paradigm and all the handtuning done for CPU codecs is suddenly threatened.

What do threatened parties do when exposed to the subversive force of progress that threatens their status? In the 1940's they held book burning parties. Today, they treat you with less civility and shut down threads (like the Open CL thread).

- watzen - 2009-06-01

dmidi: seriously?! No

- slacker666 - 2009-06-01

dmidi Wrote:The general churlishness comes from the fact that most XBMC developers feel threatened anytime someone comes along with the 'next best thing'. It's not that they don't believe something will be better, they just don't want to believe their past contributions will lose stature.

Take OpenCL for instance...people get pumped up about a new GPU-CPU coding paradigm and all the handtuning done for CPU codecs is suddenly threatened.

What do threatened parties do when exposed to the subversive force of progress that threatens their status? In the 1940's they held book burning parties. Today, they treat you with less civility and shut down threads (like the Open CL thread).

i wonder what your general malfunctioning problem is?

- ashlar - 2009-06-01

dmidi, what you wrote is really ungenerous toward the people that have given so much freely to the community. Sad

Come on people, let's not quarrel like this. It's no use to anybody. Smile

We all want for BrokenCodes claims to be true. They sound so good that some sort of "natural defenses" come up, just to avoid too big of a let down in case it's all a big joke (but at this point I honestly hope it's not).

BrokenCodes, please keep up the good work. If you finish this you'll be the hero of a lot of people, joining the ranks with all the other great XBMC developers.

- eriksmith200 - 2009-06-01

dmidi Wrote:The general churlishness comes from the fact that most XBMC developers feel threatened anytime someone comes along with the 'next best thing'. It's not that they don't believe something will be better, they just don't want to believe their past contributions will lose stature.

I think you are crossing a few lines here

- motd2k - 2009-06-01

dmidi... excuse me, that is possibly the most ridiculous thing i've read on here. In all honesty the skepticism come from knowing what (should) be involved in implementing DXVA properly (ie without the roundtrip).

And really, if brokencodes has been capable of overcoming this, on his own, then he really shouldn't care what is said - it's a very very impressive achievement and i'd be at the front of the crowd saying so.

This 'us vs. them' is daft, I put code into XBMC because i'm a user. I do it in my own time, for no reward (like literally, none). If I suspect someone is trolling then I'll damn well say so... if i'm proven wrong then i'll hold my hands up.

- User 42580 - 2009-06-01

dmidi Wrote:What do threatened parties do when exposed to the subversive force of progress that threatens their status? In the 1940's they held book burning parties. Today, they treat you with less civility and shut down threads.

Shocked

I still can't belive you wrote that...

Back on topic:
I think Freddo summed up the whole feeling around here.

- Avigrace - 2009-06-01

Well I think GPU assisted video decoding on windows would be brilliant, and I would think that coder was brilliant for taking his time to develop it. And I'd hope that developer would have a little smile knowing they did some good work and there were people out there grateful.

- davilla - 2009-06-01

For those that don't know the history, the skepticism comes from BrokenCodes's appearance (different nickname) a month or so ago on IRC claiming an XBMC web browser API using Awesomium. This sounded great but he vanished after a series of postings. Vapor? Maybe, maybe not, who can tell.

Now we get this, claiming windows decode acceleration. Vapor? Maybe, maybe not.

If these things are true, great, more power to BrokenCodes. Seems BrokenCodes chooses to not publish any code until it's finished, that's fine but as motd2k can verify, just because it runs/works does not automatically mean inclusion into XBMC svn. XBMC runs of many different platforms and as such code inclusion must be clean and not break the other platforms.

Ultimately BrokenCodes is in control of this, it's his code after all. But the sooner the code gets published, the sooner XBMC devs can explore integration into XBMC source code.

- HexusOdy - 2009-06-01

I imagine that the pleasure in writing the code comes from the achievement from getting it to work and the challenge of overcoming the problems he's having. Maybe thats where his reluctance to publish it comes from. I think if it was me I'd like to get it to a state where I was 99% happy with it and then open it up.

Maybe it would be better for now for BrokenCodes to keep this thread updated and to ask for specific help where he needs it until he is happy to release the source.

- BrokenCodes - 2009-06-02

@dmidi and others who need meds, and in support of the mods and devs who call bullshattle...

I started an account here around 1 month ago. Brokenbrainedphil... and since lost the password... I am the same guy. I'm known in my circles as "TheBroken" and no, not that Kevin Rose fellow.

I've been an embedded developer since forever ago, making some unsavory files for some foreign folk to make their wares easier to sell to US importers. My history is one of proving the impossible possible, including placing a full emulation of a smartcard in a Set Top Box with less computational power than the original smartcard itself, and having it work flawlessly (So flawlessly that the owners of that smartcard's innards have seen fit to sue me.)

Now with nothing but time on my hands, I have decided to involve my time in the improvement of software I've been using since 2003.

History solved... Now I go back to work.

- feerlessleadr - 2009-06-02

BrokenCodes Wrote:@dmidi and others who need meds, and in support of the mods and devs who call bullshattle...

I started an account here around 1 month ago. Brokenbrainedphil... and since lost the password... I am the same guy. I'm known in my circles as "TheBroken" and no, not that Kevin Rose fellow.

I've been an embedded developer since forever ago, making some unsavory files for some foreign folk to make their wares easier to sell to US importers. My history is one of proving the impossible possible, including placing a full emulation of a smartcard in a Set Top Box with less computational power than the original smartcard itself, and having it work flawlessly (So flawlessly that the owners of that smartcard's innards have seen fit to sue me.)

Now with nothing but time on my hands, I have decided to involve my time in the improvement of software I've been using since 2003.

History solved... Now I go back to work.

Good luck to you.

Can't wait to see (and test!!!!) your hard work.