Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] Launcher plugin for XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] Launcher plugin for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=34834)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

- taxigps - 2009-10-13

mkerner129 Wrote:Thanks for any help. I keep getting this error whenever I try to use Launcher in an SVN build. "Windows cannot find 'C:\Program '. Make sure you typed the name correctly , and then try again." It works fine in the official release but not in any SVN build I have tries. I've tried many builds but whenever I try to launch a program I've added I get this error.
I am running Windows 7, 64bit Professional RTM from MSDN. I have my installation in C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC and the user profile contains the rest-C:\%userdata%\AppData\Roaming\XBMC.
Thanks all.

This problem fixed at r23678

- ijourneaux - 2009-10-28

TaxiGPS

I tried making the edits you recommended. I was able to find the strings to change but when I execue Launcher with the changes, it doesn't start up the application I have configured. The only error in the log file is a -1 when trying to execute the script.

I examined the code I edited and couldn't see anything significantly different.

Take Care

- taxigps - 2009-10-28

ijourneaux Wrote:TaxiGPS

I tried making the edits you recommended. I was able to find the strings to change but when I execue Launcher with the changes, it doesn't start up the application I have configured. The only error in the log file is a -1 when trying to execute the script.

I examined the code I edited and couldn't see anything significantly different.

Take Care

I'm sorry. I have made a mistake. just update to the new svn. modify is not needed.

- ijourneaux - 2009-10-31

Not a problem. Apprecaite the effort!

- Ravenscar - 2009-11-28

Problem solved!

Please write a proper install tutorial for the correct location of the plugin folder...

- leo2 - 2009-11-29

after you extract Launcher.zip into your program plugins directory (c:\users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\plugins\Programs) you should see "Program Plugins" in "Programs" section in XBMC.

- Ravenscar - 2009-11-30

Thanks Leo, it works great now, excellent plugin, I was really missing this function in XBMC. All games launch very smooth now!
I have added a lot of games and it looks and works fantastic. I shall post a few screenshots later... Laugh

While working with Launcher I found some confusing things, that are probably mentioned before, and maybe Launcher is too early in development, but I will mention them here anyway. Rolleyes

1. Why can't I install it in my installed XBMC folder on a portable HDD? Sad
I've got a 2TB external HDD with games and movies that I take to friends sometimes.

2. I'm missing some tags in the xml file for the future of Launcher, like:

<app> would be better than <application> much shorter

<genre> puzzle / rpg / shooter </genre> (enables sorting in the future)

<trailer> online or offline link to Flash video files .flv </trailer>

<box> path to image file (I use folder.jpg) </box>

Instead of <thumb> I rather see screenshots: (max 5 shots)
<screen1><screen2><screen3><screen4><screen5>

It's quite flexible with 5 shots, like a title, select screen or some game play shots. Skinners could animate/rotate/slide the screenshots, show the box in front, use box as thumb, show trailer somewhere. You get the idea...

3. And yet again, I'm not very happy with the location of launchers.xml, separate files like games.xml, apps.xml and roms.xml would be very helpful. My launchers.xml is over 3000 lines now and I have not even started with roms. I even removed all redundant tags to save lines...

That makes sense right?

4. Will the Launcher be a core function of XBMC in the future?

5. And it would be awesome, if Flash video trailers could be added in the future with the <trailer> tag.

Anyway the plugin works great so far, and I hope my suggestions make any sense and are not too much to ask.

I'm adding the rest of my games to xbmc now Nod

- leo2 - 2009-11-30

Hi Ravenscar,
You have many great ideas, but unfortunately Launcher development has been stopped due my lack of free time.

There is an xbmc branch called xbmc-gameslibrary that has native programs launching support.
The branch won't merge with XBMC until the library support will be fully implemented (like in Movies)
Right now, there is no active development in this branch.

so it seems that you'll have to continue using Launcher plugin as is.

sorry,
leo

- Ravenscar - 2009-11-30

Really? That's too bad, I just finished adding all my games to the xml file and everything looks and launches great. Even MAME launches seamlessly, Launcher supports emulators very well too.

However I got a memory leak in xbmc when I launched Braid. Oo

Is there a topic about the xbmc-gameslibrary? I'm all ears now Nod

Anyway I love my media center how it is now, because of your great Launcher plugin, so thank you for everything you've done. Big Grin

- leo2 - 2009-11-30

you welcome,

here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=40715&goto=newpost

- Ravenscar - 2009-12-01

interesting, it will be part of xbmc in the future then. Launcher works like a charm at the moment, so I will be patient.

- ijourneaux - 2009-12-02

Has anyone noticed an issue with Launcher with the latest Camelot Beta (and the alpha build before that)?

Prior to Camelot, I was successfully using Launcher to launch BeyondTV. Worked flawlessly.

With Camelot, The first time I spawn BeyondTV, things seem to work as expected. When I exit BeyondTV, it takes much longer to return the the XBMC screen. The second time I spawn BeyondTV, things seem to work as expected but when I return to XBMC I come back to the XBMC Favorites page and my system is dead in the water. It appears that the computer is still running in the background but I can't get XBMC to activate or release the desktop. The only solution is to reboot the computer.

- Ravenscar - 2009-12-02

I had the same problem with some games. My guess it's a memory leak, I checked xbmc activity in task manager and it was using 80% cpu and 1,5gb of ram, far more than usual.

You can kill xbmc in the task manager instead of rebooting. Although the first time I pressed ctrl+alt+del vista gave a security error...

- ijourneaux - 2009-12-03

Unfortuantely I can't get to the task manager as XBMC won't give up the screen. It is obvious that ctrl-alt-delete is doing something as the computer reacts to it but I never get to see the task manager so I can actual kill off xbmc

- Ravenscar - 2009-12-03

did you try alt+F4 and alt+tab too?