Kodi Community Forum
Android "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Android "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI (/showthread.php?tid=357396)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - Mittwoch - 2020-11-11

(2020-11-08, 10:28)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-11-08, 09:53)Mittwoch Wrote: Netflix shows the loading circle which stops at 24% ALWAYS at 24% and then.... nothing. Sometimes it works sometimes the Loading Circle of Death appears. I bought the Google Ethernet Adapter but that changed nothing.

Did you download the DRMInfo App to see if HDCP was working correctly ?
Because that sounds like the problem if the Netflix App is having issues.
ImageImage[/url]

RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - fredentoft - 2020-11-12

(2020-10-08, 20:05)Damien67 Wrote:
(2020-10-07, 19:34)droidkid Wrote:
(2020-10-07, 03:54)wrxtasy Wrote: The easiest way to Share files from a Windows / Linux / Mac / NAS file server setup to Kodi is using Zeroconf, see here to see how that is done
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=329883&pid=2971806#pid2971806

And if your file server supports it use NFS instead of SMB due to less network overheads and it consequently being faster.

Interesting I just built a file server with OpenMediaVault on my Raspberry Pi but I setup an SMB share maybe I'll give NFS a shot, In the past I've always used SMB shares so this is new to me.

No issue for me with SMB...
As with any new Kodi install, I drop my advancedsettings.xml, Mediasources.xml and sources.xml into the userdata folder, close/re-open Kodi, and that's it. Instantly connected to my SQL databases and everything plays without an issue. As a matter of fact, I couldn't use X-plore to connect my SMB shares to get to those files, so I used Kodi's file manager, added my SMB server's info, and could copy paste those files directly from the share to the userdata folder. Not sure why others are bashing Google not supporting this.
Also, as a FYI, my samba server is ran in a docker container (https://github.com/dperson/samba) in a Debian server.

As for my first thoughts on the CCWGTV, which I bought to stop using Visio's Smartcast platform on a P65-F1 (slow), to take advantage of my receiver's capabilities that can't go through HDMI 2.0 ARC (no ATMOS for example), and to not need a PC for Kodi alone:

- The name absolutely sucks. Googling anything gives tons of Chromecast results...have to filter "last week" to get relevant results. Google's marketing employee who signed off on this should be fired
- Device is pretty snappy!
- Apps available in the play store like any other Android device. Those that aren't can be sideloaded easily
- Kodi works very well, 1080p / 4k content without issue
- Main audio formats worked (DTS, DTS-MA, DD), but Dolby HD and AAC come as PCM stereo (tried both 18.8 and 19.0Alpha2)
- No problem with Netflix / Amazon Prime / Youtube
- I always had ambilights connected via serial (ESP8266 w/ WLED) to PC...I successfully got is working installing Hyperion in my server and installing Hyperion Android Grabber. Works OK with 1080p content, 4K is no go. One frame per 2 seconds...I guess too CPU demanding

Overall I am very pleased so far.
I do also have a ShieldTV (2015) in my living room, for a quarter the price Google got us a nice little device!

Are you using shared db?
I am trying this, but when starting the app after copying advancedsettings.xml it just crashes before even trying to display the splash screen.

Shared mysql database
most xml files via path substitution.

RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - Jönke - 2020-11-13

Ok now I have tested a little more
Kodi always reports 1080/60 regardless of which resolution you choose in GTV, but Kodi still seems to play the movie in the correct fps if you manually select the correct one in GTV before.
If you choose, for example, 1080p 50, my TV says the same resolution
1080p 24 seems to be 23,976) 24p movie jerks but 23,976 flows as it should what I can see.

RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - LamaFache - 2020-11-16

(2020-11-13, 13:33)Jönke Wrote: Ok now I have tested a little more
Kodi always reports 1080/60 regardless of which resolution you choose in GTV, but Kodi still seems to play the movie in the correct fps if you manually select the correct one in GTV before.
If you choose, for example, 1080p 50, my TV says the same resolution
1080p 24 seems to be 23,976) 24p movie jerks but 23,976 flows as it should what I can see.

Hello,
It doesn't work for me.
I have to switch in the GTV settings the expected resolution + framerate to have a smooth display.
Experience was better on this part with FireTV stick where all resolutions were whitelisted and automatically choosen by Kodi when needed.
I hope Google will fix this soon Smile

RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - fredentoft - 2020-11-16

(2020-11-12, 00:07)fredentoft Wrote:
(2020-10-07, 19:34)droidkid Wrote: Interesting I just built a file server with OpenMediaVault on my Raspberry Pi but I setup an SMB share maybe I'll give NFS a shot, In the past I've always used SMB shares so this is new to me.

As with any new Kodi install, I drop my advancedsettings.xml, Mediasources.xml and sources.xml into the userdata folder, close/re-open Kodi, and that's it. Instantly connected to my SQL databases and everything plays without an issue. As a matter of fact, I couldn't use X-plore to connect my SMB shares to get to those files, so I used Kodi's file manager, added my SMB server's info, and could copy paste those files directly from the share to the userdata folder. Not sure why others are bashing Google not supporting this.
Also, as a FYI, my samba server is ran in a docker container (https://github.com/dperson/samba) in a Debian server.

As for my first thoughts on the CCWGTV, which I bought to stop using Visio's Smartcast platform on a P65-F1 (slow), to take advantage of my receiver's capabilities that can't go through HDMI 2.0 ARC (no ATMOS for example), and to not need a PC for Kodi alone:

- The name absolutely sucks. Googling anything gives tons of Chromecast results...have to filter "last week" to get relevant results. Google's marketing employee who signed off on this should be fired
- Apps available in the play store like any other Android device. Those that aren't can be sideloaded easily
- Main audio formats worked (DTS, DTS-MA, DD), but Dolby HD and AAC come as PCM stereo (tried both 18.8 and 19.0Alpha2)
- I always had ambilights connected via serial (ESP8266 w/ WLED) to PC...I successfully got is working installing Hyperion in my server and installing Hyperion Android Grabber. Works OK with 1080p content, 4K is no go. One frame per 2 seconds...I guess too CPU demanding

I do also have a ShieldTV (2015) in my living room, for a quarter the price Google got us a nice little device!

Are you using shared db?
I am trying this, but when starting the app after copying advancedsettings.xml it just crashes before even trying to display the splash screen.

Shared mysql database
Got it somewhat working now.
Apparently some of the path substitutions caused the crash. Got it down to sources.xml and Thumbnails used over nfs.

RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - Jellax - 2020-11-19

(2020-10-07, 19:34)droidkid Wrote:
(2020-10-07, 03:54)wrxtasy Wrote: The easiest way to Share files from a Windows / Linux / Mac / NAS file server setup to Kodi is using Zeroconf, see here to see how that is done
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=329883&pid=2971806#pid2971806

And if your file server supports it use NFS instead of SMB due to less network overheads and it consequently being faster.

Interesting I just built a file server with OpenMediaVault on my Raspberry Pi but I setup an SMB share maybe I'll give NFS a shot, In the past I've always used SMB shares so this is new to me.

Just got my CCWATV and installed Kodi but I cant seem to access the local folders so I can add my advancedsettings.xml, I also use central db.
How did you do that?

RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - Damien67 - 2020-11-19

(2020-10-07, 19:34)droidkid Wrote: Interesting I just built a file server with OpenMediaVault on my Raspberry Pi but I setup an SMB share maybe I'll give NFS a shot, In the past I've always used SMB shares so this is new to me.

Are you using shared db?

Shared mysql database

Did you figure this out? 

Yes, I am using a shared MariaSQL database running in a Docker container on my server.
I had nothing special to do other than copy my advancedsettings.xml.  The only path substitution I use is for the thumbnails, which are in my SMB server.

Are your users restricted on the SQL server?
I host many databases for different purposes in mine, and I have a dedicated username/password combo for each service, that only has access to the specific database.
This means that every new major version of Kodi that requires a new database to be created (which is the case with 19), I give my Kodi user temporary CREATE permissions on the SQL server for the sake of creating the new video/music databases.

RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - crawfish - 2020-11-20

If this device has an auto-sleep feature, can it be disabled? It is possible on the Fire Stick 4K, and I use it to turn the stick into a dedicated 24/7 Kodi device, so I never see the Amazon UI. Even after stopping playback and turning the TV off, I come back to Kodi, and it's wherever I left it.

RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - meccs - 2020-11-22

That thing is ridiculously expensive here in Germany (~80 USD). Is the USB Port on it 2.0 or 3.0?

RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - noggin - 2020-11-22

(2020-11-22, 00:03)meccs Wrote: That thing is ridiculously expensive here in Germany (~80 USD). Is the USB Port on it 2.0 or 3.0?

In the UK the best value is to buy it with the bundled Netflix offer - which gets you around £50 worth of Netflix credit. (Obviously only useful if you are a Netflix subscriber)

RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - RockerC - 2020-11-22

Google Store usually have a Black Friday deals and/or sales too IIRC?

Hopefully they will include this dongle in a good deal or sale this year.

RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - Kodroid - 2020-11-24

(2020-11-22, 13:25)RockerC Wrote: Google Store usually have a Black Friday deals and/or sales too IIRC?

Hopefully they will include this dongle in a good deal or sale this year.
The best you will get for Black Friday is $10 off, and that's doubtful. I will bet that by Fall 2021, you will see some stores try to get rid of these by cutting the price 30-50% off when they realize people prefer Roku and FireTV devices over these dongles. That's when you scoop one up.

RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - fredentoft - 2020-11-24

(2020-11-19, 18:38)Damien67 Wrote:
(2020-10-08, 20:05)Damien67 Wrote: No issue for me with SMB...

Are you using shared db?

Shared mysql database

Did you figure this out? 

Yes, I am using a shared MariaSQL database running in a Docker container on my server.
I had nothing special to do other than copy my advancedsettings.xml.  The only path substitution I use is for the thumbnails, which are in my SMB server.

Are your users restricted on the SQL server?
I host many databases for different purposes in mine, and I have a dedicated username/password combo for each service, that only has access to the specific database.
This means that every new major version of Kodi that requires a new database to be created (which is the case with 19), I give my Kodi user temporary CREATE permissions on the SQL server for the sake of creating the new video/music databases.

Yes, got it working.

Problem was some of the path substitutions.
Only SQL worked fine, then I added back substitution for sources.xml and Thumbnails.
Havent bothered checking the other files yet to identify exactly which file caused it.

RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - bibbyboi - 2020-11-25

Sorry if this has been answered already but I searched and I didn't come up with anything. I can't get kodi to have a 4k resolution in the Kodi system display settings and I have a 4k tv. Is there something I'm missing? Thanks in advance.

RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - noggin - 2020-11-25

(2020-11-25, 07:35)bibbyboi Wrote: Sorry if this has been answered already but I searched and I didn't come up with anything. I can't get kodi to have a 4k resolution in the Kodi system display settings and I have a 4k tv. Is there something I'm missing? Thanks in advance.

For some reason the reported settings to Kodi from the Android TV OS are always 1080p60 I think.  However the system settings do seem to apply in frame rate terms (i.e. if you set the OS to 50Hz and play a 50Hz video you get 50Hz playback, even though Kodi reports the resolution as 60Hz). I've not tested whether the same is true for resolution by using a 4K test pattern with a sensible multi burst or similar resolution test yet.