Kodi Community Forum
Nokia Internet Tablet (770/N800/N810) - Touchscreen remote for XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: Nokia Internet Tablet (770/N800/N810) - Touchscreen remote for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=37304)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Touchscreen remote for XBMC : Smartphones, Nokia Internet Tablet (770/N800/N810) - umcisou - 2008-09-18

Hi everybody,

I'am working on a remote for the Nokia Internet Tablet (770/N800/N810) to control XBMC.

It's a very simple interface to send action through the touchscreen to your xbmc's computer, like a classic IR remote.

Screenshot :

Video :
Youtube link

Features of v.01 :

- Navigation pad : up, dow, left, right and enter
- Menu
- Go back
- Fullscreen/not fullscreen
- Playing control : previous, rewind, stop, play, pause, forward, next
- Volume control : low, mute, high

Download :
remote-tablet v.01.zip

Installation :
1. Enable the web server on XBMC (System>Network>Server)
2. Unzip the folder in your computer /usr/share/xbmc/web (you will need root access)
3. Give the permissions to others to access folder and files
4. In the Internet Tablet open a web window and go to
Code:
http://yourXBMCip:port/remote-tablet/index.html

This version is made for the resolution of the internet tablet (800*480) but works indeed with higher resolution.

If people are interested I can adapt it for smaller screen like smartphones.

P.S : There is a bug with volume low and high like commands xbmcCmds/xbmcHttp?command=Action&parameter=89 and xbmcCmds/xbmcHttp?command=Action&parameter=88 are not working.
Any idea ?

Edit 29/09/2008 : New release of the Touchscreen Remote v.02
Support for smartphones and some other stuffs.
Download : Touchscreen-remote-v.02.zip
See this post for more informations.

Edit 08/10/2008 : New release of the Touchscreen Remote v.03
Download : Touchscreen-remote-v.03.zip
See this post for more informations.

- Rand Al Thor - 2008-09-18

Looks good! Gives me a reason to dust off the old 770. I will be picking up and Iphone soon but it never hurts to have an extra remote around the house. Cheers.

- Rand Al Thor - 2008-09-18

I have had a chance to play around with it and I must say it works very well. You said above that it has a "menu" button. I am assuming that is the one with the question mark? As far as I can tell it takes me home. An info button or menu button would be nice. The screen is just a hair too big on my 770, i get scroll bars on the side and bottom. Other than that, this thing is great!! Now I don't have to get out of bed to start a new movie on my computer Wink

- umcisou - 2008-09-19

Thanks for your feedback. Glad to see it's useful.

Rand Al Thor Wrote:You said above that it has a "menu" button. I am assuming that is the one with the question mark?

Yes it is. In fact it's a Gnome menu icon, I will change it for something more obvious.

Rand Al Thor Wrote:An info button or menu button would be nice.

It's planned for the next version (both info and context menu).

Rand Al Thor Wrote:The screen is just a hair too big on my 770, i get scroll bars on the side and bottom.

It fits well on n800. It should also with n810 (both with OS2008).
The 770 has a different OS (OS2007) so perhaps that's why you have scroll bar.

I will try to fix this.

- Rand Al Thor - 2008-09-19

Great! Thanks again Wink

- dwmcqueen - 2008-09-19

I am looking forward to trying this out - seems a bit overkill on an N800 Wink, so I will be using my N770 as well....

Very good idea!

- jking2100 - 2008-09-21

This seems to work well. Only problems have been contextual menus. Such as the Favorites button on the Home screen. Once in there you are stuck unless you use the mouse.

Do you have a time line for the volume fix? That will be a great feature.

JKing2100

- umcisou - 2008-09-22

jking2100 Wrote:Do you have a time line for the volume fix?

I know it's a disturbing bug, I hope I can fix it as soon as possible.

I've post a thread in the bug section forum.

If it can't be fix, an other way is to make a volume progressive bar with settings (0%, 20%, 40%, 60%, 80%, 100%).

- umcisou - 2008-09-22

jking2100 Wrote:Do you have a time line for the volume fix?

Thanks to jmarshall it's now fix on revision r15657.

So I hope this fix will be available on next beta.

- jjchambers - 2008-09-22

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=29366

Here's a link to some work I did on the original XBOX web interface and made it fit the N800 screen.

I haven't done any work on it in a couple months, but it should work pretty well. The cool thing about the original interface is you don't need your TV on if you're just gonna play some music thru your stereo. That's why I started messing with it, so I could get in a pick an internet radio station or CD to play without having to turn my tv on.

I think I've made some minor changes since I last posted so if someone really want it, I'll post my latest version.

J

- Rand Al Thor - 2008-09-22

jjchambers Wrote:http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=29366

Here's a link to some work I did on the original XBOX web interface and made it fit the N800 screen.

I haven't done any work on it in a couple months, but it should work pretty well. The cool thing about the original interface is you don't need your TV on if you're just gonna play some music thru your stereo. That's why I started messing with it, so I could get in a pick an internet radio station or CD to play without having to turn my tv on.

I think I've made some minor changes since I last posted so if someone really want it, I'll post my latest version.

J

Yeah, I have been using yours for quite a while now. It works great for music when I don't want to turn on the projector. I would take the newer version if you got it handy. Cheers.

- jjchambers - 2008-09-23

Cool! Someone's been using it. I was able to fix the text issue so any titles that are longer than the screen just cut off. I never did do anything with the power buttons and the last time I used it the play, stop, pause buttons acted a little funny but maybe it was me. Anyway here it is. Feel free to let me know if something still doesn't work right. It will motivate me to start using it again.

Here's a link to the entire web folder.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=f1df08e6989c3239d2db6fb9a8902bda

J

- umcisou - 2008-09-23

Hi J,

Yes I know your work on the PM3 web interface skin to fit well on N800. Good job.

I think the goal of our project is a bit different : the web interface is made to have a complete control of XBMC (more powerful but more heavy) while the remote touchscreen is made to be a simple and quick control of a XBMC HTPC (or xbox).

But I'm sure we can collaborate.

jjchambers Wrote:The cool thing about the original interface is you don't need your TV on if you're just gonna play some music thru your stereo.
I'm agree with you. And if I didn't plan yet to have in the remote touchscreen support of browsing the video/tv show/picture menu (to keep the remote quick and efficient), I think it could be useful (and power-saving/ecological) to browse and play the music menu without turn on the TV.

- jeepcook - 2008-09-23

Very good thing this wifi remote control !!

I would like to use it to control xbmc. Is there a possibility to show the cover of the album playing, just show the folder.jpg in the album folder.

Thanks

- umcisou - 2008-09-23

jeepcook Wrote:Is there a possibility to show the cover of the album playing, just show the folder.jpg in the album folder.
Thanks

Not at the moment, I'm focusing on improving the usability and on adapting it to smartphones.

But I also want this feature, so I will try to implement it on the future