Kodi Community Forum
PlayOn UPnP MediaServer for Netflix, Hulu, CBS, ESPN, and Amazon VOD playback in XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: PlayOn UPnP MediaServer for Netflix, Hulu, CBS, ESPN, and Amazon VOD playback in XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=36218)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

- zebraitis - 2009-04-24

Hotkey Wrote:So Hulu does work? What ap?

PlayOn.

Playon UPnP Media Server.

It's in the name of the thread.

*facepalmslap* Laugh

- Hotkey - 2009-04-25

zebraitis Wrote:PlayOn.

Playon UPnP Media Server.

It's in the name of the thread.

*facepalmslap* Laugh

I knew that! Have even tried it (with some issues). I thought perhaps the plug in was working again! Any chance?

- zebraitis - 2009-04-25

Hotkey Wrote:I knew that! Have even tried it (with some issues). I thought perhaps the plug in was working again! Any chance?

You know...

I just spent about 20 minutes typing a real long reply.

And then, *BAM* is disappeared when I hit "preview". Shocked

So here is the compressed version:

1) I have had PlayOn server since the beta.

2) PlayOn Server runs on my home server, and the PlayOn UPnP client is on my 3 XBMC's (on XBOX). Two are wired ethernet. one is wireless.

3) I use it for Netflix and YouTube. Works great.

4) Sorry, I do not use it for Hulu, so I can't help you there.

5) Netflix has a much better selection. Between the DVD's and streaming via PlayOn, I cancelled my DirecTV premium and save $60 / month, so the ROI from PlayOn was the first month.

If there are questions that I can help let me know.

V.

- tobin_989 - 2009-04-26

a

- Hotkey - 2009-04-26

zebraitis Wrote:You know...

I just spent about 20 minutes typing a real long reply.

And then, *BAM* is disappeared when I hit "preview". Shocked

So here is the compressed version:

1) I have had PlayOn server since the beta.

2) PlayOn Server runs on my home server, and the PlayOn UPnP client is on my 3 XBMC's (on XBOX). Two are wired ethernet. one is wireless.

3) I use it for Netflix and YouTube. Works great.

4) Sorry, I do not use it for Hulu, so I can't help you there.

5) Netflix has a much better selection. Between the DVD's and streaming via PlayOn, I cancelled my DirecTV premium and save $60 / month, so the ROI from PlayOn was the first month.

If there are questions that I can help let me know.

V.

I guess I'm interested in HuLu for the TV stuff.

I think that PlayOn is worth the money... - yabel - 2009-04-30

Ive been a XBMC user for alot of years now and have been downloading scripts and plugins to enjoy the net on my TV. I found PLAYON
http://www.themediamall.com/
and have been waiting on it to support Wii since I didnt have a ps3 or 360. I came along people posting that they could use it on XBMC but it was a Unofficial Device. I downloaded a trial ver and installed in about 5 mins. Set up was a breeze, the program runs on your pc and you use xbmc to connect to the program through VIDEO/UpNp. My xbmc found it right away and that was it.
It offers Netflix, Hulu, youtube, cbs, espn and many other channels. With netflix and hulu you enter your info into the settings on your pc so it connects to your acct. People are creating plugins also.. HGTV, FoodNetwork, and even Redtube.
I know the current xbmc and plugins cant run netflix or hulu so this is a option that I feel is worth the $40.
I searched over forums and saw a few posts about this site but thought I would create a thread where people could post their experiences with it.

- iRoNBiLL - 2009-04-30

Good call yabel. I told people before that Hulu runs on it and people acted like I was full of it! Glad to see I'm not the only one who uses Hulu on XBMC. I watch the Colbert Report all the time and when people ask how do I do it, I tell them Playon and there like "fine, don't give me your working Hulu plugin then" and I keep telling them it's not the plugin but Playon and they never look into it.

Check out Playon to play Hulu on XBMC today!
http://www.themediamall.com/playon

iRoNBiLL

P.S. Responding to Sion28... well good for you. Obviously this message wasn't for you. Don't be surprised about a lot of things. Not everyone goes hunting down your threads just because you make them Wink

- sion28 - 2009-04-30

iRoNBiLL Wrote:Good call yabel. I told people before that Hulu runs on it and people acted like I was full of it! Glad to see I'm not the only one who uses Hulu on XBMC. I watch the Colbert Report all the time and when people ask how do I do it, I tell them Playon and there like "fine, don't give me your working Hulu plugin then" and I keep telling them it's not the plugin but Playon and they never look into it.

Check out Playon to play Hulu on XBMC today!
http://www.themediamall.com/playon

iRoNBiLL

That's really surprising that you say that, since I was using Playon for HULU on my xbmc xbox, long before the Hulu plugin was written: back when playon was still in beta. Guess where I found out about it? Right here.

It's not news, and the xbmc.org community is (and has been for a while), as far as I have experienced, aware and supportive of it. Maybe you just tend to post to/with the wrong people? ;-)

EDIT:
Here's the thread that I think brought playon to my attention last year:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=36218&highlight=playon+hulu
August 2008, predates RTMP capability in xbmc, thus no hulu plugins at the time.

As can be seen in that thread, LOTS of people used Playon back then for Hulu. That's why I'm surprised at your comment that you've found people unreceptive or unbelieving about Playon as a Hulu vehicle.

I just don't feel like shelling out the $40, just to watch 24 and House on the rare occasions that I miss them.

- yabel - 2009-05-01

Well the reason I posted it here was so many ppl want a netflix and hulu plugin and it seems to be a dream right now. So thought I would post a alternative. I love my xbmc and all the plugins and this just caps me off for tv stuff. I have got rid of cable tv and my dvr so thats why i want a way to watch cable shows or shows i miss. Didn't mean to post it in wrong section but with so many people wanting hulu and netflix on xbmc it could be a option for them.

Plus I am hoping that more people jump on board and create more plugins for it.

- DrkRavenBrow - 2009-05-01

OK so on the advice of this thread and not knowing when the hulu plugin will get fixed for xbmc, I tried playon.
good things:
easy set up
simple to use
it works...sort of
bad things:
i'm not sure why, but there is a lag. it's about 1/2-1 sec between the voice and action.
The videos would only play if I choose dvd player. would not work with mplayer for me.
I had to take down my firewall for it to work on xbmc
I'll try it out for 14 more days (free trail) to see if it get any better. Do any of you experience this issue?

- DDM123 - 2009-05-01

I've been running PlayOn through XP on VMware. It works pretty well, but I'm not quite willing to shell out $40 for it. If it were ported to Linux, or if it could work well enough through WINE, I'd buy it immediately. I tried Boxee's new RSS-based Hulu support, but I hate that it only has recent videos, so I'm sticking with XBMC.

If you want to use a VM to run Playon, use VMware since Virtualbox, at least for me, only used one CPU so Hulu kept choking with it on my 2.5ghz C2D. VMware server keeps up ok.

- yabel - 2009-05-01

I made a few changes on my settings a while back when testing alot of plugins on my xbox. I increased video cache to 4096 (or close ). I also went into event server and increased time (close to 2000) since some Hulu connects would fail.
Everything seems to work great now. I have read it does depend on your PCs power and hdd space. It stated on the REV3 plugin that it needed middle to highend pc.
My specs
athlon 2.4 duo core
4 gigs ram
15 gigs of space on OD drive
6 mb internet connection

- DrkRavenBrow - 2009-05-01

hmm...I'm not sure how to increase the event server to 2000 on XP or xbox? Can you provide instructions?
I have my cache settings to their highest levels for everything in xbmc.
If I can get the synch problem solved, and Hulu from dropping the video after 10minutes, I'm sold.

My specs:
intel 2.8 Dual Core
4.5gigs ram
120 gigs of HD space
N rounter and N wireless bridge

- yabel - 2009-05-01

You make adjustment in xbmc on xbox. Here is info from link on mediamail..
This was Posted by drsedlis on Thu, 03/05/2009 - 20:26.

so your hulu hangs after you start to cache a video file and then you get something along the lines of aborted playback, too many dropped files or something like that.

the problem is in your xbox settings, specifically go to
Network Preferences

then

Event Server

go to "Continuous Repeat Delay (ms)" which is probably set at some unbelievably low number (mine was 25 ms). Crank this number up to something in the thousands (i have mine at 9825 or 9.825 seconds, which is probably way high, but hey)

Then go back and try to watch again.

I also found I had more success when i was watching in 480p (v. 720p)

I think the problem is that XBMC gets too impatient with the hulu connection and thinks the connection is dead (prematurely)

I made mine 2000 whihc seems to be fine atm.

The drop after 10 mins is a problem other shave had on playon... Let me look on foums I think its a firewall issue if i remember posts.
Let you know if i find something.

Edit.. Ive looked and only real posts were those of FW issues. You might log on and post your issue and see what the staff suggests. My gut says look to fw or router since you connect but stops after 10 mins. Ive been watchin shows the last 2 days with little issue.

- DrkRavenBrow - 2009-05-02

so the shows don't drop anymore since I changed the event server (thanks for the info).
The delay is better, but it's about a half a second and it's annoying. I'll keep tweaking the settings on playon, I know they suggested maybe go to medium instead of max or auto. I'll try that to see how it works.