Kodi Community Forum
Apple's official iPhone Remote App with XBMC? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Apple's official iPhone Remote App with XBMC? (/showthread.php?tid=35064)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

- deepblue - 2009-03-22

Rand - one other item that I noticed...are you guys aware that when you install a new release, it erases all of the previous settings? (i.e. you've got to 're-add' the hosts, etc.).

Thanks.

can someone help me connect to xbmc with this app? - jarod71 - 2009-03-22

I need help guys and gals,
based onthe comments here, I purchased the app. I cannot connect to xbmc for the life of me.

I verified the settings work through firefox. I am able to connect using the webserver and control the xbox through firefox fine. however, I configure the app with the same ip address and password and it will not connect. it never asks for a username like firefox does. any idea? it just gives "error connecting to xbox: error

anyone run into this issue? my xbox is on a wireless connection but I am able to ftp to it, control it through websever on a desktop etc. all the web functions on the xbox work(rss, weather, etc). not sure what the issue is.

I am using the svn compiled on 03-15-09, so fairly recent.
any ideas?

- Rand Al Thor - 2009-03-22

jarod,

The username shouldn't matter. As long as you have the password entered correctly you should be fine. I would guess that maybe you are using the wrong port in the remote config. Without knowing more about your setup that is the best I can tell you for now. Make sure you have wifi enabled too. The current version does not work with 3g.

@deepblue
I would imagine this was done by design. There have been lots of changes in recent revisions and just like with xbmc the best way to avoid conflicts from settings left over from previous versions is to start fresh.

- jarod71 - 2009-03-22

Rand Al Thor Wrote:jarod,

The username shouldn't matter. As long as you have the password entered correctly you should be fine. I would guess that maybe you are using the wrong port in the remote config. Without knowing more about your setup that is the best I can tell you for now. Make sure you have wifi enabled too. The current version does not work with 3g.

@deepblue
I would imagine this was done by design. There have been lots of changes in recent revisions and just like with xbmc the best way to avoid conflicts from settings left over from previous versions is to start fresh.

It must be the latest svn, I just tried today's daily build and got the same issue. I tried a version of xbmc from like a year ago and it connects and allows me to browse but i cannot start a video.

Rand Al Thor, what version of xbmc are you using?

- Rand Al Thor - 2009-03-22

I compile daily. I am running on linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Vista, so it might be an XBOX only thing. Are you running the newest version of XBMC remote? There was an update released just a couple days ago. If you had a previous version of the remote installed, I would suggest removing it from your iphone completely and deleting completely from Itunes. Then try reinstalling from there. Sometimes things from previous versions have a nasty habit of lingering around after you update. This can cause some strange behavior. That is why I always suggest starting with a clean slate.

You also never answered my question about the port. IIRC, the remote defaults to port 8080. XBMC might be running on port 80. Since you are running it on the xbox you might want to try setting a password. I usually leave mine blank but on the xbox you might need to put something in there. Hopefully that helps. Cheers.

- jarod71 - 2009-03-23

Rand Al Thor Wrote:I compile daily. I am running on linux, Mac OS X, and Windows Vista, so it might be an XBOX only thing. Are you running the newest version of XBMC remote? There was an update released just a couple days ago. If you had a previous version of the remote installed, I would suggest removing it from your iphone completely and deleting completely from Itunes. Then try reinstalling from there. Sometimes things from previous versions have a nasty habit of lingering around after you update. This can cause some strange behavior. That is why I always suggest starting with a clean slate.

You also never answered my question about the port. IIRC, the remote defaults to port 8080. XBMC might be running on port 80. Since you are running it on the xbox you might want to try setting a password. I usually leave mine blank but on the xbox you might need to put something in there. Hopefully that helps. Cheers.

Sorry, I missed your inquiry about the port. It must be a xbox thing, as I can connect with a much older version of xbmc, but the last two dailys do not work. I am using port 80 and can connect and control he xbox over the internet with a web browser. I am using a password as the latest xbmc svn seems like it will not let u run websever without a password.

It must be specific to the xbox somehow. I will open a ticket with the application owner. would like it to work with the latest xbmc though...

- jarod71 - 2009-03-23

jarod71 Wrote:Sorry, I missed your inquiry about the port. It must be a xbox thing, as I can connect with a much older version of xbmc, but the last two dailys do not work. I am using port 80 and can connect and control he xbox over the internet with a web browser. I am using a password as the latest xbmc svn seems like it will not let u run websever without a password.

It must be specific to the xbox somehow. I will open a ticket with the application owner. would like it to work with the latest xbmc though...

Rand Al Thor,
Thanks for all your help. I have stepped back to the T3CH 01.25.09 build for now. The remote works and works wonderfully with it. I got the daily build from a website. The interface for configuring the webserver looks a little different. It has a username as well as password. Not sure why the latest svn compiled does not work on xbox. maybe the build from the nightly builds is missing something? or a change has been made as the configuration is slightly different. Hopefully the developer will look into it. I can deal with the 01.25.09 build for now.

if anyone has any ideas why the latest form svn will not work, let me know..

- x5nder - 2009-04-05

I can't get the application to work either. It worked fine on an old build, but all the recent (Windows-)builds don't work together with the app! This is a serious bug Confused

Strangely, the web interface works fine when accessed from a computer.

- Rand Al Thor - 2009-04-05

x5nder Wrote:I can't get the application to work either. It worked fine on an old build, but all the recent (Windows-)builds don't work together with the app! This is a serious bug Confused

Strangely, the web interface works fine when accessed from a computer.

x5nder,

I compile daily on Windows and Linux. I can confirm that the Remote works with new revisions. If you would like help you need to be much more specific in your help request. Simply posting "I can't get the application to work" is very informative. Please visit the collect3 forums and fill out a proper help request with specifics.

Cheers,
Rand

- byronl - 2009-04-07

I had a play with this app last night and got it working pretty much straight away. The video library bit worked well, however I don't use a music library as I've never managed to get my .m3u playlists to work in library mode (tried path substitution etc etc etc).

I browsed to music sources and when I select a source the remote and xbox do the usual trick of taking up to 15-20 seconds or so to open the source since XBMC walks the playlists it finds. The playlists need to be in the source so I can select and play them.

This seemed to cause a timeout where the remote would complain it looses connection after ~10seconds and the "working" hourglass on XBMC would pause. The remote would try again and we'd be in the same horrible deadlock forever.

Is there a way to increase the timeout for the remote so it will wait longer for the xbox to respond? I will try on my XBMC on windows which only takes 1second to do the walk to verify it's a timeout problem and not something else.

Other than that, it's very slick, but unusable for me at the moment.

Thanks

Byron

- Rand Al Thor - 2009-04-07

Unfortunately, there is no way to currently increase the amount of time. I doubt that is actually the underlying issue though. I do want to mention that the XBMC Remote and the XBMC Streamer are written specifically for use with the XBMC Library. Browsing by folders is possible but it is not the "official" way of accessing your media.
Cheers,
Rand

- byronl - 2009-04-09

Thanks. I've worked out how to import my playlists into library mode, so I'll give it a whirl tonight.

B

- Rand Al Thor - 2009-04-09

byronl Wrote:Thanks. I've worked out how to import my playlists into library mode, so I'll give it a whirl tonight.

B

Great! I am interested in hearing how it goes. I might make it a sticky on the forums for others who are having similar issues. Keep us posted.

- bluey - 2009-04-12

Do you still add features? A Wake-On-Line feature would be a great addition to your program.

- Rand Al Thor - 2009-04-12

Hey bluey,

We are always taking feature requests. However, the best way to make sure they don't get "lost in the mix" would be to post your feature request on the collect3 forums.

Rand