Kodi Community Forum
Microsoft DVR-MS video container support request - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Microsoft DVR-MS video container support request (/showthread.php?tid=34)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

- jhiggi - 2006-12-13

First time poster. Like user "-wde-" I am very interested in the possibility of streaming my over the air recorded HD DVR-MS recoreded tv shows. I am using the same Avermedia A180 Digital tuner card. I would be more than happy help with any development in any way possible. I can easily post up pieces or Digital HDTV recorded shows , do any tests that you would like me to perform, or give specific feedback while the develpment process occurs. I hope that it ends up that the Xbox has capable processing power to handle HD DVR-MS files. If not, it's not the end of the world. It sure would be a nice bonus though. Let me know how I can help.

- jhiggi - 2006-12-13

Here is a link to a short HD DVR-MS file I just recorded. I am unable to play it through Xbox Media Center 2.0.1

- jhiggi - 2006-12-13

jhiggi Wrote:Here is a link to a short HD DVR-MS file I just recorded. I am unable to play it through Xbox Media Center 2.0.1
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AST9TB1T

HD DVR-MS file - -wde- - 2006-12-13

John,
Just posted a 2-3 minute NTSC OTA HD clip at http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IGHLK1KJ

feedback - -wde- - 2006-12-14

John,
As far as feedback goes:
SD DVR-MS files seem to work very well, although I did get some syncing issues a few nights ago but have been unable to duplicate the problem since.
HD DVR-MS files attempt to play but I get static and sometimes a very pixelated portion of the frame in the lower right hand side of my screen. It is almost unrecognizable.

You are right about the processing power of the xbox being able to display HD content. To quote xboxmediacenter.com:
[SIZE=1]To make this even clearer XBMC capability on a standard Xbox (with Intel 733Mhz PIII CPU):
- 720x480 pixel video output to 480p HDTV (720x480 progressive) = OK! (eg not upscaled).
- 720x480 pixel video output to 720p HDTV (1280x720 progressive) = OK! (eg upscaled).
- 720x480 pixel video output to 1080i HDTV (1920x1080 interlaced) = OK! (eg upscaled).
- 1280x720 pixel progressive video output to 720p HDTV (native 1280x720 progressive) = FAIL!
- 1920x1080 interlaced video output to 1080i HDTV (native 1920x1080 interlaced) = FAIL!

However, I thought I had read some posts about people being able to play HD content after tweaking some cache settings. So let me ask you this, would the mplayer.dll that you posted, play HD content given enough processing power and memory (or perhaps <<crossing fingers>> optimized cache settings)?

Thanks,
[/SIZE]

- John Donaghy - 2006-12-14

-wde- Wrote:John,
As far as feedback goes:
SD DVR-MS files seem to work very well, although I did get some syncing issues a few nights ago but have been unable to duplicate the problem since.
HD DVR-MS files attempt to play but I get static and sometimes a very pixelated portion of the frame in the lower right hand side of my screen. It is almost unrecognizable.

However, I thought I had read some posts about people being able to play HD content after tweaking some cache settings. So let me ask you this, would the mplayer.dll that you posted, play HD content given enough processing power and memory (or perhaps <<crossing fingers>> optimized cache settings)?

Thanks,
[/SIZE]
[/font]

wde

Thanks for the feedback. I got your HD NTSC file and it doesn't play for me either even on the Windows build of mplayer. I'll have a go at fixing it when I get a chance. Even if I do fix it I'm not hopeful that the xbox will be able to play it though without some kind of hardware upgrade. I'm afraid I dont know much about it though. In order to test this you could use a tool such as DVRMSToolbox to convert the dvr-ms file into an mpeg2 file and see if the xbox can play the converted file.

John

- John Donaghy - 2006-12-14

jhiggi Wrote:http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AST9TB1T

I got this one too and it wont play either. I forgot to ask... were these HD NTSC samples recorded with Windows Media Center?

John

re: are those HD NTSC samples from MCE? - -wde- - 2006-12-16

John,
The sample I posted was recorded with MCE.
FYI, I converted the posted sample to mpg2 with DVR-MS toolbox. It does play in XBMC although at a pathetic frame rate. I got something like 6fps. I tried making adjustments to the cache to no avail. I'm still going to hold out hope that there is a solution to this, other than forking over a lot of money for the modded xboxes with extra ram and a faster processor (dreambox?).
Let me know if I can continue to help.
wde

- anywonder - 2006-12-17

John: the second mplayer.dll is really great, thank you Smile

- anywonder - 2006-12-17

actually I wonder if the xbmc devs will add this into the xbmc builds?

this new version of mplayer.dll plays .flv files better than dvdplayer (which xbmc now uses by default because previous mplayer couldn't play flv's)

- John Donaghy - 2006-12-18

anywonder Wrote:actually I wonder if the xbmc devs will add this into the xbmc builds?

this new version of mplayer.dll plays .flv files better than dvdplayer (which xbmc now uses by default because previous mplayer couldn't play flv's)

Thanks for the feedback on it working for you. I dont think this'll make it into the main build of mplayer.dlll for a while though because I'm guessing it first needs to be accepted into mplayer itself. I've submitted a patch already but it's taking a while for them to review and accept it.

John

- John Donaghy - 2006-12-18

-wde- Wrote:John,
The sample I posted was recorded with MCE.
FYI, I converted the posted sample to mpg2 with DVR-MS toolbox. It does play in XBMC although at a pathetic frame rate. I got something like 6fps. I tried making adjustments to the cache to no avail. I'm still going to hold out hope that there is a solution to this, other than forking over a lot of money for the modded xboxes with extra ram and a faster processor (dreambox?).
Let me know if I can continue to help.
wde

Good to know that it's recorded with MCE, thanks. Which version/rollup are you using? I'm interested because I was able to get sound working by doing something similar to what I had to do to get the Meedio sample working. At first I thought it was a medio-specific issue but now I know it isnt.

Basically the audio stream header contains a number that's supposed to indicate the type of audio - the value isnt what the MS documentation says it should be for both the Meedio sample and your HD sample. In your case the audio is AC3 - not the usual MP3. Not sure if I have enough information to submit a patch to mplayer to get this working permanently though.

Re playing the HD file on the xbox - I wouldn't hold out too much hope on that one (which is a pity because I'd like to do that myself at some point). At the minute I cant even play the file on my windows build of mplayer without dropping frames - and it does play fine using WMP. I'm planning to look into why this doesnt work at some point when I have a chance.

John

- -wde- - 2006-12-20

John Donaghy Wrote:Good to know that it's recorded with MCE, thanks. Which version/rollup are you using? I'm interested because I was able to get sound working by doing something similar to what I had to do to get the Meedio sample working. At first I thought it was a medio-specific issue but now I know it isnt.

Basically the audio stream header contains a number that's supposed to indicate the type of audio - the value isnt what the MS documentation says it should be for both the Meedio sample and your HD sample. In your case the audio is AC3 - not the usual MP3. Not sure if I have enough information to submit a patch to mplayer to get this working permanently though.

Re playing the HD file on the xbox - I wouldn't hold out too much hope on that one (which is a pity because I'd like to do that myself at some point). At the minute I cant even play the file on my windows build of mplayer without dropping frames - and it does play fine using WMP. I'm planning to look into why this doesnt work at some point when I have a chance.

John
John,
Thanks for looking into it.
I'm running version 5.1.2715.2773 (xpsp(wmbla),051011-0745) update rollup 2.

Different kind of dvr-ms issue - Don_Karnia - 2006-12-20

Hilo
I haven't yet connected my XBMC to my LAN, so I've been testing files via data-dvds. Everything else plays fine, but with dvr-ms, the video is in fast-forward but the audio is normal. Tried messing around with the video configuration settings, but nothing helps.
I understand dvr-ms isn't fully compatible yet, but I'm finding it kinda strange that nobody else seems to have this specific problem.
Running XBMC 2.0.1... on a PAL xbox (could that be the problem...?).

Thanks

- John Donaghy - 2006-12-22

Don_Karnia Wrote:Hilo
I haven't yet connected my XBMC to my LAN, so I've been testing files via data-dvds. Everything else plays fine, but with dvr-ms, the video is in fast-forward but the audio is normal. Tried messing around with the video configuration settings, but nothing helps.
I understand dvr-ms isn't fully compatible yet, but I'm finding it kinda strange that nobody else seems to have this specific problem.
Running XBMC 2.0.1... on a PAL xbox (could that be the problem...?).

Thanks

Did you try using the second test version of mplayer.dll I posted a few weeks back?