Kodi Community Forum
Make library mode work without scrapers as well - import all files into the database? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Make library mode work without scrapers as well - import all files into the database? (/showthread.php?tid=37206)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Plex does it - AnalogKid - 2012-04-07

(2012-02-23, 09:02)bgrau2000 Wrote: it forked out off XBMC, but seems to have more common sense than some pig-headed devs of XBMC...
since they have a file only folder organised option...
haven't we forgotten that the user is King, and not an inflated ego dev?
I guess when you sell your product (like Plex do), you soon realise that indeed the Client (User) is King...
Let us hope XBMC keeps its user base instead of dying the slow death of those who think they know better than their users...
after all who the heck are you coding for?

I think that's a little harsh, but it's not entirely without merit.
I don't think it's pig headed developers though... I think it's any combination of the following:

1) It's been considered before and discounted (and once that's happened, people forget that sometimes an old idea takes on new meaning / life), so it's wise to revisit it once in a while.

2) Despite folks THINKING they are open minded, we all get tunnel vision to some extent. You're a Windows fan, or you're a Linux or Mac fan etc and there's a Right and Wrong way to do it. The 'current' way is right. The more fundamental your idea, the harder it will be for devs to be motivated. I'm a developer and I know in my heart of hearts when something is flawed, but I STILL carry on and bury my head in the sand, because at any given moment in time, the workaround is a better option than the fundamental fix... except in the end, you've put it off for so long, it's just a nightmare to contemplate.

3) It's a total pain in the ass to code something that goes against every principle in your body, but the client wants. Esp when you're convinced it's illogical or downright wrong. That's because I think I'm smarter than the client, and it's my job to advise them on the best design for them. I don't often think I'm wrong.
If I were my own client, I think I'd have fired me.

I'll say this though... and it hurts like hell for 99% of developers of a product...

Put your product in the hands of someone who's never used it before, and watch your 'usability' theories go right out of the window. It beggars belief what users (many intelligent) will do or assume.

RE: Make library mode work without scrapers as well - import all files into the database? - tim.dooley - 2012-05-09

I would like it if (as mentioned above) scrapers and .nfo files were optional or at very least if you could tell the scraper easily (GUI would be great) that a video file was a certain movie/tv show. I copy a lot of my dvd's and tv series onto my computer and it doesn't pick most of them up.

If you went with a GUI that allowed you to select media files as movies/tv episodes it would need to allow you to pick from the season list downloaded from the TVDB site or just type in the details manually.

Thank you.

RE: Make library mode work without scrapers as well - import all files into the database? - Konijntje - 2012-06-28

After spending this morning exporting path/filename/imdbID from the database and joining this information to CSV files containing the contents of all my Moviefolders, looking for files that do not have an IMDB ID and thus are not scraped into my database.
Having themoviedb on the left screen, changing these unknown filenames on the filesystem.

So after finding 18 unscraped movies in 700+ files i did not want to do this excercise for my TV show's.

I would really like an option to scan unknown files in my folders into a special category. not cluttering up my library view.

It's not the editing of the fileinformation that takes time, it's finding the unscraped files inbetween large numbers of files.

RE: Make library mode work without scrapers as well - import all files into the database? - helta - 2012-07-04

Konijntje: you do know about the Missing Movie Scanner addon, don't you? http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add-on:Missing_Movie_Scanner

RE: - MassIV - 2012-07-07

(2011-04-23, 04:05)mcosta1973 Wrote: Let me give you an example of what I tried to do to add a file with metadata info to the library.

1. I entered File Browse mode and went to a folder I have called "Blue Planet".
2. Right-clicked on that folder to Set Content to TV Show. When to TV show information, it found Blue Planet and loaded in all the info for the show.
3. Inside the Blue Planet folder, I have many files in this format "BBC - Blue Planet 02 - The Deep.avi". If I right click on that file and select Episode Information, I would have expected to be able to edit the details manually for that episode (setting season and episode number) and then run the scraper with that info. Instead it runs the scraper automatically and returns no info found.
4. If I add the file manually to the library, it doesn't appear under the Blue Planet show in the Video Library.
5. If I manually edit the database, I can get the episode to appear under the Blue Planet show, but then clicking Episode Info on it just resets the data and it disappears from the library.

I know the answer now to make it work would be to rename the files, but there are potentially thousands of them and it is not something I am willing to do. What would be ideal would be the ability to individually scrape episodes inside the gui after you have entered the appropriate data.

This.
+ 1 for add to library by name.

RE: Make library mode work without scrapers as well - import all files into the database? - Konijntje - 2012-07-07

Thanks for the tip Helta.

Not exactly what i meant but it does point me in the right direction, does not seem to work very well for TV shows but that could just be my own shortcoming....

RE: Make library mode work without scrapers as well - import all files into the database? - ralves58 - 2012-11-27

I don't understand... ALL of the recent messages explaining WHY insert a movie in the library even if the scrapers don't have information about it, is so important for us, users, are removed... Only the developers' opinions matter, users opinions doesn't matter at all?

We users have to use TWO separate views (movies and files) for the same thing (view a list of all our movies) - something very confusing at least --, only because it's what the developers think is better for us?... :-(

OK, but explain me that: WHY I can't have a UNIQUE list of all of my movies, with or without library info, in just ONE place ? It doesn't make sense...

[ ] Rubens
from Brazil

RE: Make library mode work without scrapers as well - import all files into the database? - doveman2 - 2012-11-27

Yeah, what's up with that?

RE: Make library mode work without scrapers as well - import all files into the database? - pisoj1 - 2012-11-27

I haven't read through the entire thread but I have had a decent read, I agree with OP...but I think it should perhaps be done a little differently.

I propose 3 things that should be possible...

Make it so you can add files into the movie/tv show library that don't have nfo files and they just appear as a say a black box or some kind of image for the poster, up to the skin the user is using. Then perhaps have a built in editor to create the nfo file for it where users can input what they like...or not if they choose not to. Also maybe make an option where you can say if you want them viable or not.

Make it possible to have other options besides movies/tv shows, custom ones where a user can make it behave like a tv show but not.

Something I've seen a lot is people wanting to put documentaries on the menu bar but don't have them as tv shows...yes you can do it via smart playlists but the files will still be visible in tv shows. But it would behave has tv shows, e.g. episode number season number etc....

So basically if I created an nfo file and had a tag calling saying it was a documentary it would put it in that menu

All I really want is a way to add home menu items that are treated like tv shows but don't contain any tv shows that aren't belonging to it ...so it shows the shows I choose for it.

If tv shows has directories d:/tv shows e:/tv shows it only includes them
if the custom category is ufc it only contains f:/UFC

RE: Make library mode work without scrapers as well - import all files into the database? - Ned Scott - 2012-11-28

Because this is an outdated thread with outdated information.

The XBMC Wiki already explains how to use a 3rd party scraper to import movies using just the file name, but an internal solution that does that needs some tweaking. If it was easy then we would have done it already.

RE: Make library mode work without scrapers as well - import all files into the database? - doveman2 - 2012-11-28

So is there a current thread with current information?

Using another scraper to import the missing movies is rather clunky. I'm sure it's complicated to tweak the internal solution, it just seemed that this wasn't being actively looked at. If it is, that's great but some information on progress/timescale would be appreciated.

RE: library mode work without scrapers - import all files into the database? - Hollako - 2016-03-09

Hi all,

I have read this thread and have a question about the following process by adding folder/files to the database:

File/Folder-name => Regular Expression Importer Filter => New database entry => Extra Media Meta Data from XBMC Scrapers

Is there any updates regarding this process of adding library in Kodi ?

Thank you.