Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] XBMC for Linux port to ARM architecture CPU and SoC chips? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: [LINUX] XBMC for Linux port to ARM architecture CPU and SoC chips? (/showthread.php?tid=35139)

- Soju - 2009-07-07

Hmm... the hardware is getting there quickly folks!

- McGeagh - 2009-07-24

Just a quick update for u all... its been a while, i know.

Im looking into OpenGL ES 2.0 in order to do the video rendering, because at the moment the software renderer isnt adequate enough. I have increased performance (of at least the GUI) by a considerable amount compared to the version shown in my youtube video, but still not good enough for general use. My main priority atm is the video rendering.

Hopefully i'll have something more substantial by next month.

- Soju - 2009-07-25

McGeagh Wrote:Just a quick update for u all... its been a while, i know.

Im looking into OpenGL ES 2.0 in order to do the video rendering, because at the moment the software renderer isnt adequate enough. I have increased performance (of at least the GUI) by a considerable amount compared to the version shown in my youtube video, but still not good enough for general use. My main priority atm is the video rendering.

Hopefully i'll have something more substantial by next month.

Nice. Thanks for the update. Hows the skinning engine performing if you are entertaining inquiries? Cool

BTW, do you need additional equipment? we can maybe raise some money and get it for you on here.

You probably know that the Tegra stuff will be out shortly, and probably by gen 2, end of next year, will it have the horsepower that TI is doing at the end of this year on non floating point capability. On the GPU end it should be substantially better than anything else, being essentially an underclocked second gen ION. I think they will provide a Linux SDK at some point. I think if the basic stuff is done, we should see incredible potential with that SoC, bang for buck.

- McGeagh - 2009-07-27

The gui isnt performing great, but is useable if u dont mind lag... no figures to give, sorry.

As for equipment, thanks for the offer, but I dont think I need anything (atleast not now).
The only thing i need is my knowledge of GL (ES) to be better lol

The tegra is definately an interesting thing and will look into it eventually... cant say much more though, sorry.

- topfs2 - 2009-07-27

Although there might be more developers interested in helping with the porting that doesn't have hardware, so raising money for the foundation is always appreciated.

I know myself to be abit interested in helping out.

Cheers,
Tobias.

- Starstream - 2009-07-27

That's pretty cool work McGeagh, I'm not sure if your interested or if this is off topic but I saw this on blog, a Japanese company is building a media player similar to XBMC on top of Android running on a BeagleBoard using an OpenGL ES GUI. Isn't Android open source maybe their code could be of help (forgive me if that was nonsense I'm no programmer).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dgVucXskxs (its about 1min in)

- McGeagh - 2009-07-28

Thanks for the offers, I only really need help with the GL|ES side of things, so If anyone has some mad skillz in that area, feel free to ping me an email or irc me etc... would be great.

As for the Android one... that does sound interesting... ive encountered Android on beagleboard before, but never came across this. Will look into it, thanks!

- erhnam - 2009-08-05

McGeagh Wrote:I kinda hacked it and hardcoded the resolution.
The result.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRQFOnblixI

May I ask what kind of Window Maker you're using? Just before you started XBMC. The board looks very impressive. Small!!

- McGeagh - 2009-08-05

By window maker, i assume you mean what API was used to manage the windows?
On the video you saw, as it was all done in software, SDL was used to create the window.
When it gets ported to OpenGL ES, it will use EGL instead.
Not sure how in depth an answer you were hoping...

- blither - 2009-08-21

What window manager is the system using? And are you using the standard distro that comes with the board?

- McGeagh - 2009-08-21

In that video, it was running Angstrom with Enlightenment window manager
I have also tested it with ubuntu for the beagle.

- blither - 2009-08-21

Was there any speed difference with the change in distro/window manager? I mean I'm not sure if that would make much of a difference just curious. I'm thinking of getting one as well see what I can do with it you know.

- McGeagh - 2009-08-23

No noticeable speed differences.
As ive been focusing on GLES, its all about which distro I can easily get the SGX drivers working on. Ubuntu works fine with .06 driver, but (last time i tried) i couldnt get the later drivers working for it. Angstrom is the default choice and should work with the later drivers... but thats more of a pain to download and install packages compared to ubuntu... swings and roundabouts.
Currently Im using .06 drivers on ubuntu, but that may change.

- McGeagh - 2009-09-17

I apologise for how long this is taking me... longer than I hoped myself.

Im still working on getting it to work with OpenGL ES2.0... I want all its existing features to work (within reason) before i release anything back.
I hope to have something more to show by the end of October, so please be patient.

If your feeling particularly impatient, then the base-project is available for anyone in svn, which is xbmc ported to run on ARM using software rendering (i.e no OpenGL|ES).

Ill reiterate: The issue isnt ARM architecture, but converting from OpenGL to ES.

- waldo22 - 2009-09-17

McGeagh Wrote:I apologise for how long this is taking me...

You SHOULD be sorry. You're lucky we haven't asked for our money back already. Laugh

Seriously, though, I think your OpenGL ES port is really cool.

Thanks for all your work.

-Wes