Kodi Community Forum
Embedded FLAC Cue Sheet Support? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Embedded FLAC Cue Sheet Support? (/showthread.php?tid=36823)

Pages: 1 2 3

Embedded FLAC Cue Sheet Support? - viniciusferrao - 2008-09-07

Hi people,

XBMC can support Cuesheets (.cue), right? But cannot support Embedded FLAC Cuesheets Sad

Since XBMC can parse .cue perfectly, It should be easy to read the metadata in FLAC files.

Just a suggestion and I really wanna see this Smile

Thanks.

- blittan - 2008-09-07

make a feature suggestion on the tracker

- viniciusferrao - 2008-09-07

Hmm, never used a ticket system :p

Issued: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/4819

Thanks! I hope we'll get this in 8.10 release Smile

- jmarshall - 2008-09-07

If you could attach a (small) sample FLAC file that would be an advantage. Note that it will not make 8.10 as we're fixing bugs only, and this doesn't qualify.

- HeresJohnny - 2011-03-04

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but embedding cuesheets has become fairly common practice since foobar made it mainstream. There seems to be a patch for XBMC in the ticket previously submitted, any chance that could make it into one of the next builds?

- jmarshall - 2011-03-05

I think it's fair to say that foobar isn't mainstream.

Personally I think it's a completely stupid way to store music tracks - break them into tracks so you can have separate metadata available and so on!

I'm going through patches on trac this weekend that are in my area, so I'll take a good look at it.

Cheers,
Jonathan

- HeresJohnny - 2011-03-20

jmarshall Wrote:Personally I think it's a completely stupid way to store music tracks - break them into tracks so you can have separate metadata available and so on!

That may be your personal opinion, but an image file is still the best way to copy a CD without having to care about the gaps. Using an embedded cuesheet shows it to the host system as separate tracks for all it is worth.

jmarshall Wrote:I'm going through patches on trac this weekend that are in my area, so I'll take a good look at it.

Thanks for this! Did it make it into the trunk and are there any binaries for Windows I could try?

- jmarshall - 2011-03-20

Quote:but an image file is still the best way to copy a CD without having to care about the gaps

If you want to copy a CD for burning, perhaps. Who does that anymore? If you're copying it for playback, then it is completely unnecessary, and as you can see, is not supported in many players. No metadata per track is a really crappy way to go.

And no, I didn't get to the trac ticket, so it's not in trunk. Whether it will end up there or not depends on someone having the time to look at it. At the moment I have too many other things on my plate. If someone would grab the current patch, rebase on master and do a pull request then it would have a much higher chance of going in.

Cheers,
Jonathan

- tagscuderia - 2011-04-05

I too would appreciate embedded CueSheet support albeit I use WavPack. I have all of my CDs archived this way but it would be nice to be able to use these files for playback! I'm on OS X (PowerPC) so I can't use Foobar2000 nor DeaDBeeF so it'd be a nice addition to XBMC.

- ZERO <ibis> - 2011-04-06

This is one of the reasons that I do not use xbmc for music. Instead I load up foobar every time. It would be really nice to have support for this Cool

- uomiarz - 2011-08-25

yet another "me too" Smile
looks like recently more and more music shows up this way
any good program to split it to single flacs? (linux preferred)

- ginshou - 2011-10-17

jmarshall Wrote:break them into tracks so you can have separate metadata available and so on!
jmarshall Wrote:No metadata per track is a really crappy way to go.
Um, what?

Per-track metadata tagging/reading for a FLAC image+embedded cue sheet works fine in foobar2000. Metadata can easily be applied only to a specific index ("track") in a cue sheet (this is of course useful for stuff like "featuring: (artist)" Do you really think folks would use it if this wasn't possible..?

FLAC images with embedded cue sheets are functionally identical to split tracks in foobar2000. You are mistaken about there being some limitation there..

- MeC!as - 2011-11-10

I like to see it as well, I think that would be a great feature to have in XMBC.

I think as well, that FLAC is a common way to save/backup your CD collection. Singletrack files for a usual one Artist Album and Multitrack files with embedded cuesheets for mixes.

Hope it will find a way in one of the next versions or updates.

THX in advance.

ps:

sorry to dig up this old thread Blush

Workaround - totomoto - 2011-11-14

There is very easy workaround for this. All you have to do is make cuesheets for your flac/ape albums. You can do it in foobar2000, all you need is CueSheet Creator plugin.
Simply mark the tracks belonging to the album and make cuesheet (right click -> utilities -> save as cuesheet...). Save cuesheet to the same folder where the flac/ape album file is located and rescan your XBMC library.

- HeresJohnny - 2011-11-15

Why would we want to do that if the purpose is to get rid of cuesheets in the first place? This is not the "I-have-a-problem-forum", but the "I'd-like-more-features" forum.