Kodi Community Forum
Apple's official iPhone Remote App with XBMC? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Apple's official iPhone Remote App with XBMC? (/showthread.php?tid=35064)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

- TrocaNiklas - 2008-09-18

i have another problem iam also running windows atlantis beta 1 with media stream skin. i can connect play music and videos. My problem is when a movie or tv series is RARed it wont play. and sens 99% of my videos are rared this is a big problem for me. nothing is happening on the screen of xbmc and the iphone remote software gives me a blackbox with paus and play.

- keeganl - 2008-09-19

I tried the ip of the computer with xbmc on it from another pc on the network and it returned nothing at all. It gave the canot display website page. That's a bit strange since I can access the router config through the laptop, but not the pc with xbmc. Maybe it has to do with my router settings. I will check up all of those settings and also the windows firewall. Thanks for your help. We'll see how it turns out.

- d4rk - 2008-09-19

TrocaNiklas Wrote:i have another problem iam also running windows atlantis beta 1 with media stream skin. i can connect play music and videos. My problem is when a movie or tv series is RARed it wont play. and sens 99% of my videos are rared this is a big problem for me. nothing is happening on the screen of xbmc and the iphone remote software gives me a blackbox with paus and play.

RARed movie access is a known issue, it might be addressed in the next XBMC release or the next XBMC Remote release. I'm not sure about the technicalities behind the issue but I know that there is one.

- keeganl - 2008-09-19

just and update to my previous post. I have absolutely no idea what it could be now. I have web server enabled in xbmc. Everything as far as the setup details is in line and all correct. Double, triple, and quadruple checked them. My firewall has xbmc set as an exception and my router is setup to allow the iphone access through the router. At this point i am stumped. Anyone have advice or a simliar situation(with a solution). Thanks

- d4rk - 2008-09-19

keeganl Wrote:just and update to my previous post. I have absolutely no idea what it could be now. I have web server enabled in xbmc. Everything as far as the setup details is in line and all correct. Double, triple, and quadruple checked them. My firewall has xbmc set as an exception and my router is setup to allow the iphone access through the router. At this point i am stumped. Anyone have advice or a simliar situation(with a solution). Thanks

A good troubleshooting method might be to completely disable your firewalls and start enabling then one by one and see at which step, packets start getting dropped.

- Gamester17 - 2008-09-19

keeganl Wrote:just and update to my previous post. I have absolutely no idea what it could be now. I have web server enabled in xbmc. Everything as far as the setup details is in line and all correct. Double, triple, and quadruple checked them. My firewall has xbmc set as an exception and my router is setup to allow the iphone access through the router. At this point i am stumped. Anyone have advice or a simliar situation(with a solution). Thanks
Do you have any other third-party software like; anti-virus, firewall, spybot, etc?

There are many software applications these days that come with firewalls Confused

All I can definitely say is that XBMC is not the problem as http://localhost/ works.

- Eson - 2008-09-21

Is there anyway to launch XBMC from the remote app?

- Gamester17 - 2008-09-21

Eson Wrote:Is there anyway to launch XBMC from the remote app?
No, it accesses XBMC though its built-in web server so XBMC has to be running for the web server to be running. To archive what you want a 'helper' service/daemon would have to be created and installed by the user to run in the background and listen (on for example a UDP port) for a new command to launch XBMC. I other words, that would be a feature request.

- TrocaNiklas - 2008-09-22

d4rk Wrote:RARed movie access is a known issue, it might be addressed in the next XBMC release or the next XBMC Remote release. I'm not sure about the technicalities behind the issue but I know that there is one.

Thanks for the reply i will just wait for a update for the remote app on appstore Smile

- narcan - 2008-09-22

d4rk Wrote:RARed movie access is a known issue, it might be addressed in the next XBMC release or the next XBMC Remote release. I'm not sure about the technicalities behind the issue but I know that there is one.

For the moment I've gone ahead and implemented a work around.

It can now play rar files, but the workaround will cause all files in the rar to be queued. This also means that it won't show the contents of the rar when selected , rather just start playing it immediately.

I think for the majority of the cases this wouldn't be a huge problem, in the case of movies anyway. For music that is say an album in a rar this might be a little bit of a pain though it just means it will queue the whole album.

Anyway, when the time comes that the issue is addressed in XBMC I can release an update.

On a side note, sorry I've been a bit quiet of late in answering questions /issues. I've had the flu for the last week so been resting up in bed.. over it all now so am good to continue cracking on the next release.

- narcan - 2008-09-22

Eson Wrote:Is there anyway to launch XBMC from the remote app?

As Gamster17 points out it's a bit of a chicken and egg problem as the XBMC Remote relies on XBMC being loaded to be able to execute commands.

Though I will be implementing hooks in the remote to allow integration with other iphone apps. So maybe if some general purpose program executor was developed for the iphone then potentially it could be setup to tell the remote machine to launch XBMC and then launch the XBMC Remote. Then whether of not something like this would be available for the platform(s) your running though is another issue again..

- narcan - 2008-09-22

markiz Wrote:Why not show them directly when I click on TV Shows / Movies / Albums? Why this extra step? I dont get it.

Great idea. Except 1) the text "Video sources" and "Music sources" are too long. They overlap and go beyond the screen when dragging them onto the tab bar. 2) When I restart the application the default tab bar appears. I have to drag them over and over every time. Maby a bug?

Why not do a new option in Settings that lets the user choose between file view and library view. That's the way all skins do it. I really hope that this will change in the upcoming version.

The tab bar issue of not retaining the settings is a bug and will be addressed in the next release. So once this is fixed I'd think that this should be a non issue for you as you can set it up how you like.

The segregation of the library / sources has been a bit of a issue with people, as I guess it's not immediately apparent as to what it's looking at when your not familiar with the concept.

The main design was to drive everything from the library, in a similar way to how the itunes and apple remote functionality work. It gives more flexibility on how it can be broken out (for example TV Shows , Movies instead of just 'Video').

In most places it wouldn't make much sense / be complicated to try and combine the library data with the sources data.

For instance, if you clicked on 'Movies' what would you expect to see ? All items under video sources ? If not, how would one know what items are movies without having already scanned to the library ?

So whether it was combined by default or there was a preference I don't think it's logical to try and combine together.

I could only see this working if the interface was redesigned and the tabs were reduced to 'Videos' and 'Music' and then the lists would either show 'Movies', 'TV Shows' or the list of video sources depending on what the setting was in the preferences (library /sources). I think this setup ultimately makes for more clicks / navigation, which is why I didn't go with it.

Personally I use the libraries for all my media, except for plugins (say youtube, mythtv) which I then use video sources.

Hope that makes some sense... though I'm still open to suggestions.

Maybe one useful feature would be to acutally add custom video and music sources folders to the tab bar. So instead of 'TV Shows' accessing the library you could have it show the folder 'TV Shows' from your video sources.

- narcan - 2008-09-22

keeganl Wrote:I was curious if anyone else is having a problem connecting the iphone to XBMC. I am currently running the atlantis beta 1 with Mediastream, but i've tried it with all the skins thinking it might be a skin bug, but still got no connection. I have put the ip listed in xbmc in the iphone. There is no password and the port was left at 80. I still get the same message everytime that it failed to connect to xbmc. If anyone has had this problem and been able to fix it, I would appreciate some guidance. Thanks

Is this under Vista ? I know some users were having issues with using port 80 under Vista . This was fixed by changing the port to say 8080, suspect that it's probably all ports < 1024 that cause an issue.

Also take a look here http://remote.collect3.com.au/troubleshooting/ and see if it's any help.

- jkrellner - 2008-09-23

I am new to the XBMC Remote for the iPod/iPhone and first off, let me say... it ROCKS. It is easy to use, responsive and generally flawless. I love it because it enables me to play music, start Last.fm radio, or whatever, without even turning on my TV. Which, as I mentioned before, ROCKS! I look forward to future updates making it even better. I submitted a review to the App Store.

That said, the only thing I cannot figure out is what path to put in so that I can see my movie art... I tried E:\Apps\XBMC\UserData and got nothing. I also tried Q:\UserData. Is there a way I can figure out where this stuff is from within XBMC? Has anybody else experienced this problem? FYI, I am running XBMC Live Atlantis Beta 1.

Also, if I don't have TV shows, is there a way to delete that tab, or change it to link to Last.fm or something? Can this be done by editing the tabs, as mentioned in the earlier post? If so, I'll wait til the next version when the tab preferences will stick.

Great App! - Pr.Sinister - 2008-09-26

Thank you for making this great little app!

I have 2 problems that for the life of me, i cannot figure out how to do :

How do i queue individual items? For example, i go to my Video Sources and
go to my Downloads and in that folder, i have a bunch of sub-directories but
also a bunch of files not in folders. I want to queue up the following :

Burn.Notice.S02E09.HDTV.XviD-NoTV.[VTV].avi
Its.Always.Sunny.In.Philadelphia.S04E02.DSR.XviD-NoTV.avi
Righteous.Kill.R5.XViD-PUKKA (a folder)

How do i do that?

2nd Problem is how do i fast forward a video and not skip without going into
upside down mode and "More / Transport Command"?

Thanks!