Kodi Community Forum
MediaStream, coming soon... - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Skin Archive (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=179)
+----- Forum: MediaStream (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=69)
+----- Thread: MediaStream, coming soon... (/showthread.php?tid=34661)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

- blittan - 2008-08-03

please guys, chill down or I will lock the thread, keep it to topic an no bad language or assaults on people.

- chrisdaniels - 2008-08-03

Sorry guys, but the repeat and inane questions get on my nerves.. couldnt help it.. sorry
my bad.

On with the thread and with the new skin!

- grrowl - 2008-08-03

Livin Wrote:People still have non-HD sets? Eek

With the price of HD sets being so low I'm a bit surprised. My Dad has an old SD RPTV but he's nearly blind anyway.

HDTV is just getting around to taking off here in Australia, and most people don't have HD sets yet... also i'm a poor student who can't afford shiny new TVs. Sad

- NOOK - 2008-08-03

Exactly the same here (Germany).

36 % of all TVs in North America are at least HD-ready (720p)
20 % of those in Western Europe

In 2012, 45% of all TVs worldwide will be HD-ready (9% in 2007).

So, it's still a long way to go ...

source: Goldmedia Research

- aart - 2008-08-03

and how is the percentage on 4:3 and 16:9 tv's? I mean I think most of us have a 16:9 in our homes right?

- ultrabrutal - 2008-08-03

Support 4:3? Why not support black'n'white tv's too? Wink

- Livin - 2008-08-03

ultrabrutal Wrote:Support 4:3? Why not support black'n'white tv's too? Wink

Mobile Phone support! There are more mobile phones then 4:3 TVs... Rofl

Doesn't XBMC autoscale so 16x9 screens work on 4:3 TVs... it may look a bit different but it should work. Just as when PM3 was 4:3 only and worked fine on 16:9 screens.

- jeepcook - 2008-08-03

I'm not OK with you .. in France we have just a little quantity of HD channels .. so to receive them we must pay a lot of money ..

So just few peoples receive hd channels ......

And a lot of people have 4:3 TV .... just look around you and you will see that ..

- Jeroen - 2008-08-03

jeepcook Wrote:I'm not OK with you .. in France we have just a little quantity of HD channels .. so to receive them we must pay a lot of money ..

So just few peoples receive hd channels ......

And a lot of people have 4:3 TV .... just look around you and you will see that ..

Same over here, HD is really in it's infancy her too content-wise. Just recently a fair amount of channels finally switched to 16:9 broadcasting Shocked After, what, 20 years since widescreen was introduced? Laugh
The european football championship was broadcasted in HD though, resulting in a lot of HD screens being bought. I just recently got myself an HD screen, which I would have done much sooner if more content was available in HD. The people are waiting for more HD content, the networks are waiting for more people getting HD screens first RolleyesRofl
With which I btw don't want to imply skins should be restricted by SD compatibility.

- djh_ - 2008-08-03

It's completely unrealistic and regressive to expect a modern UI to shackle itself to backwards compatibility. I don't expect Blu-ray discs to run on my Dreamcast, just as I don't expect Crysis to run to my calculator. XBMC is not Xbox Media Center anymore, nor are SD or 4:3 considered current-generation tech. Anyone unfortunate enough to be lumped with those should be grateful for every ounce of support they receive from XBMC and its artists, but expect nothing. Furthermore, I pity any skin that mistakedly tries to satisfy both crowds, however noble that might be.

- ultrabrutal - 2008-08-03

So the target for XBMC now is mobile phones? Ok just use PM3 in 4:3 or have some black borders. Wink

When I think of all the people I know. I can actually only find my own folks as the only ones with a 4:3 TV. My guess would be that it's less than 5% who still have 4:3 TV's when not regarding the older generation (who will never use XBMC anyways) - but even my grandmother and my wife's have 16:9 TV. Ofcourse this differs from country to country.

Oh yes, and what djh said Wink

- MikeBeecham - 2008-08-03

Duncan, whilst I understand your sentiments I also have to disagree with you in some respects. Obviously, I cant argue with you about Aeon, but for MediaStream it's about trying to encompass and provide for as much of the community as we can. I dont want to exclude a portion of the community, just because they cannot afford a certain peice of hardware.

Just because they have less money than other people, does that mean that they should not expect to use something that they COULD use if people provided support for them? No, I dont think so. I think your argument about blu-ray is flawed, only because it's a different animal completely. Blue-ray was NEVER designed for the dreamcast, whereas XBMC WAS designed for 4x3. To not consider it's foundational roots is to deny the very platform that it originated from in my opinion. In using your argument, should we say that because there are now more widescreen televisions that square ones, TV Companies should never broadcast content in 4x3? No, not at all.

It that warrants someone's pity for wanting to serve the wider audience, then so be it. However, Razorfish set out to provide for the community, not a single part of it.

- djh_ - 2008-08-03

I'm not denying the origins of XBMC or your right to cater to the bottom end of its technical hierarchy. I'm disputing the assumption that artists on the forefront of UI development should cater for that entire spectrum simply because it exists.

I'll admit, though, that my rant was somewhat out of context. It was my assumption that someone had kicked off about SD support when, in fact, they were just happy about it. More the fool me.

- Geeba - 2008-08-03

Hear Hear Mike!

- NOOK - 2008-08-03

djh_ Wrote:It's completely unrealistic and regressive to expect a modern UI to shackle itself to backwards compatibility. I don't expect Blu-ray discs to run on my Dreamcast, just as I don't expect Crysis to run to my calculator. XBMC is not Xbox Media Center anymore, nor are SD or 4:3 considered current-generation tech. Anyone unfortunate enough to be lumped with those should be grateful for every ounce of support they receive from XBMC and its artists, but expect nothing. Furthermore, I pity any skin that mistakedly tries to satisfy both crowds, however noble that might be.

I don't think anyone expected this to be 4:3 or SD ... my reply to this for example was purely some statistical information as a reply to the question if anyone still uses non-HD sets.

Now, please excuse the offtopic.