Kodi Community Forum
Album art in artist view - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Album art in artist view (/showthread.php?tid=34294)

Pages: 1 2

Album art in artist view - SandmanCL - 2008-06-25

Continuing on what's been discussed in this thread:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=30909

I'd like to see album art when browsing the music library by artist. For artist with multiple albums, the first one could be chosen. Or perhaps the last album played ?

- jmarshall - 2008-06-25

Artists can have thumbs (i.e. photos of the artist/band or whatever), which a scan from allmusic.com can pick up for you. Do you not use this?

- SandmanCL - 2008-06-25

I have tried it (manual lookup per artist) and it finds maybe 40% of the artists. And most of the photos seem to be black & white and are of different shapes & proportions. Albums are almost always a perfect square and work better w/ 3D view ("cover flow")

- kraqh3d - 2008-06-25

this is rather ironic. in the original music library, this is kind of how i implemented artist icons, but it wasn't automatic. when the user was at the album listing for an artist, there was a context menu, "set as artist icon", which would make the selected album's cover the artist icon as well.

- spiff - 2008-06-25

i'm very much against this.

why clutter the code (and possibly ui) with something that i'm sure 99% find utterly unwanted? stick your jpg's in the artist folders if you insist.

- kraqh3d - 2008-06-25

i do Smile but that doesn't populate the artists in the database.

- spiff - 2008-06-25

it doesnt? then that's a bug

- kraqh3d - 2008-06-25

to be more accurate, it didn't do that. but i haven't dumped my music database and rescanned since resurfacing. i'll have a play with it. i maintain a /root/music/artist/album/*.mp3 structure so that my artist folders display a folder.jpg when browsing in files view. will it find them or does it just search through the album paths associated to the artist?

- spiff - 2008-06-25

code assumes a

some://protocol/path/artist/album

kinda structure and looks for folder.jpg in the deepest common path of all albums

- kraqh3d - 2008-06-25

based on albums where the artist is the "albumartist" or just an "artist"? compilations & soundtracks could make that ugly if its all albums.

- jmarshall - 2008-06-25

Based purely on file structure I believe, and I think it's only if you Set Artist from the context menu? I don't think it does it on scan, unless spiff added that when he redid the allmusic stuff for scantime.

- SandmanCL - 2008-06-28

I just created a script that copies /music/artist/Album1/Folder.jpg to /music/artist, deleted the music library and scanned from scratch. Artist thumbs did not get scanned automatically. So manually selected 'Set artist thumb' and chose 'Local copy' for each artist. 177 artists later and my music library now looks pretty nice in Artist view Smile

It would be great if artist/Folder.jpg got scanned automatically though...

- jmarshall - 2008-06-29

The problem is it's difficult to decide whether the filesystem is actually artist/album/song or not. I'll have a quick look this afternoon to determine the exact difficulties and post here in case you or someone else may want to take a look into it.

- jmarshall - 2008-06-29

Right, the scanning code currently works like this:

For each folder:

1. Read the folder.
2. Grab the songs in the db that are from this folder, and remove them from the db.
3. Check for various artists + album folder art etc.
4. Add each song to the db.
5. Optionally scan each artist and album *per song*.
6. For each subfolder, repeat from 1.

The problem here is we never are really in the "root" artist folder in a position to scan info about the artist.

One possible idea is to take the optional reading of artist + album info out and instead just maintain a list of artists and albums to scan.

At the end of all song scanning, we then run through and scan artist + album information - the advantage here is we know the "base path" for a particular artist, so can match nfo files and thumbs. I'm a little worried about assuming folder.jpg in an artist's basepath is the artist thumb though - perhaps artist.nfo may be a better bet.

Cheers,
Jonathan

- Mental Block - 2008-06-29

Would it be possible to create the artist art from the album art and stacking it in a spiral like in WMP? I like this view as it shows you at the artist level how many and which albums you have for that artist. Also looks kinda cool Smile

If you have never seen how WMP does this then I can do a screen shot and up load.