Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] Stream any "DirectSound output" to XBMC from a PC? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: [WINDOWS] Stream any "DirectSound output" to XBMC from a PC? (/showthread.php?tid=3459)

Pages: 1 2 3

[WINDOWS] Stream any "DirectSound output" to XBMC from a PC? - jubcoo - 2004-05-10

i use something called real rhapsody, which basically gets me access to 500,000 songs through a proprietary streaming app. i want to know if i can get my computer to stream exactly whats coming out of my sound card (through directsound) to my media center?

- Gamester17 - 2004-05-10

no, not unless you program/code an streaming application for it. movint this thread to the feature suggestions forum for discussion.

- jubcoo - 2004-05-11

i found a rather crude, but effective way to implement the function, though in a somewhat less resource-efficient way.

instead of streaming directly the output from rhapsody, i used a ogg-vorbis recording program which recorded a file on my shared folder, which i then played through xbmc while still recording; on the fly if you will.

anyway, i thought i would explain exactly how i got this to work. (56k people - some screenshots)

ok. i use rhapsody, which allows me to listen to a huge number of songs, though, unlike mp3s, i can only listen and stream them through their app, so sharing files was out of the question.

i experimented with a number of line-in/directsound recording apps until i came across a free one i liked. it's called harddiskogg, and as you can tell from the name, it records in ogg vorbis.

you can find the program, which is freeware, at fridgesoft.de

so here, in screenshot form, are the steps i took to getting this thing to work. hope it helps other people out there.

this is rhapsody, which i had playing while doing the recording.

harddiskogg allowed me to create a .ogg file, which i shared on my music folder.

the next step after creating the file was recording.

while it was recording, it could select the file in xbmc and play it, so the ogg file acts as a temporary file. once you are finished playing, you could choose to stop recording. the next time you record, use the same filename, and it will prompt you to overwrite. select yes. ogg vorbis is very efficient, so space shouldn't be much of an issue.

- gvallen - 2004-09-02

sorry if this is a stupid or trivial question but i am fairly new to all this!  all i want to do is to be able to send the output from winamp to xbmc so i can listen to my audio files thru my stereo.  i want to use winamp and use the pc for searching so all i need the xbox to do is sit there and accept the stream.  i thought that i could use the jetcast plugin in winamp, set up an .strm file on the xbox and that would be it.  unfortunately it doesn't work.  either my theory is wrong or i am just not doing it properly!

can anyone advise me how to achieve my goal??  i want to use winamp on the pc (if possible) because i like it's searching in media library.  i have tens of thousands of files so i think it would be too tedious to do it the other way round (ie control it from xbmc rather than the pc).

hope that all makes sense and someone can help!

thanks
glenn

- pike - 2004-09-02

it's not the scope of these forums to help you setup a shoutcast or icecast stream.

but goto the correct place, winamp forums? or use google (is your friend) to setup either of those 2 *casts. when it working, you simply make a .strm file (that part we can help you with) and open it with xbmc.

- Kubik - 2004-10-12

hi,
i don't know if this has been suggested before. what are your thoughts on having a pc side app that intercepts the output audio and diverts or compresses the audio into some xbmc stream format. this way codecs such as real audio radio stations etc could be played back on the xbox. basically anything could be played back that isn't supported. video could be done also of course but i imagine a bit more complicated and cpu intensive. its not as user friendly as having xbmc do it itself but it does offer a temporary solution.

cheers,
kubik

- Gamester17 - 2004-10-12

directsound output => network stream => xbmc has been requested before so merging your post into that existing thread.

note that a such function can't be implemented on the xbmc (client) side but must be implement on the pc (server) side;
simplest would probebly be to code it into a xbmsp xstream server (like "ccxgui" or "mfxstream") or probebely better create a new xbmsp xstream server that is a directsound output plugin (so that exampel winamp and wmp can use it)

- asclepius - 2004-10-26

cant' think of any better way to describe it in the title... anyway...

is it possible to have the xbmc pickup whatever sound would normally come through your pc speakers, and play it on your stereo speakers.

i used to live in an appartment where i had my pc next to the tv. my amp has usb inputs, and winxp would recognize the stereo amp as "usb speakers". then i could just go into winxp audio pref's and choose my soundcard, or the usb speakers. that way i could use my any software i like to 'stream' audio to my entertainment system.

now, in my new appartment, the computer and stereo are 75 feet apart... too long for a usb. so my xbmc has become a way to get digital audio from the pc to the stereo. i'd like to continue to use the pc for assembling and playing lists of songs, but just have the sound come out my stereo speakers. i'd like it digital, and do not want to run 75 feet of analog cable.

i saw some post talking about setting up the xbmc to imitate a airstream express. this is pretty much what i want the xbmc to do with all audio from the pc.

possible? worth the effort?

thanks for consideration
asclepius

- Stalis - 2004-12-09

it would be awesome with a plugin for winamp or wmp and just stream "what you here" to xbmc. a much cheaper and better alternative to apple's airport.
i hope this is something you (developers) aswell think is a nice feature and implement it in a (hopefully) near future.

either way xbmc is a wonderful program and i thank you all for your hard work.  :bowdown:

- jsd - 2004-12-13

if you just want to hear winamp output you can setup a shoutcast server on your windows box easily enough.

then you'd just connect to your windows box via http (put the url in a .strm file and play it from xbmc)

- pike - 2004-12-13

yeah, but if you *imagine* you're gonna get synced audio on both pc and xbox, dream on :p

- Stalis - 2004-12-13

pike, if your answer were meant for me then read, if not ignore Smile
i have no need to play something syncronised on both xbox and pc.
a plugin could work like: sound output to xbmc or pc.
then if there is a little delay it will be most likely less then with a shoutcast server.

jsd: setup a shoutcast server is not user-friendly (or is it).
i have no experience in shout/ice -cast servers but i guess there will be some delay maybe a few seconds?

maybe i have no idea what i'm writing about but i still want that feature Smile

wish i could help but the only code i understand is html and php a little bit  Sad

- pike - 2004-12-13

this is not something worthwhile for any dev to spend time on for 3 reasons which i will now list here:

1. audio will never be synced, it's impossible, and when you think about it, thats a pretty big flaw

2. shoutcast/icecast already exists and does what you want already, use mp3 @ 320kbps

3. this would require coding plugins for other apps besides xbmc

- Stalis - 2004-12-14

must buy an apple airport express then Confused

- manekineko - 2005-01-07

is there any way to make an audio plugin for winamp so that all audio could be output over the network to xbmc which would play it over your home theater?

apple has a similar concept with their airtunes on the airport express device, where audio from itunes can be output over speakers connected to your airport express. this would be essentially the same thing, only using the xbox/xbmc as the airport express and an audio plugin for winamp instead of itunes.

the benefit of this is that it'd be an easy way to digitally connect your computer to your home theater. additionally, if you have a laptop, you could stream music wirelessly to your home theater which would be pretty awesome.