Kodi Community Forum
[XBOX] HOW-TO encode videos in H.264 to be able to achieve playback on the Xbox - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: [XBOX] HOW-TO encode videos in H.264 to be able to achieve playback on the Xbox (/showthread.php?tid=33429)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

- david81 - 2008-12-02

JPSiemer Wrote:1. No need to re-rip or extract to a folder. Like I stated in the previous post, just mount the ISO as a virtual CD (with a program such as DAEMON Tools), navigate to the Video_TS folder on the DVD in MeGUI's D2V creator, select the video's first VOB as the Video Input, and make sure you set your output to some other folder (because MeGUI cannot write to optical media). After that follow the Wiki exactly as you normally would and you got yourself a DVD rip, while keeping your ISO intact!

2. The Handbrake forum is full of assholes. Don't go there.

3. Again, Handbrake is crap. It's inferior because it uses inferior plugins, it doesn't allow you to use your own plugins, it's buggy, it doesn't update itself on a daily basis, and it is using an outdated version of the x264 codec, which you have no control over.

And those of you on Mac OSX or Linux and need the settings translated to Handbrake should just do it yourselves. It's quite easy... you look at a MeGUI setting and click the appropriate box in Handbrake -- you do that over and over until you've run out of settings and you have yourself some brand new xBox264 Handbrake settings!

Hope that helps Wink

1. The main problem with that is my plan to batch process all the files. I had hoped to set up most of the files to process on my server machine and walk away for a few days. I'd run out of virtual drive letters pretty quickly with 100+ ISOs.

2. So far so good on the Handbrake forum. No @$$holes yet.

3. I haven't experienced the bugginess yet. Although I admittedly haven't been using it for an extended period of time yet. Seems as though it was updated to the most recent x264 as of November 23rd. That's recent enough for me right now. Besides, if it came down to it, I could just go compile my own from the SVN.

- romi7519 - 2008-12-03

wasn't handbrake supposedly made for dummies? u know, ppl converting their first rip in one click etc?

if someone wants proof of handbrake being 'crap', just do an encode with megui & handbrake of the same source, same bitrate etc. and u will instantly see the difference!

adiós.

- Geeba - 2008-12-05

romi7519 Wrote:wasn't handbrake supposedly made for dummies? u know, ppl converting their first rip in one click etc?

if someone wants proof of handbrake being 'crap', just do an encode with megui & handbrake of the same source, same bitrate etc. and u will instantly see the difference!

adiós.

Meaning? Huh

- Scott R - 2008-12-05

JPSiemer Wrote:1. No... you don't get what I'm saying. You don't even need a BD/HDDVD drive to reencode a Blu-Ray to a standard definition video compatible with XBMC For Xbox. All you need is a 4.5-10GB scene BDRip (from http://scenereleases.info/category/movies/movies-bluray-rip) and just use that as your source file in the AviSynth Script Creator instead of a D2V. This will give you much a cleaner looking video than you will get from a DVD because DVD's are already encoded with HORRIBLE looking MPEG2... and we all know that MPEG2 is already a very lossy codec -- especially at the bitrates that DVDs are constrained to. So, in clonclusion, if you download a lot of DVD's off torrent sites, STOP wasting your time and download the BDRips! Then make proper Xbox-compatible rips from them, and then upload them to ThePirateBay or ******** so that I can download them from you! Laugh
What if I *do* own a Blu-Ray ROM drive and want to rip my Blu-ray discs to a format that offers better-than-DVD PQ and 5.1 sound? Is there a simple process for doing that or is it time consuming and manually intensive? Right now I rip my DVD's to ISO files and it only takes a couple of clicks of my mouse and 20 minutes later I have an ISO file. I'd be willing to pay for software that would allow me to rip my Blu-ray discs, if the process was simple and the filesizes were 10GB or less.

- Jhcheslik - 2008-12-06

Scott R Wrote:What if I *do* own a Blu-Ray ROM drive and want to rip my Blu-ray discs to a format that offers better-than-DVD PQ and 5.1 sound? Is there a simple process for doing that or is it time consuming and manually intensive? Right now I rip my DVD's to ISO files and it only takes a couple of clicks of my mouse and 20 minutes later I have an ISO file. I'd be willing to pay for software that would allow me to rip my Blu-ray discs, if the process was simple and the filesizes were 10GB or less.

Now, if you actually do own those Blu-Ray, then go to doom9 forum. Look in Decrypting section. They got sticky for the tools list... very helpful!

Good luck. Smile

(PS. I have no idea if it take forever or whatso.)

- Jhcheslik - 2008-12-06

Okay.

So, while browsing around the XBMC, I decided to take a look at some apple trailer and their video quality blew me off my socks. I was shocked at how beautiful their .h264 video are. So I decided to download some of those .mov off online, and took a peek at them in the MediaInfo. This is what I got.

From Star Trek trailer (download here : Star Trek)

Code:
Video
Format                           : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                   : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC           : No
Format settings, ReFrames        : 2 frames
Codec ID                         : avc1
Codec ID/Info                    : Advanced Video Coding
Duration                         : 2mn 11s
Bit rate mode                    : Variable
Bit rate                         : 1 230 Kbps
Width                            : 640 pixels
Height                           : 272 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 2.35
Frame rate mode                  : Constant
Frame rate                       : 23.976 fps
Resolution                       : 24 bits
Colorimetry                      : 4:2:0
Scan type                        : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.295
Stream size                      : 19.2 MiB (92%)
Encoded date                     : UTC 2008-11-14 17:12:23
Tagged date                      : UTC 2008-11-17 14:17:17

I'm going to try to see if I could do same thing in MeGUI...

The only question in my head is that .mov is only a container right? No effect on the video itself or whateverso?

Edit:: This is what I get from encoding using JPSiemer setting... It seemed like I can't really reproduce what apple trailer did. There isn't enough info. Oh well. Tongue
Code:
Video
Format                           : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                   : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC           : No
Format settings, ReFrames        : 8 frames
Codec ID                         : avc1
Codec ID/Info                    : Advanced Video Coding
Duration                         : 1h 45mn
Bit rate mode                    : Variable
Bit rate                         : 1 500 Kbps
Maximum bit rate                 : 5 549 Kbps
Width                            : 720 pixels
Height                           : 304 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 2.35
Frame rate mode                  : Constant
Frame rate                       : 23.976 fps
Resolution                       : 24 bits
Colorimetry                      : 4:2:0
Scan type                        : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.286
Stream size                      : 1.11 GiB (100%)
Writing library                  : x264 core 64 r977M 2042a19
Encoding settings                : cabac=0 / ref=8 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=7 / psy_rd=1.0:0.0 / brdo=0 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=32 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=3 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=6 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / wpredb=1 / bime=0 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=24 / scenecut=40(pre) / rc=2pass / bitrate=1500 / ratetol=4.0 / qcomp=0.50 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:1.00
Encoded date                     : UTC 2008-12-05 08:24:43
Tagged date                      : UTC 2008-12-05 11:49:35

2nd Edit::

I think I just realized what was going on.

The Apple Trailer's source's quality was way beyond our DVD quality, heck probably better than Blu Ray quality. I think that's why their trailer is so amazing detailed... Figures.

- JPSiemer - 2008-12-07

Jhcheslik Wrote:I think I just realized what was going on.

The Apple Trailer's source's quality was way beyond our DVD quality, heck probably better than Blu Ray quality. I think that's why their trailer is so amazing detailed... Figures.

Yup, that's exactly what they are doing. If you had the same source as they did I'm sure your encode would come out looking the same (maybe even better), because Apple is using very basic settings here.

- EarnheadJ - 2008-12-10

This works great for me using most file types but when I try to input any file that is already in a mkv container I get an error "No combination of filters could be found to render the stream". I know this is a problem with MeGui but I wonder if you have any thoughts? These are large blue ray rips that someone has already encoded that I would like to re encode with your script to play on the xbox. Thanks in advance if you have any ideas. I tried googling the error but not much luck

- Geeba - 2008-12-10

EarnheadJ Wrote:This works great for me using most file types but when I try to input any file that is already in a mkv container I get an error "No combination of filters could be found to render the stream". I know this is a problem with MeGui but I wonder if you have any thoughts? These are large blue ray rips that someone has already encoded that I would like to re encode with your script to play on the xbox. Thanks in advance if you have any ideas. I tried googling the error but not much luck

Yup me too....

- gabbott - 2008-12-10

EarnheadJ Wrote:This works great for me using most file types but when I try to input any file that is already in a mkv container I get an error "No combination of filters could be found to render the stream". I know this is a problem with MeGui but I wonder if you have any thoughts? These are large blue ray rips that someone has already encoded that I would like to re encode with your script to play on the xbox. Thanks in advance if you have any ideas. I tried googling the error but not much luck

If you are getting errors in Megui when trying to open an MKV file to re-encode try the following advice that JPSiemer gave me earlier in this thread that worked for me:

JPSiemer Wrote:2. Delete/Uninstall all codecs and codec packs from your computer (including Vista Codec Pack, Combined Community Codec Pack, etc). Then install Haali Media Splitter (http://haali.cs.msu.ru/mkv/), and FFDShow (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=173941). That might do it for you...

- EarnheadJ - 2008-12-11

gabbott Wrote:If you are getting errors in Megui when trying to open an MKV file to re-encode try the following advice that JPSiemer gave me earlier in this thread that worked for me:

Thanks Gabbott that worked for me

- adrian_sm - 2008-12-13

Hi everyone,

I have been trying to modify the encode settings here for something that both the xbox and an iphone can handle, but without much success. As soon as I put the video in a mp4 container, the iphone can now use it, but the xbox starts having issues, with dropped frames.

Can any of you shed some light on why the container might make that much difference. I am assuming it is some problem with the xbox handling the file, but it could be the way handbrake creates the file....

I would love to have a single format that I can use with both devices, but since I don't use the iphone that much for video playback, I could seperately encode for both. But I feel like I am so close. I have played around with varying the bitrates, and more complex settings to try and find the culprit, but am starting to think it is either a bug with xbox mplayer, or handbrake in creating mp4s.

Any ideas?

Adrian

- JPSiemer - 2008-12-16

adrian_sm Wrote:Any ideas?

To my knowledge, MPlayer handles MP4's just fine. I think it's safe to assume that this is a Handbrake issue. Try MeGUI and post your results.

- adrian_sm - 2008-12-22

JPSiemer Wrote:Try MeGUI and post your results.

Looks like you were right. I have managed to encode some files with MeGUI that play nice with both iPhone and xbox.
Container: MP4
Video settings: iPhone 720x400
Audio settings: FAAC 128kbps

Unfortunately iTunes and the iPhone don't like some of the more advanced settings. So will have to make do. Still much better than the xvid compression I had before.

Handbrake must have been doing something weird. I will have to do one last check, with similar settings on Handbrake as I have working with MeGUI.

Thanks for your help.

Adrian

- Eiji - 2008-12-22

I just tried to convert a 720p MKV with meGUI/AviSynth and JPSiemers profile under Vista x64. I also checked the wiki and did everything correct.

Its my first time encoding/re-encoding a movie file. My PC has a Core 2 Duo 3.3GHz Processor, 4GB of RAM and a Nvidia 8800GT 512MB card.

The problem is that movies take so long to encode, over 6 hours for a 1hr 30min movie.

Is this normal?

Thanks.