Kodi Community Forum
Are FanArt Backdrops limited to library-mode only? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Meta-Data provider and Artwork Packs (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=71)
+--- Thread: Are FanArt Backdrops limited to library-mode only? (/showthread.php?tid=36372)

Pages: 1 2 3

Are FanArt Backdrops limited to library-mode only? - Kris_Toff - 2008-08-26

I have all my movies (500+) organized in folders by genre. For each movie I have 4 files:
movie.avi
movie.tbn
movie.nfo
movie-fanart.jpg

I have tried to use all skins (aeon, mediastream, pm3 or xtv) which are supposed to support backdrops but none of them show them without enabling the "video library" which basically forces me to use a Genre classification I don't like.

I could go in each nfo file and overwrite the genre field but that would take foreverevereverever...

Any hope the above skins could do that ? Are there any reason why the use of backdrop is limited to Library Mode ?

Thanks for any advice or clues if I want to hack the skins to achieve that

- fluidman - 2008-08-26

hmm... i am using aeon and movie-fanart.jpg and its working for me just fine, even in file mode...

- sho - 2008-08-26

Kris_Toff Wrote:which basically forces me to use a Genre classification I don't like.
Please elaborate.

- Kris_Toff - 2008-08-26

sho Wrote:Please elaborate.

If I use the library (from IMDB), each movie gets a Genre classification like
Action/Adventure/Drama

which then makes each movie appear in 3 categories.

I have organized all my movies into specific "Genre" folders on my NAS
Action Movies
Comedies
Sci-Fi
Kids
They each are mounted as sources in the "Movies" XBMC section.

(some of them actually have lock to prevent kids from seeing what they are not supposed to...)

I have used XBMC Media companion (great) so that each movie has a nfo file.
I would have hoped that a skin could use this file to get the information, and the associated -fanart.jpg files to make a nice backdrop...

So if I use the library mode, I loose control of my genres unless I go and edit everyone of the nfo files I have for each movie. I thought having a .nfo file would mean the movie information could just be read along with the file, fanart, tbn, etc... doesn't do that...

I have been using the xTV skin but I like MediaStream, Vision2, etc but none of them seem to use that fanart file when I am not in library mode. Aeon does it but is buggy for me...

Hope you haven't fallen asleep reading that much Wink

Thanks !

- sho - 2008-08-26

While you are IMHO depriving you of some of the best things XBMC has to offer, we need a dev to confirm that fanart should work in file mode.
If it should, you are either doing something wrong or there is a bug.

There seems to be confusion on what should work and what not:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=36144

- Kris_Toff - 2008-08-26

sho Wrote:While you are IMHO depriving you of some of the best things XBMC has to offer, we need a dev to confirm that fanart should work in file mode.
If it should, you are either doing something wrong or there is a bug.

There seems to be confusion on what should work and what not:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=36144

The Aeon skin is able to do it without Library Enable so it is possible. Unfortunately, the aeon skin is the only one and I am having crash issues with it...

With all the Movie Information available as files, a skin should have no problem using it instead of doing a lookup from the library.

Also, library mode will prevent me from putting a lock on some folders...

I hope skins get to implement such option (like Aeon) soon Smile

- Hitcher - 2008-08-26

I can confirm that AEON shows fanart in File mode.

- kraqh3d - 2008-08-26

quick question... does it only show the fanart in files mode after scanning to the library? (i'm still in the office and cant check right now.)

- Kris_Toff - 2008-08-26

Yes it does, at least for the MediaStream.

But I would really like it to work as an option in any skin in File Mode

Thanks !

- Kris_Toff - 2008-08-26

Kris_Toff Wrote:Yes it does, at least for the MediaStream.

But I would really like it to work as an option in any skin in File Mode

Thanks !

Sorry I misread the question...
In FILE MODE, no skins except AEON show backdrop for the movies...

(but AEON crashes too much)

- kraqh3d - 2008-08-26

your answer wasn't very clear. is it only after scanning? or always?
and its skinners choice. you can update PM3 to support it. open myvideonav.xml in a text editor and look for "fanart". you'll see an info tag of fanart.image. you can copy the control into myvideofiles.xml.

- Kris_Toff - 2008-08-26

kraqh3d Wrote:your answer wasn't very clear. is it only after scanning? or always?
and its skinners choice. you can update PM3 to support it. open myvideonav.xml in a text editor and look for "fanart". you'll see an info tag of fanart.image. you can copy the control into myvideofiles.xml.

My point is that in order for me to see any backdrop image for movies, I have to be in Library Mode and have scanned the folders.
As soon as I leave library mode, no backdrop fanart ever show, regardless the view. (my folders content are all set to movies/imdb)

I can find a control referencing fanart.image in both MyVideonav.xml and MyVideo.xml but I can't find MyVideoFiles.xml.

Here is what I see:
Quote:<control type="image" id="1000">
<description>Fanart background</description>
<posx>180</posx>
<posy>88</posy>
<width>540</width>
<height>449</height>
<aspectratio scalediffuse="false">scale</aspectratio>
<texture diffuse="Content_Panel_Diffuse.png" />
<info>Fanart.Image</info>
<include>contentpanelslide</include>
<visible>!IsEmpty(Fanart.Image) + Skin.HasSetting(ShowFanart)</visible>
</control>

Thanks for your help...

- Kris_Toff - 2008-08-26

If I look at PM3 Skin Settings
the only option I see is that is relevant is:

Show Fanart in Video Library

I guess what I am looking for is:

Show Fanart in File Mode

Smile

- fluidman - 2008-08-26

sorry to interrupt here (didnt want to start a new topic), i just have a quick question: how do i delete the cached fanart? cause some show old ones even wen i update the movie-fanart.jpg... so where do i delete the cached ones?

- Kris_Toff - 2008-08-26

fluidman Wrote:sorry to interrupt here (didnt want to start a new topic), i just have a quick question: how do i delete the cached fanart? cause some show old ones even wen i update the movie-fanart.jpg... so where do i delete the cached ones?

I assume it is in E:\XBMC\UserData\Thumbnails\Video\Fanart\