Kodi Community Forum
Do you think that Team-XBMC should keep developing XBMC for the Xbox? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Kodi related discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Do you think that Team-XBMC should keep developing XBMC for the Xbox? (/showthread.php?tid=37563)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

- rwparris2 - 2008-10-10

TechLife Wrote:...cause the new versions to bloat...

I don't know how you think maintaining support for xbox would cause bloat, but I'd wager that the very opposite is true...

___

Everyone in this thread seems to be talking about how HiDef and HTPCs are the future.... but I think that is probably irrelevant for the most part.
I would like to know if the xbox ever actually held XBMC back? As in, have the devs ever wanted to implement a feature, then decided against it because it wouldn't function on the xbox?

I completely understand why jmarshall or any other dev for that matter would want to focus their time on adding features and squashing bugs rather than the "boring" job of porting everything from linux to xbox. To me that seems like the real issue of maintaining support, its not xbox is holding back XBMC as a HTPC application, it's that no one wants to do it.

If anyone (especially a developer) can name a feature they want in XBMC but isn't there because it wouldn't work on xbox, I'd love to hear it (web browsers absolutely won't convince me, it's a silly feature to have built in)

Like I said though, I understand why porting to xbox will eventually cease. If not now, eventually. I'd like to see development continue for xbox, and I'll miss having new features for my xbox, but Atlantis already covers all of my needs. I may want more things, but XBMC on the xbox satisfies my personal needs. If I want more, I'll shell out the money and build a real HTPC.

- tslayer - 2008-10-10

Again, it is just a matter of finding some developer that wants to maintain the xbox version and merge the changes.

That's all it takes. Not sure how many times that has to be re-iterated.

- althekiller - 2008-10-10

Until they realize this poll/thread has no bearing what so ever on the decision :p

- Geeba - 2008-10-10

Seems a shame that the voice of alot of forum users falls on deaf ears..... but you guys hold all the strings and pull accordingly which we know and respect that.... like I said earlier if a small bribe to keep Jonathon in pizza and beers to do the odd merge for features the xbox can run (I can still only see HD as the deciding factor which a big percentage of people dont use except TV's) I for one have in the past and would donate again. Seems a shame to wipe 60% of the forums regular vistors off in one and very final blow... Huh

- spiff - 2008-10-10

because we will ofc delete what we have, nuke the source code, exterminate all xboxes and so on. some blow!

- arnova - 2008-10-10

spiff Wrote:because we will ofc delete what we have, nuke the source code, exterminate all xboxes and so on. some blow!

Spiff, it seems like most people don't know about the secret backdoor in XBMC which allows us to remotely kill their Xbox.... Shocked

- spiff - 2008-10-10

aaah. i see our secrat evil cunning plan will succeed!

- Geeba - 2008-10-10

Eeeerrrr... ok... but not the point I was making... what I was trying to say is that Xbox users will still be a part of the comunity and it will be tougher on the people that cant afford Appple TV's and HTPC's at the moment (me for one) when features are added to other ports that the Xbox is very capable off running but arent added...

I'm sure M$ would of thought of that first and probably tried it on the modding community if they could of gotten away with it... Smile

- arnova - 2008-10-10

Geeba Wrote:Eeeerrrr... ok... but not the point I was making... what I was trying to say is that Xbox users will still be a part of the comunity and it will be tougher on the people that cant afford Appple TV's and HTPC's at the moment (me for one) when features are added to other ports that the Xbox is very capable off running but arent added...

I'm sure M$ would of thought of that first and probably tried it on the modding community if they could of gotten away with it... Smile

Your and most of the arguments here about why Xbox development should be continued are (still) valid. The problem is having someone to do it in the team. That's why the title of this topic is somewhat misleading, because even if we wanted, we don't have someone to do it (yet)....

Don't neglect User-friendliness of the hardware! - ding73ding - 2008-10-10

Hi all, I'm a lurker here. Actually not even a regular lurker.

But I have an XBoxMC under each TV at home. About 23-33% of our TV time is channelled via XBoxMC. The one in family room is driving a 42" at 1080i and Dolby 5.1 receiver. We don't play Xbox games any more, it's just 100% XBMC. And happily less than 1% of time is devoted to maintenance. The wife can enjoy it, and soon (despite our deliberate attempt NOT to teach her), our 4-yr old will figure it out. Huge KUDOS to Team XBMC for these achievements.

I'm a busy man, and not as geeky as I used to be. I would be happy to stockpile a bunch of Xbox'es now to prepare for the eventual hardware failure and Xbox scarcity. Or I could bite the bullet, and go for the HTPC. The cost is not an issue, but even a PhD has a hard time figuring it out. And it seems like there are still lots of usability and reliability issue.

OTOH Xbox's little engine that could is getting strained with the H264 and/or mpeg4 files that are becoming common. It's possible to convert them to files that plays on Xbox, it's a hassle but not as bad as the one for setting up and maintaining HTPC. If I keep hearing good things about AppleTV may be I could go for that...

Just long-winded way of say, a model user of XBMC (like me Big Grin) need user-friendly hardware as well as user-friendly software. Xbox already has 90% of the performance (lacking full H264 support) I need and I'm putting up with that performance deficit due to the user-friendliness of the hardware.

- pantherman007 - 2008-10-10

My two cents - draw a line in the sand somewhere after Atlantis (mid 2009?) and drop support for the Xbox for all future releases. A refurb Apple TV unit can be had for under $200 and exceed the specs of the classic Xbox with much less hassle for both developers and end-users (now that the patchsticks are forthcoming).

And that's from a current Xbox user. I just ordered an Apple TV to replace it on my TV with component inputs - 720 capable, smaller, cooler, and quieter.

- Geeba - 2008-10-10

pantherman007 Wrote:My two cents - draw a line in the sand somewhere after Atlantis (mid 2009?) and drop support for the Xbox for all future releases. A refurb Apple TV unit can be had for under $200 and exceed the specs of the classic Xbox with much less hassle for both developers and end-users (now that the patchsticks are forthcoming).

And that's from a current Xbox user. I just ordered an Apple TV to replace it on my TV with component inputs - 720 capable, smaller, cooler, and quieter.

JUST!... performance wise.

And still really expensive anywhere outside the US. over £200 here almost $400!

- althekiller - 2008-10-10

We've drawn our line at Atlantis. Even since this thread was opened there's been no increase in Xbox specific bug reports on trac. The ones that have been created mostly apply to all platforms, or are mislabeled completely. The only thing that's going to save Xbox is someone stepping up to take over.

- arnova - 2008-10-10

pantherman007 Wrote:My two cents - draw a line in the sand somewhere after Atlantis (mid 2009?) and drop support for the Xbox for all future releases. A refurb Apple TV unit can be had for under $200 and exceed the specs of the classic Xbox with much less hassle for both developers and end-users (now that the patchsticks are forthcoming).

You mean quieter than a stock Xbox, I assume ;-) I doubt that an Apple TV is more quiete than my HDD & fan modded Xbox....

- Bob___ - 2008-10-10

arnova Wrote:You mean quieter than a stock Xbox, I assume ;-) I doubt that an Apple TV is more quiete than my HDD & fan modded Xbox....

But i can imagine that a Apple TV solution has a much higher WAF than the Xbox Wink