Kodi Community Forum
Do you think that Team-XBMC should keep developing XBMC for the Xbox? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Kodi related discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Do you think that Team-XBMC should keep developing XBMC for the Xbox? (/showthread.php?tid=37563)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

- jarod71 - 2008-10-16

griffore Wrote:Just retire Xbox support at the release of Atlantis...

Yes, the xbox was where it all started, but it's not going to be where it ends. XBMC is moving on so should everyone else.

It's not like you won't have an awesome media center available to you. You just won't have the latest version. What do you expect, you're running it on a 7 year old piece of hardware.

agreed, sadly i will admit but agreed. if most of the bugs are not xbox specific and most are squashed by the time Atlantis goes gold, it will be a fine and fit end to a great run on xbox. and griffore is right, it will always run on our xbox as it does today as well as all the previous builds out there that are still available. and just because the core xbmc and feature set will no longer be developed does not mean we cannot still write plugins or scripts that work with it. we can still come up with innovative and beautiful interfaces/skins for it as well. we have xbox media companion if and when scrapers ever stop working.

I hope for an occasional maintenance release but if this is it, so be it. It is such a great interface, it will always have a place in my home theater as long as xbox's are available and around.

all the reasons you love xbmc on your xbox will still be here after the last official final build, and I got a feeling it will continue after Atlantis, someone will come up with something new for it, xbox will not go down without a fight. But if no one is capable or up to the task of taking over from jmarshall, then this is what we have which is a lot.

I am forever grateful to the crew that produced this piece of software, not for us but for themselves and then choose to share it with us. They have put up with endless demands and little gratification for doing so.

They have chosen to accommodate so many requests out of the kindness of their hearts even when the requested feature did not benefit them personally.

There is a little bit of all of us in this software, I have proposed several ideas that have made there way into the software thanks to Spiff and a few others.

I have been reading this forum for years, I have watched this software mature and grow far greater than I could have ever imagined. I spend more time reading here than I do actually watching media on my xbox lol. There has been some great discussions here, alot of entertaining drama, and a few sad unfortunate stories as well.

I have donated here and there financially but what I took from here I could never afford to repay.

Just like I read the forums here for 2 years before actually taking the plunge and getting an xbox for the sole purpose for running xbmc, I will continue to read the forums untill I take the plunge and move to a htpc or most likely an apple tv.

I am sure some here can agree the special place this software has in our hearts and our lives, I cannot say how great it is that my son grew up on xbmc, I was able to hand choose content for him to watch, let him have the option to watch it or not, eliminate the concept of commercials and capitalistic pushing of every toy/candy/cereal that is a part of most childrens programming.

My son cannot watch tv with commercials now lol, he hates them! He would rather watch the xbox. I will never be more proud than the day I watched my son at 2 years old jump off the couch, grab the xbox remote and rewind the movie he just watched to start it again. He then placed it next to the xbox and sat back on the couch. I was suprised he figured out how to do it by himself. He just gave me a bemused look when he saw my face, It is so natural to him.

It is the first technology that my wife embraced. She loves listening to streaming music on it, she listens to the little radio station from her hometown in zacatecas, mexico here from chicago, she has all her cd collection available to her with coverart.

I will wrap this up, but I am sure some of you understand. This software has changed lives, impacted lives. this is the legacy the xbmc crew will leave us with. this is more important that the platform the software will run on.

I am excited to watch it grow and move on to bigger and better ideas and platforms. I am excited to know once hardware runs out, we have other options to continue to use this fantastic piece of software.

to the team members of XBMC, present and past, I want to say thank you. I really do appreciate all you have given us.

Thank you.

- griffore - 2008-10-16

BTW, I'm running XBMC on my xbox right now. :p

It will soon be replaced with something capable of playing 1080p and the old green machine will be relegated to an SD television in another room.

- Hack_kid - 2008-10-16

if they could make a way for scapers to be a plugin so we can update it quick and easy then i am all for all other development to end at atlantas as long as all major bugs are squashed. (i know you can update the xml, but isnt there more to it?)

- althekiller - 2008-10-16

Hack_kid Wrote:if they could make a way for scapers to be a plugin so we can update it quick and easy then i am all for all other development to end at atlantas as long as all major bugs are squashed. (i know you can update the xml, but isnt there more to it?)

They're just an xml file in the system dir. There's nothing stopping you from grabbing what's in the branch and replacing the dated versions today.

- Geeba - 2008-10-16

What about some sort of online repository where bits for the Xbox such as scrappers and hopefully other bits could be dropped? Make life a little easier for the non techy Xbox users...

- bobrooney_78 - 2008-10-16

jarod71 Wrote:...
I am excited to watch it grow and move on to bigger and better ideas and platforms. I am excited to know once hardware runs out, we have other options to continue to use this fantastic piece of software.

to the team members of XBMC, present and past, I want to say thank you. I really do appreciate all you have given us.

Thank you.

well said. fully agree. I have been spending also many days here while reading the forums during the last years - starting with the old XBMP forums long, long ago Wink

- althekiller - 2008-10-16

Geeba Wrote:What about some sort of online repository where bits for the Xbox such as scrappers and hopefully other bits could be dropped? Make life a little easier for the non techy Xbox users...

You mean like our subversion repository? You can grab what you want with the web interface on sourceforge or trac. Can't get much more "non-techy" than that.

EDIT: If more discussion on this (scrapers, etc, being available) is required, please start a new thread. We're verging on OT.

- Geeba - 2008-10-20

Will the Xbox be dropped from the forum also... I notice its not on the main webpage as platforms offered?

- Geeba - 2008-10-20

"Try it out yourself to experience the ultimate media center experience on Linux, Mac OS X and Windows. "

- arnova - 2008-10-20

I think the reason it's not on the mainpage is because we cannot offer any binaries for Xbox. I don't think that Xbox will be dropped from the forum. I at least will continue supporting it....

- jarod71 - 2008-10-20

hopefully not, this is my main site, I would be lost without it! xbox-scene is kinda dead these days...

- althekiller - 2008-10-20

Geeba Wrote:"Try it out yourself to experience the ultimate media center experience on Linux, Mac OS X and Windows. "
What you have there is a typo. Note the very first sentence on the home page, "XBMC is an award winning media center application for Linux, Mac OS X, Windows and XBox." and the "supported platforms" icons in the navbar to the right.

- kissiel - 2008-11-02

Hello Everyone.

This is my first post on this forum, although I was been watching it since over a year (when new great home page was built).
First I must say that XBMC is the best multimedia software I've ever used. In the past I was using many players starting with CinemaPlayer or MicroDVD, then Media Portal and ending with XBMC for XBox.
I must say that Media Portal can't compete with XBMC with speed of development, don't mention general speed of the application itself (I know that one good thing is TV Server).
XBMC is simply the best!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you the whole team.
With big concern I've noticed the discussion about ending official development of XBMC for XBox and this is the reason I decided to put few words to the discussion.
One of the XBox' advantages is startup time. The thing what was pissing me off
when I used other OS based players was that you had to wait a minute or more, before watching/listening was possible. I tried many tricks with windows to make this faster (used nLited version of Windows, autlogon, removed shell), but it's sill slower than XBox. I have bad experiences with hibernation or suspend - it simply is not working every time.
XBox has this by design - it has pretty fast startup.
I know that you can now build super fast, optimized PC which can do this, but how much will it cost and how noisy will it be?
XBox will never stop working as long as hardware is operational - with computer OSes
(especially Windows), everything is possible(for example after installing updates).
And here's the next (maybe small) advantage - after few cheap tricks I've silenced my XBox, so it's silent as DVB player or other out of the box devices - I've replaced fan with new one, replaced HDD with 2.5" drive, used new thermopaste for radiator and... the total cost was only 40 EUR.
Also the platform itself ispretty cheap, because now you can buy XBox in quite good condition for 50EUR or less with delivery.
Please tell me where can you buy such cheap PC (90EUR) which will have reasoneable case (I don't say that Xbox' case is pretty, but fits under TV or into cabinet and looks ok)?
I've met friend, who is complete layman in computers and asked me about perfect media center I recommended him XBox with XBMC. When next time I've met him, he was the owner of XBox already.
Personally I run 3 XBoxes at my home and I'm pretty happy.
I was always awaiting for multiroom audio support and I'm afraid the development for this platform will end before it'll be possible:-(.
XBox is also little bit greener than most of regular computers, because power consumption is 50-60W what is not much.

At the end I must admit that for sure in future I'll use probably some XBMC for PC for watching HD content in saloon, but I don't intend to drop the XBoxes in other rooms - they can be used as a cheap media extenders beside main multimedia system.

XBox is great platform - please don't drop it as long as we can buy it or when XBox 360 will be cracked;-)

I regret I can't support the development actively, because of general lack of time and I think my wife would kill me, if I would engaged into new topic;-).
I know it's not easy to maintain this whole software, but just look how many Xbox users is here (look at for example at the pool results).

Regardless of the decision for sure I'll not stop using XBMC to whatever platform which fits my needs and I'll recommend it to my friends.

Kissiel

- Dark_Wizard - 2008-11-02

I too am new here and although I do not have an Xbox I think expanding into new areas are a good thing for this product. From everything I have read and seen (currently running it on Vista 64), this is as others have stated is the best media front end on the market.

Please do not bash me but I do have a suggestion and think it would bring in alot of new members if you can make this work on a PS3 running linux (Ubuntu runs on PS3 and this plugin) similar to what MegaBox does.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Bob

- gabbott - 2008-11-02

Dark_Wizard Wrote:Please do not bash me but I do have a suggestion and think it would bring in alot of new members if you can make this work on a PS3 running linux (Ubuntu runs on PS3 and this plugin) similar to what MegaBox does.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Bob

I believe this has been discussed before and due to xbmc only running on Intel platform is the main reason but if do a search you should find all the info.