Kodi Community Forum
Native "Continue Watching" Playlist/Functionality - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Native "Continue Watching" Playlist/Functionality (/showthread.php?tid=369739)

Pages: 1 2

Native "Continue Watching" Playlist/Functionality - ntilikp - 2022-09-21

Users today are accustomed to a frictionless interface for resuming their media where they left off.  

Netflix:

HBO Max: 

Amazon Prime:

Peacock:

Plex:

The lack of such an option in Kodi is glaring, and repeatedly comes up as a beginner question.  

Over the years, community solutions have emerged but all come with significant flaws:  addons like script.skin.helper.widgets and script.embuary.helper attempt to generate a widget that mimics the behavior but are slow and buggy, if functional at all.  The Lazy-TV addon attempts to maintain a smart playlist for quicker load times, but smart playlist parameters don't allow for sorting the list in the expected order, and don't refresh automatically to reflect newly watched media.  

Broadening the optionality of smart playlists could resolve this issue.

RE: Native "Continue Watching" Playlist/Functionality - jbinkley60 - 2022-09-22

(2022-09-21, 23:00)ntilikp Wrote: The lack of such an option in Kodi is glaring, and repeatedly comes up as a beginner question.  

Over the years, community solutions have emerged but all come with significant flaws:  addons like script.skin.helper.widgets and script.embuary.helper attempt to generate a widget that mimics the behavior but are slow and buggy, if functional at all.  The Lazy-TV addon attempts to maintain a smart playlist for quicker load times, but smart playlist parameters don't allow for sorting the list in the expected order, and don't refresh automatically to reflect newly watched media.  

I am curious about your request.  Here's a screenshot of one of my Kodi instances running the default skin.  The In Progress Movies seems to align with what you are asking for.  Is the question sharing this information across Kodi instances ?  I use a bit different system to sync bookmarks across Kodi instances / profiles and force the skin to update so you see the latest watched statuses.  Here's another library view using a slightly different smart playlist technology for the Last 100 played.  It can be easily modified to only include those that haven't completed play (i.e. play counter is still 0).  I am curious how this differs with what you are looking for ?

Thanks,

jeff

RE: Native "Continue Watching" Playlist/Functionality - ntilikp - 2022-09-22

(2022-09-22, 02:49)jbinkley60 Wrote:
(2022-09-21, 23:00)ntilikp Wrote: The lack of such an option in Kodi is glaring, and repeatedly comes up as a beginner question.  

I am curious about your request.  Here's a screenshot of one of my Kodi instances running the default skin.  The In Progress Movies seems to align with what you are asking for.  Is the question sharing this information across Kodi instances ?  I use a bit different system to sync bookmarks and force the skin to update so you see the latest watched statuses.  Here's another library view using a slightly different smart playlist technology for the Last 100 played that haven't completed play (i.e. play counter is still 0).  I am curious how this differs with what you are looking for ?

Thanks,

jeff

Sorry, I should have been clearer.  The screenshot you showed is for movies, and I'd like it for TV Shows -- I realize Kodi has the capability for adding an In Progress TV Shows smart playlist, but it links to the TV Shows themselves, and not the episode you left off on.  If you'll notice in the images I linked, the "continue watching" hub that's become industry-standard lists one episode from each in-progress TV Show which, when selected, plays that episode and then the following ones in that series.  I know of no way to achieve this behavior with Kodi.

The closest I've gotten is by setting a widget with the In Progress TV Shows smart playlist at the top of my home menu sorted by LastPlayed, and then setting "Select first unwatched TV Show season / episode" in Kodi's preferences.  This works, but still requires several clicks, and it seems odd that Kodi would fall behind on this feature that people have come to take for granted in media players.

RE: Native "Continue Watching" Playlist/Functionality - jbinkley60 - 2022-09-22

(2022-09-22, 02:57)ntilikp Wrote: Sorry, I should have been clearer.  The screenshot you showed is for movies, and I'd like it for TV Shows -- I realize Kodi has the capability for adding an In Progress TV Shows smart playlist, but it links to the TV Shows themselves, and not the episode you left off on.  If you'll notice in the images I linked, the "continue watching" hub that's become industry-standard lists one episode from each in-progress TV Show which, when selected, plays that episode and then the following ones in that series.  I know of no way to achieve this behavior with Kodi.

The closest I've gotten is by setting a widget with the In Progress TV Shows smart playlist at the top of my home menu sorted by LastPlayed, and then setting "Select first unwatched TV Show season / episode" in Kodi's preferences.  This works, but still requires several clicks, and it seems odd that Kodi would fall behind on this feature that people have come to take for granted in media players.

Got it. now  That makes sense.  I use a different solution in the second library view above and tie it to the episodes vs. TV Shows, which is how Kodi tracks it.  I agree your suggestion would improve the native Kodi experience for tracking TV Show episode watching.

Jeff

RE: Native "Continue Watching" Playlist/Functionality - Dumyat - 2022-10-11

@ntilikp 
I thought I already had the kind of feature you're describing included on my current skin mod of Estuary for TV Episodes, but it must have been included on an earlier incarnation that I removed for some reason.
Anyway, I've updated the skin to include the feature again as I would also find it very useful. I'm pretty sure it's what you were wanting, but I'm not sure the next un-watched episode will be shown after the in-progress one has been watched. So, in that respect it's maybe not entirely what you were wanting. Screenshot and link to skin below:-

Skin-Link: 366117 (thread)

Might be of use to you.....
Cheers

RE: Native "Continue Watching" Playlist/Functionality - ntilikp - 2022-10-12

(2022-10-11, 18:47)Dumyat Wrote: @ntilikp 
I thought I already had the kind of feature you're describing included on my current skin mod of Estuary for TV Episodes, but it must have been included on an earlier incarnation that I removed for some reason.
Anyway, I've updated the skin to include the feature again as I would also find it very useful. I'm pretty sure it's what you were wanting, but I'm not sure the next un-watched episode will be shown after the in-progress one has been watched. So, in that respect it's maybe not entirely what you were wanting. Screenshot and link to skin below:-

Skin-Link: 366117 (thread)

Might be of use to you.....
Cheers

Hey appreciate you reaching out. This widget and your skin in general look great!

I should have updated this thread earlier but in my search for this functionality I was made aware of this fork of the UpNext service by MoojMidge which includes a widget that fits my needs (along with some other really cool features, like detecting end credits automatically)

Here's how it appears for me, and it works with in-progress episodes as well, in case it's useful for you or anyone else Smile

RE: Native "Continue Watching" Playlist/Functionality - Dumyat - 2022-10-15

(2022-10-12, 22:31)ntilikp Wrote: Here's how it appears for me, and it works with in-progress episodes as well, in case it's useful for you or anyone else Smile
Great stuff.
I already use the official 'UpNext' addon, but will certainly give this fork a try as well.
Cheers

RE: Native "Continue Watching" Playlist/Functionality - beisat - 2022-10-31

Hey, thanks for the link.

Been looking for something like this and agree with everything you wrote on your first post! Having this feature as part of the default skin would be great. I used to use embuary just for this one feature, but it was a bit slow and broke with Kodi 19. The skin also installed so much other stuff I did not require. In the end, I didn’t feel like messing around with skins anymore and now just use estuary, but I still miss the feature.

If I may ask: what skin did you use the service.upnext with. Did you have to dl and install the addon as a zip? Is there some setup guide? If it’s lightweight and stable, I would love to try it.

RE: Native "Continue Watching" Playlist/Functionality - ntilikp - 2022-10-31

(2022-10-31, 00:28)beisat Wrote: Hey, thanks for the link.

Been looking for something like this and agree with everything you wrote on your first post! Having this feature as part of the default skin would be great. I used to use embuary just for this one feature, but it was a bit slow and broke with Kodi 19. The skin also installed so much other stuff I did not require. In the end, I didn’t feel like messing around with skins anymore and now just use estuary, but I still miss the feature.

If I may ask: what skin did you use the service.upnext with. Did you have to dl and install the addon as a zip? Is there some setup guide? If it’s lightweight and stable, I would love to try it.
The skin I'm using is Arctic Horizon 2 and I installed the addon via OpenDevTools in drinfernoo's repository (because I'm on an Xbox One and adding files from a .zip is a hassle), though I'm sure you could install by .zip as well.  It's performant and stable for me, but YMMV. 

You can find more info about setting up AH2 in its thread but here's a quick clip showing how I set up the above widget: https://i.imgur.com/3l1394o.mp4

RE: Native "Continue Watching" Playlist/Functionality - beisat - 2022-10-31

Thanks a lot, very helpful. With your guide I got it to work. Will be trying out for a while and see how I like it, but it definitely seems much faster than the previous solutions. Hopefully the feature of this fork gets added to the main addon eventually.

Just a note for anybody else following the set up video posted for the skin: In the TV shows home menu item, you additionally need to deactivate the full screen widget. This one is set on a random TV show as a default.

RE: Native "Continue Watching" Playlist/Functionality - CakeSpork - 2023-02-13

Many thanks for this video, it saved me what usually amounts to hours tweaking (if I even thought of it being possible) and introduced me to this awesome skin!

I got all the functionality I want now, but I was just wondering - is Up Next behaving normally for you in the traditional use: showing a popup right at the end of an episode to skip credits? (I gave up on that when 'Next Up' broke a few years ago). It doesn't seem to be showing the popup for me in Arctic Horizons 2 and it's not a big deal if this doesn't work.

RE: Native "Continue Watching" Playlist/Functionality - izprtxqkft - 2023-02-14

in general @CakeSpork up next has been working perfectly for me in estuary, if its not working in AH2 maybe you could bring it up in their thread to get more assistance - https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=367352

RE: Native "Continue Watching" Playlist/Functionality - thegoof86 - 2023-02-15

thanks for the video. I tried to do exactly that in AH2, but Up Next is not showing as a Video Add-on. It's actually installed as a Program Add-on and if I choose Program Add-ons instead when following your steps, no add-ons show up in there. I installed Up Next via the Official Kodi repo. Do you know if need to install the fork instead, or do something else to get it as a video add-on to mirror your options?

RE: Native "Continue Watching" Playlist/Functionality - CakeSpork - 2023-02-17

I installed the fork, not Up Next itself, and can confirm it was working following the steps in the video

RE: Native "Continue Watching" Playlist/Functionality - CakeSpork - 2023-02-17

As I've installed a fork of Up Next I can imagine it's a bit of a niche request and don't want to overload the developer of this excellent skin. I'm probably just misconfiguring something anyway. Good point though, thanks for the helping hand!