Kodi Community Forum
Do you think that Team-XBMC should keep developing XBMC for the Xbox? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Kodi related discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Do you think that Team-XBMC should keep developing XBMC for the Xbox? (/showthread.php?tid=37563)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

- nikiiv - 2009-01-03

Strangely what you buy when buying blue-ray disk.. the right to watch the movie your see fit or the right to watch the movie on a standalone blue-ray or one put in windows machine? Why open source should not be able to play blue-ray?
Nobody is scared of drm, frankly people a scared because they are restricted how to use what they pay for..

- OldOne - 2009-01-04

Well it would be ok to say they stop developing for the Xbox if there
is a device that lets me play "everything" (incl. 1080p flawless),
requires zero administration to get stuff (audio/video etv) running,
boots in 15 seconds, and of course runs xbmc native or through linux(dont have windows, dont need windows).

I been thinking replacing my xbox either, but after reading these forums I havent found something where I would say "thats it". When I read that we need 2x3GHZ to run HD content, having trouble getting the audio output running and setting up such a system does take hours/weekends and 800€ I am
willing to wait until something shows up thats more userfriendly.

I had an HTPC for some time, doing linux for 10 years etc. But i dont want to
spent my free time seting up such a system, so until something shows up, i stay with the old 700Mhz,64MB,42character bitch that still beats it.

so long

- nekrosoft13 - 2009-01-05

althekiller Wrote:Things that need to be considered...

1. Scarcity. MS no longer makes the Xbox, they are becoming difficult to find.
2. Life Span. It is becoming apparent that the average xbox is reaching end of life. Many people I know are seeing failures and anomalies associated with impending hardware failure. This perpetuates point 1.
3. Usefulness. The age of HD is upon us, and we all know that the xbox just isn't going to cut it much longer.
4. Interested Developers. It is hard to remain interested in a platform when your application is being stonewalled by weak hardware disallowing addition of useful features.

great post, 70% of my video library won't even play on XBMC, or won't play well.

It also seems that continual xbox support is keeping XBMC down. If xbox support would be dropped maybe we will see propper GPU acceleration?

Windows, Linux, Mac, all platforms that it need to be support in my opinion.

- digitalhigh - 2009-01-05

nekrosoft13 Wrote:great post, 70% of my video library won't even play on XBMC, or won't play well.

It also seems that continual xbox support is keeping XBMC down. If xbox support would be dropped maybe we will see propper GPU acceleration?

I don't know that the Xbox has anything to do with the lack of GPU acceleration, other than the fact that it can be blamed for the initial lack thereof. The dev's are aware that the current incarnations are lacking in GPU support and there is development underway into fixing that problem...

It's more a matter of "Everybody's doing this in their free time for FREE." This "HD-era" you speak of is still in it's infancy. The format war was only won a few months ago. Expecting the software to just magically know how to decode your HD library right away is a bit far-fetched.

70% of your video library is HD? What were you using to play it before XBMC? And by 70%, do you mean number of titles, or filesize?

Either way...give it time. XBMC will see GPU support eventually. In the meanwhile, check out the video plugin that allows for an external player to work with XBMC. Might be a workaround until that time.

- Geeba - 2009-01-05

nekrosoft13 Wrote:great post, 70% of my video library won't even play on XBMC, or won't play well.

Its got nothing to with the Xbox... Arnova does a merge from time to time for features and fixes he feels are worth adding.. which Xbox users are very greatfull for I'm sure...

digitalhigh Wrote:I don't know that the Xbox has anything to do with the lack of GPU acceleration, other than the fact that it can be blamed for the initial lack thereof. The dev's are aware that the current incarnations are lacking in GPU support and there is development underway into fixing that problem...

It's more a matter of "Everybody's doing this in their free time for FREE." This "HD-era" you speak of is still in it's infancy. The format war was only won a few months ago. Expecting the software to just magically know how to decode your HD library right away is a bit far-fetched.

70% of your video library is HD? What were you using to play it before XBMC? And by 70%, do you mean number of titles, or filesize?

Either way...give it time. XBMC will see GPU support eventually. In the meanwhile, check out the video plugin that allows for an external player to work with XBMC. Might be a workaround until that time.

what does format war have anything to do with this? HD-DVD and Blu-ray both used the same video codec, with just slightly different audio formats. I know that blu-ray support in XBMC is very very very far off with HDCP, AACS and BD+ I don't see XBMC having native BD support anytime soon.

I greatly appreciate all the work everyone is putting in XBMC, I know it is for free. Wouldn't it be better to put more effort into platforms that have some future (win, linux, mac)? Platforms that will not go away, platforms that are readily available, instead of still developing for dead obsolete platform? I had been using XBMC on xbox for very long time, around the time when Atlantis alpha was released I finally switched to windows based XBMC.

And yes majority of my library is HD now, most is 720p with some stuff in 1080p, what do i use for playback? on main rig WMP11 with ffdshow, DXA HW acceleration, or PowerDVD8 Ultra.

I had upgraded my HTPC from AMD 5600+ @ 2.9GHz dual core to AMD 9550x4 @ 2.53GHz quad core. It can handle 1080p perfectly. 2.9GHz dual core couldn't play certain higher bitrate H264 files.

- digitalhigh - 2009-01-05

nekrosoft13 Wrote:what does format war have anything to do with this? HD-DVD and Blu-ray both used the same video codec, with just slightly different audio formats. I know that blu-ray support in XBMC is very very very far off with HDCP, AACS and BD+ I don't see XBMC having native BD support anytime soon.

I greatly appreciate all the work everyone is putting in XBMC, I know it is for free. Wouldn't it be better to put more effort into platforms that have some future (win, linux, mac)? Platforms that will not go away, platforms that are readily available, instead of still developing for dead obsolete platform? I had been using XBMC on xbox for very long time, around the time when Atlantis alpha was released I finally switched to windows based XBMC.

And yes majority of my library is HD now, most is 720p with some stuff in 1080p, what do i use for playback? on main rig WMP11 with ffdshow, DXA HW acceleration, or PowerDVD8 Ultra.

I had upgraded my HTPC from AMD 5600+ @ 2.9GHz dual core to AMD 9550x4 @ 2.53GHz quad core. It can handle 1080p perfectly. 2.9GHz dual core couldn't play certain higher bitrate H264 files.

The focus of XBMC has shifted from Xbox to the "big 3" platforms. XBMC for Xbox is now more of an afterthought. (At least, that's how it appears to me)

I understand that the disc format used to display the HD content is irrelevant...I was more pointing out that HD content itself is still in it's earliest stages, and the recent end of the format war is a sign of this. Personally, I'd rather download my content than buy any kind of content-restricted media. Wait...I do. Wink

- jeth - 2009-01-08

I think the latest version of XBMC for XBOX is enough for Xbox unless a genius can handle Xbox's GPU capability as maximum. But I don't think that will be happened without MS & NVIDIA's information expose.
So I think developing for big3 platform should have more priority then Xbox...
I love Xbox XBMC and will use my box can boot...

- junk - 2009-01-13

Without having read the thread, I'll state my opiniion: No, I don't. To me it seems the requirements for Xbox (concerning both hardware and software) is setting unnecessary limits for the other platforms.

EDIT: Wasn't the whole Team MediaPortal project started due to a developer leaving the XBMC project because of the Xbox's limitations, or have I got that wrong?

- digitalhigh - 2009-01-13

According to mediaportal's site...

Quote:In February 2004 Erwin Beckers (aka. Frodo) left the X-Box Media Center project to start a new project, now known as MediaPortal, that would run on the Microsoft Windows platform and not suffer from the limitations of the X-Box hardware. Initially, existing code was reused from the XBMC-project but after several releases and innumerable feature enhancements there has been almost a complete redesign.

- arnova - 2009-01-14

junk Wrote:Without having read the thread, I'll state my opiniion: No, I don't. To me it seems the requirements for Xbox (concerning both hardware and software) is setting unnecessary limits for the other platforms.

EDIT: Wasn't the whole Team MediaPortal project started due to a developer leaving the XBMC project because of the Xbox's limitations, or have I got that wrong?

Again: this is absolute nonsense. In general: this whole "should we drop Xbox in favor of the other platforms"-discussion is pretty much useless. All development is done in linuxport (which is also used by win32 & macosx). Any *relevant* stuff there is merged/backported to Xbox. This means that any stuff that the Xbox can't handle (because of its hardware limitations) are NOT backported. It's as simple as that.

This will be the last comment on this useless discussion by now, anyone that cares to raddle this crap up again forces me to close this thread, as they probably didn't care about reading any of our previous comments on this....

- kizer - 2009-01-15

Welp I know it doesn't matter either way, but I'll throw it out there.

I bought the Xbox360 because I got tired of trying to play the upgrade war to play the newest and greatest games.

I installed XBMC into my old retired Xbox becuase it works and it works very well. There are no hardware upgrades to make on a constant basis other than storage.

If somebody can point me to a PC based system that does the same thing as an Xbox with the remote and boots up super fast I'll give it a go since the Xbox does lack a few things like web browsing and some other things. However I will cry as I retire my Xbox.

- jeff.van - 2009-01-16

I know about 40 people using XBMC. 39 of those people have an xbox. 1 person is running an AppleTV.

I tried to migrate to a linux box running XBMC, but the bootup time alone was a big downer. I'm sure there are ways to improve that, but I don't really want to make a project out of it... I just want to watch tv.

To me, the XBOX is the simplist and cheapest existing solution. I hope support remains until someone can come up with an off-the-shelf solution that handles HDTV and costs under $200.

- kissiel - 2009-01-18

That's the point. I've wrote long post some pages before about XBox. I understand decision about decreasing support for this platform and I'm very thankful to Arnova to his contribution. Although I'm very sad...
The big problem with other ports are hardware compatibility issues. Before I've discovered XBMC I used MediaPortal. It was nice solution, but even if my computer was not very old at that time, it was sometimes very sluggish. The other thing was stability - sometimes it was crashing and occassionally after installing windows updates some features stopped working (like DVD playback).
I've installed Windows port of XBMC on my notebook and comparing to XBox port is far too unstable. I know that this port doesn't exist as long as XBox one, but I think it's the big problem with shitty drivers or chipsets which will never disappear. It was exacly the same problem as I had with Media Portal.
Gooid ideas are "reference" platform for PC which would be "certified" or recommended to run this software best way. Especially Live version of the software, which I think is the brightest future of this project - it doesn't need licensed OS and it works "out of the box".
Other option is to find console which can replace our good, black, square XBox coffin - I've just found the thread about it:-)