Kodi Community Forum
Do you think that Team-XBMC should keep developing XBMC for the Xbox? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Kodi related discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Do you think that Team-XBMC should keep developing XBMC for the Xbox? (/showthread.php?tid=37563)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

- jarod71 - 2008-10-08

You heard the call. We need a programmer who can step up and merge builds after Atlantis Gold. If no one is interested, then Gold is it. So lets find all the bugs we can and get the most solid stable build we can for our xbox's.

- stokkes - 2008-10-09

I sympathize with all the Xbox owners out there.. in fact, I run XBMC on an old Xbox as a secondary/backup media centre.

But it's been 7 years, the hardware isn't powerful enough and looking towards the future, the Xbox simply cannot compete.

This is the HD age people, time to take out your wallets and buy/build yourselves an HTPC to run the newer builds.

Sometimes you have to say the hell with backwards compatibility and look towards the future. The xbox has served its purpose, but it's time to lay it to rest. Keeping this compatibility will only hamper the true potential of this project in the long run.

- arnova - 2008-10-09

stokkes Wrote:I sympathize with all the Xbox owners out there.. in fact, I run XBMC on an old Xbox as a secondary/backup media centre.

But it's been 7 years, the hardware isn't powerful enough and looking towards the future, the Xbox simply cannot compete.

This is the HD age people, time to take out your wallets and buy/build yourselves an HTPC to run the newer builds.

Sometimes you have to say the hell with backwards compatibility and look towards the future. The xbox has served its purpose, but it's time to lay it to rest. Keeping this compatibility will only hamper the true potential of this project in the long run.

Although HD is available I still don't consider it mainstream yet. Almost all people around me don't have any HD equipement whatsover (maybe a few HD-ready LCD's) and for now (as am I) they are fine with it. In other words: DVD quality (or even MPEG4/ASP quality) is still good enough for a lot of folks out there (which runs perfectly fine on an Xbox).....

So yes, I'm probably still one of the few (maybe even the only one) on the team that hasn't deprecated Xbox yet....

- Pvt_Ryan - 2008-10-09

should have been a multi-choice poll. As I have XBMC on both my xbox & my htpc running linux.

I only retired the xbox this week but I am considering bringing it back due to issues I am having with the liunx/xbmc on the htpc.

- Sle7enUK - 2008-10-09

arnova Wrote:Although HD is available I still don't consider it mainstream yet. Almost all people around me don't have any HD equipement whatsover (maybe a few HD-ready LCD's) and for now (as am I) they are fine with it. In other words: DVD quality (or even MPEG4/ASP quality) is still good enough for a lot of folks out there (which runs perfectly fine on an Xbox).....

Agree with arnova, some people we know have HD ready TVs, most don't, but don't use them to their full potential, it's a matter of choice and what you use the XBox for, we have all CRT TVs and 3 XBox's around the house to play movies (yes and games!, yes they are primarily for the children and not a 40 year old techfreak : ) mainly so it does what we want it to and if development stopped today it probably wouldn't matter (for us).

Some want us to believe we all want or need the latest HD equipment when we don't, the brain can only process so much information that's why you can't distinguish between some resolutions, so how high do you need to go?

I'm typing this on a 6yr old Apple G4, it still does today what we wanted it to do when we bought it, some say ancient, I say functional!

All our XBox's cost £15 (approx $30) from a retailer with a 3 month warranty, a quick soft mod, install XBMC, it does what it says on the tin.

Good enough for me.

Wink

- pike - 2008-10-09

the term "Good Enough" is something that we in Team XBMC aren't familiar with

Then we would have been done after XBMP 1.0

- topfs2 - 2008-10-09

Haha, amen to that pike!

- Bob___ - 2008-10-09

@Sle7enUK

That is crap. So describe me why so many Xbox Users want to go to 720p with their XBMC? Indeed, there are so much Users who have no HDTV but if this is your killer-argument then we can still stick to our C64 and a resolution of 160x120 pixel!

Remember: XBMC runs fine on a 7 years old Xbox. OK. If the development dropped the Xbox who does matter? You can still watch your movies and you can still play your games.

Now XBMC has the chance to become one of the major products for the HD-age/HTPCs.
If you place this poll in a HTPC-Forum you would be surprised how many users uses a HD-TV set, yet.

- arnova - 2008-10-09

Bob___ Wrote:@Sle7enUK

That is crap. So describe me why so many Xbox Users want to go to 720p with their XBMC? Indeed, there are so much Users who have no HDTV but if this is your killer-argument then we can still stick to our C64 and a resolution of 160x120 pixel!

Remember: XBMC runs fine on a 7 years old Xbox. OK. If the development dropped the Xbox who does matter? You can still watch your movies and you can still play your games.

Now XBMC has the chance to become one of the major products for the HD-age/HTPCs.
If you place this poll in a HTPC-Forum you would be surprised how many users uses a HD-TV set, yet.

Well scrapers and such need periodic updating and of course fixing important bugs that may popup. My idea is that XBMC for Xbox should be put in sort of a "maintenance"-mode meaning only bug-fixes get applied and no feature enhancements...

- Bob___ - 2008-10-09

arnova Wrote:My idea is that XBMC for Xbox should be put in sort of a "maintenance"-mode meaning only bug-fixes get applied and no feature enhancements...

Yes, that sounds fine! And on the other hand the development team can concentrate on R&S in new features regarding HD & HTPCs & TV-Integration and so on ...

- jarod71 - 2008-10-09

arnova Wrote:Well scrapers and such need periodic updating and of course fixing important bugs that may popup. My idea is that XBMC for Xbox should be put in sort of a "maintenance"-mode meaning only bug-fixes get applied and no feature enhancements...

I agree with this. I think the team should decide on a definitive feature set. no new features. get as many bugs out of it and call it complete. if things crop up that are major, fix the bug in a maintenance release (every 6 months?), if scrapers break, maybe fix those. I now prefer using the xbmc media companion and .nfo for my movies and tv shows. now, if others want to pick up the torch from jmarshall, cool. if not, it will still do everything it does now which is pretty much all it can do. people can still create skins for it within the confines of the existing skin engine. It will still be one of the best choices you can have in media centers for the home theater.

I agree with arnova, not everone cares about hd. the storage space issue alone is not worth it t me. now, mpeg4 h.264 is nice, but for me, dvd iso and divx/xvid is more than enough for me. I have some 1.4 gb xvid that look stunning on my 42 inch plasma (edtv). if i really love a movie I have it in mpeg 2 dvd iso format.

That being said, I like the idea of moving to apple tv, quiet small and good price point. I am not looking to capture or view live tv at this point. also, I would love to see if xbmc could run on some of the mini atx boards out there.

Xbox is still the cheapest platform to run on tho. I went with xbox in the first place bcuz it was the least hassle. I toyed with a htpc with other software at the time. XBMC was the best out there, It is great that we have so many platforms to run it on now. I look forward to the future but my xbox will be around till i cannot use one anymore...

- waring192 - 2008-10-09

I only bought a original xbox in feb last year but now i have build a htpc for xbmc. I have to much hd content and now that i am using a 720p projector (hd65) rather than a 40" lcd xvid's dont cut the mustard.
The only problem is that the xbmc on the xbox is very stable. Enough to let the mrs use it but with xbmc on linux if it stops working then she wont have the slightest in getting it going again. She has enough trouble with the logitech harmony remote!
For me the real winner would be to have xbmc have its own tv backend and frontend.

- Sle7enUK - 2008-10-09

Bob___ Wrote:@Sle7enUK

Who got out the wrong side of the bed!, as usual with blinkers, they make you interpret what I said to fit your own thinking.

How can I describe to you who wants 720p on their XBox, I'm not them and it's not an argument it's a statement of fact about my own personal use for XBMC, I don't need or want 720p, if you do, good luck! but don't moan on behalf of others, that you don't know, about it.

If you placed a poll who drives a ford on a ford forum then you might be surprised how many do!

XBMC for the XBox is coming to the end of its life cycle, fact! it can only do so much, the devs have already said what they think, it's not the sw but the hardware is the limiting factor.

Lol, doesn't matter what you do with XBMC for the XBox it'll never be good enough for everyone.

Yeah what jarod71 says as well.

Wink

- jarod71 - 2008-10-09

I agree with Sle7enUK, XBMC as is is pretty much good enough for me, that being said, I love where it is going in regards to other platforms. I will be happy to jump to another platform and not have to give up the "xbmc" experience. otherwise, I would have to settle for something less someday, we have all seen the other media player software out there and know it is lacking. I am glad I will have options the day when, not if xbox is not available anymore...

- TechLife - 2008-10-10

After reading the entire thread to date, I've decided to pitch in my 2 cents for what it's worth...

I discovered XBMC after building a HTPC while looking for a cost effective way to extend the content on the server to my master bedroom. I dusted off my XBox that had been taking residence in my closet for quite some time and for exactly $16 had an exceptional media extender. IMHO XBMC on XB is by FAR the best featured, least expensive option for just this purpose. The other media extender options available are waaay too expensive, under featured, and just don't have anywhere near the cool factor. Big Grin

After falling in love with the XBMC interface and features, I now use it on all of the Windoze and Linux boxes in the house. It plays everything I throw at it with no codec nightmares. And with such a sexy, intuitive interface, what could be better than that?

In the interest of seeing such an excellent project continue to evolve, it is, IMO, worth it to shelve support of the XBox as it will only hinder the development on the other platforms and/or cause the new versions to bloat and become problematic in an attempt to maintain backward hardware compatibility. (Can anyone say Vista??)

What we have now on the XBox is damn near perfect for the platform for which it was developed. The key thing to keep in mind here is that it isn't going anywhere. Just like we can still play our old games (like MechAssault Wink) on our XBox, XBMC will still work. That being said, I do STRONGLY agree that IF a periodic update is necessary to fix any bugs or maintain any other functionality contained in what will be the final version of XBMC for XBox it should be done. I don't want anything new, I just want what I have now to work long into the future. Maybe a codec tweak here if there is a new format we are using for video on our pc's that the XBox can't play or a scraper tweak there (one of my favorite features) but I don't see it needing anything else.