Kodi Community Forum
Android "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Android "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI (/showthread.php?tid=357396)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - noggin - 2020-10-19

(2020-10-18, 20:08)looun Wrote:
(2020-10-16, 11:32)noggin Wrote:
(2020-10-16, 10:34)looun Wrote: hi, app "refresh rate" work?

I don't think the refresh rate changing apps like TVHZ work. I'll check in a moment.
app "refresh rate" use different API Display.Mode  (API Level 23/android 9), so i have understood.
TVHz is a system wide refresh rate changing short cut app - I don't know what API it uses - but it doesn't try to match content refresh rate.

If Refresh Rate is free I'll try to install it.

EDIT - OK installed it. Gave it the right permissions.  It only shows the system video setting as an option in whitelisting (so no 23/24/50 option when 60Hz - which is 59.94 it seems - is set in the system video settings menu). it seems to offer no manual refresh rate switching, and watching anything in Netflix it still runs at a fixed 59.94Hz output.  

Worse BBC iPlayer crashes - or doesn't accept any remote control input - when I run it with Display Rate installed and running too.  ITV Hub stuff (which is 25/50Hz) runs but outputs at a fixed 59.94Hz (my system setting)

Unless I don't know what I'm doing with this app - it doesn't seem to do anything useful on the GCC with GTV.

RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - foxbat121 - 2020-10-19

(2020-10-19, 11:31)noggin Wrote:
(2020-10-18, 20:08)looun Wrote:
(2020-10-16, 11:32)noggin Wrote: I don't think the refresh rate changing apps like TVHZ work. I'll check in a moment.
app "refresh rate" use different API Display.Mode  (API Level 23/android 9), so i have understood.
TVHz is a system wide refresh rate changing short cut app - I don't know what API it uses - but it doesn't try to match content refresh rate.

EDIT - OK installed it. Gave it the right permissions.  It only shows the system video setting as an option in whitelisting (so no 23/24/50 option when 60Hz - which is 59.94 it seems - is set in the system video settings menu). it seems to offer no manual refresh rate switching, and watching anything in Netflix it still runs at a fixed 59.94Hz output.  

Worse BBC iPlayer crashes - or doesn't accept any remote control input - when I run it with Display Rate installed and running too.  ITV Hub stuff (which is 25/50Hz) runs but outputs at a fixed 59.94Hz (my system setting)

Unless I don't know what I'm doing with this app - it doesn't seem to do anything useful on the GCC with GTV.

All these apps can't do automatic refresh rate switching even on platforms that it works. What they can do is let you switch to whatever refresh rate of your choice. Some allow you to assign a profile to each app so that it can switch to that refresh rate when that app opens.

RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - b4cksl4sh - 2020-10-20

No automatic refresh rate = no buy. Seems Google can't do anything right these days.

RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - noggin - 2020-10-20

(2020-10-19, 20:12)foxbat121 Wrote:
(2020-10-19, 11:31)noggin Wrote:
(2020-10-18, 20:08)looun Wrote: app "refresh rate" use different API Display.Mode  (API Level 23/android 9), so i have understood.

All these apps can't do automatic refresh rate switching even on platforms that it works. What they can do is let you switch to whatever refresh rate of your choice. Some allow you to assign a profile to each app so that it can switch to that refresh rate when that app opens.

Yes - though 'Refresh Rate' was designed for the Shield TV to attempt to do automatic-ish switching (you assign a hot key that when video is playing will trigger the app - which runs as an overlay - to sample the playing video and then switch the output refresh rate to the best option). This works very similarly to the built-in hot key solution nVidia have now implemented on the Shield TV.  

However the Google Chromecast with Google TV Android TV implementation seems not to properly implement the API that lets apps interrogate Android TV to discover which refresh rates and resolutions are supported by the connected display, and instead reports the system frame rate and resolution only?  So you can't even have a shortcut app, like TVHz, that lets you manually change the frame rate (more easily than burrowing into the Android System settings)

RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - noggin - 2020-10-20

(2020-10-20, 10:38)b4cksl4sh Wrote: No automatic refresh rate = no buy. Seems Google can't do anything right these days.

I'm not sure anyone offers fully automatic refresh rate on Android TV apps - though Kodi's implementation works on some Android platforms.  The nearest you get at the moment is the 'push a button when playing a video to set the right refresh rate' option on the Shield TV.

Some earlier Android builds (not sure about Android TV) on some platforms attempted it - but I think DRM licensing makes it tricky. (To detect the frame rate of 'playing video' you need the OS to be able to access the playing video in its un-decrypted form I think - which is a no-no for DRM enforcement, which wants it piped directly to output without passing through a process that lets the OS or apps intercept it)

The next-best solution is a solution that is app controlled - so the app knows, from metadata alongside the DRM-ed video, what the refresh rate of the video being played is, and then the app changes the refresh rate (from a list of supported refresh rates provided by the OS) to the best option.  This is how the Apple TV works (many tvOS apps - including Prime and Netflix support this), how the Amazon Fire TV devices work (Prime supports it but last time I checked Netflix didn't), and how Kodi works on some Android TV platforms like the Shield TV I believe.

RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - b4cksl4sh - 2020-10-20

(2020-10-20, 12:01)noggin Wrote: I'm not sure anyone offers fully automatic refresh rate on Android TV apps - though Kodi's implementation works on some Android platforms.  The nearest you get at the moment is the 'push a button when playing a video to set the right refresh rate' option on the Shield TV.

Some earlier Android builds (not sure about Android TV) on some platforms attempted it - but I think DRM licensing makes it tricky.

I will stick to the Raspberry for Kodi and Fire TV for everything else until someone gets it right or Google fixes it with an update. How they can even market something as a streaming/TV device without automatic refresh rate switching is beyond me.

RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - fritsch - 2020-10-20

From technical pov I agree :-) I think their "mass users" don't care ... as they don't care about Passthrough ... we are enthusiast, we don't reflect the average chromecast buyer if we like it or not :-)

RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - FXB78 - 2020-10-20

(2020-10-20, 16:44)fritsch Wrote: From technical pov I agree :-) I think their "mass users" don't care ... as they don't care about Passthrough ... we are enthusiast, we don't reflect the average chromecast buyer if we like it or not :-)
Absolutely, 99% of their users won't even know what a refresh rate is, nor care about audio pass-through. So for them it's probably great, whereas for us it's basically useless.

(2020-10-20, 17:06)FXB78 Wrote: Absolutely, 99% of their users won't even know what a refresh rate is, nor care about audio pass-through. So for them it's probably great, whereas for us it's basically useless.

Definitely useless since I couldn't stand watching a movie or whatever content without it being played back with it's native frame rate.

(2020-10-20, 12:10)b4cksl4sh Wrote:
(2020-10-20, 12:01)noggin Wrote: I'm not sure anyone offers fully automatic refresh rate on Android TV apps - though Kodi's implementation works on some Android platforms.  The nearest you get at the moment is the 'push a button when playing a video to set the right refresh rate' option on the Shield TV.

Some earlier Android builds (not sure about Android TV) on some platforms attempted it - but I think DRM licensing makes it tricky.

I will stick to the Raspberry for Kodi and Fire TV for everything else until someone gets it right or Google fixes it with an update. How they can even market something as a streaming/TV device without automatic refresh rate switching is beyond me.

Almost no commercial product offers automatic refresh rate switching for Netflix, Amazon Prime etc.  The only platform I know of that comes close (and it's not 'automatic' but feels like it in some apps) is the Apple TV 4/4K (and that's not perfect because of the 23.976 vs 24.000 issues). I don't know of any other platform that currently properly does Netflix with 23.976/24/25/29.97 and 59.94 (there is a small amount of high frame rate stuff if you look) switching properly.

RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - mcmurdyy - 2020-10-20

Sorry if this has been asked already, i am seeing some comments about automatic refresh rate switching etc.
I'm in a 50Hz region and set my Chromecast to 720p-50hz. In Kodi's display-settings i keep seeing 1920x1080p - 59,94Hz and my 50fps video's seem to stutter a bit...
Is this an "fault" in Google's TV implementation?

RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - noggin - 2020-10-21

(2020-10-20, 17:58)mcmurdyy Wrote: Sorry if this has been asked already, i am seeing some comments about automatic refresh rate switching etc.
I'm in a 50Hz region and set my Chromecast to 720p-50hz. In Kodi's display-settings i keep seeing 1920x1080p - 59,94Hz and my 50fps video's seem to stutter a bit...

What happens if you change the Android system settings (On the home screen you go to the top right logo of your initial letter that represents your google login and click and the settings option appears) to 1080p 50Hz?

RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - mcmurdyy - 2020-10-21

(2020-10-21, 09:42)noggin Wrote:
(2020-10-20, 17:58)mcmurdyy Wrote: Sorry if this has been asked already, i am seeing some comments about automatic refresh rate switching etc.

What happens if you change the Android system settings (On the home screen you go to the top right logo of your initial letter that represents your google login and click and the settings option appears) to 1080p 50Hz?

In Kodi it still says 1080p-59,94hz....

RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - noggin - 2020-10-21

(2020-10-21, 10:04)mcmurdyy Wrote:
(2020-10-21, 09:42)noggin Wrote:

Can confirm that Kodi says the CCGTV is set to (the only available resolution) of 1080p59.94Hz when the video output from the CCGTV is actually 1080p50Hz. (Checked with an HD Fury Vertex)

RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - mcmurdyy - 2020-10-21

(2020-10-21, 10:50)noggin Wrote:
(2020-10-21, 10:04)mcmurdyy Wrote:
(2020-10-21, 09:42)noggin Wrote: What happens if you change the Android system settings (On the home screen you go to the top right logo of your initial letter that represents your google login and click and the settings option appears) to 1080p 50Hz?

Can confirm that Kodi says the CCGTV is set to (the only available resolution) of 1080p59.94Hz when the video output from the CCGTV is actually 1080p50Hz. (Checked with an HD Fury Vertex)

Yes, but now i am curious if Kodi internal uses 50hz or 59.94hz, to me it looks like its using 59,84hz because my 50hz video is somewhat stuttering....