Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use Hauppauge 45 (or 34) button remote control in XBMC tutorial - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use Hauppauge 45 (or 34) button remote control in XBMC tutorial (/showthread.php?tid=37996)

Pages: 1 2 3

[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use Hauppauge 45 (or 34) button remote control in XBMC tutorial - dhrandy - 2008-09-27

Here is how to add control for the Hauppauge 45 button remote with remote.ini file. I believe this will also work with the 34 button Hauppauge remote but not tested. This is for Windows only.

First you need to locate the remote.ini file in 'C:\Windows' and open it with you text editor of choice. (ie. Notepad) Backup this file.

Scroll down until you get to the following:

Code:
[Applications]
Default=
WinTV Remote=
;Win/TV+=
;Win/TV=
WinTV32=
WinTV32(1)=
WinTV32(2)=
WinTV32(3)=
WinTV32(4)=
WinTV32(5)=
WinTV32(8)=
WinTV32(9)=
WinTV32(10)=
WinTV32(11)=
WinTV32(12)=
FullScreen=
PVRFullScreen=
*task*=
;*suspend*=
EPGdemo=
VTplus=
Create and Receive=
Debug.txt=
hcwGDisplayWindow=
hcwGo=
Windows Media Player=
ActiveMovie Window=

This is where you'll add your application of choice.

For example here is one with some commom added programs:

Code:
[Applications]
Default=
WinTV Remote=
;Win/TV+=
;Win/TV=
WinTV32=
WinTV32(1)=
WinTV32(2)=
WinTV32(3)=
WinTV32(4)=
WinTV32(5)=
WinTV32(8)=
WinTV32(9)=
WinTV32(10)=
WinTV32(11)=
WinTV32(12)=
FullScreen=
PVRFullScreen=
*task*=
;*suspend*=
EPGdemo=
VTplus=
Create and Receive=
Debug.txt=
hcwGDisplayWindow=
hcwGo=
Windows Media Player=
ActiveMovie Window=
Beyond TV=
Meedio=
VeohTV=
Joost=
Zoom Player=
Dream Aquarium=
VLC=
InterVideo WinDVD=

Next you'll need to define your controls. Example:

Code:
[VTplus]
OLD0={ctrl}n0
0={ctrl}n0
1={ctrl}n1
2={ctrl}n2
3={ctrl}n3
4={ctrl}n4
5={ctrl}n5
6={ctrl}n6
7={ctrl}n7
8={ctrl}n8
9={ctrl}n9
OK={enter}
FULLSCREEN={alt}{space}x{alt}-x
CHNLUP={ctrl}{up}
CHNLDOWN={ctrl}{down}
VOLUP={ctrl}{F6}
VOLDOWN={ctrl}i
NAVUP={ctrl}{up}
NAVDOWN={ctrl}{down}
NAVLEFT={ctrl}i
NAVRIGHT={ctrl}{F6}
STOP={ctrl}s
RED={cmd(501)}
GREEN={cmd(502)}
YELLOW={cmd(503)}
BLUE={cmd(504)}
FULLSCREEN={alt}{space}r

To do this just scroll down to the end of the notepad, press 'enter' a couple times and add the program with brackets and add the controls. Here is XBMC for example.

Code:
[XBMC]
0=0
1=1
2=2
3=3
4=4
5=5
6=6
7=7
8=8
9=9
GUIDE=i
GO={home}
NAVUP={UP}
NAVDOWN={DOWN}
NAVLEFT={left}
NAVRIGHT={right}
OK={enter}
BACK={esc}
MENU=c
VOLUP=+
VOLDOWN=-
MUTE={tab}
CHNLUP={pgup}
CHNLDOWN={pgdn}
CHNLPREV=i
REC=r
STOP=x
PAUSE={space}
PLAY=p
REWIND=r
FASTFWD=f
SKIPFWD=.
SKIPREV=,
RED={alt}{tab}

Here is another example.

Code:
[Meedio]
0=0
1=1
2=2
3=3
4=4
5=5
6=6
7=7
8=8
9=9
GRNPOWER={ctrl}{shift}{f1}
VIDEOS={F5}
PICTURES={ctrl}D
MUSIC={f4}
TV={}
RADIO={ctrl}A
GUIDE={F7}
GO={home}
NAVUP={UP}
NAVDOWN={DOWN}
NAVLEFT={left}
NAVRIGHT={right}
OK={enter}
BACK={esc}
MENU=g
VOLUP==
VOLDOWN=-
CHNLUP={pgup}
CHNLDOWN={pgdn}
CHNLPREV=l
MUTE=m
REC=r
STOP=s
PAUSE={space}
PLAY={space}
REWIND={ctrl}{left}
FASTFWD={ctrl}{right}
SKIPFWD={ctrl}{up}
SKIPREV={ctrl}{down}
RED={alt}{tab}
GREEN={ctrl}B
YELLOW={ctrl}C

You can change the keyboard shortcuts to your pleasing. Hope this helps anyone that needs help with Hauppauge remotes with the remote.ini file.

Enjoy!

- jw76 - 2008-09-28

hey thanks for this.

Question : In the above xbmc hauppauge config, which button on the remote (or keyboard) brings up the context menu? I.e if you wish to scan for cover art etc.

jW

- dhrandy - 2008-09-29

jw76 Wrote:hey thanks for this.

Question : In the above xbmc hauppauge config, which button on the remote (or keyboard) brings up the context menu? I.e if you wish to scan for cover art etc.

jW
Default Keyboard Commands - not the remote commands
<arrow keys> - navigate
<page up and down> - scroll up and down
<enter> - select
<esc> - previous menu
<backspace> - go up back (or up) a directory
<space> - pause
<period> - Skip Next
<comma> - Skip Previous
<tab> - Full Screen (goes to menu when video playing)
<backslash> - Full Screen Toggle
<printscreen> = Screen Shot
<minus> - Volume Down
<plus> - Volume Up
<0 - 9> - 0 through 9

p - Play
f - Fast Forward
c - Context menu
r - Rewind
x - Stop
m - Player controls
s - Shutdown menu
i - Info
q - Queue
z - Change aspect ratio

For the config in the first post it would be the menu button. You can change them around to whatever you want.

- blammo585 - 2008-10-08

I copied the settings in to the IRremote.ini file as instructed for the Hauppage remote. However the remote does not work as it should. The arrow keys and the OK button seem to be the only ones working. I can't use the Forward, Back, Stop, Play buttons as it says. What am I doing wrong?

- IncrediClint - 2008-10-08

Handy little app someone made for configuring irremote.ini

http://www.del337ed.com/remoteconfigure/default.aspx

One problem with it is with paths to executables, it messes up if there are spaces in the pathname.

aka...

C:\program files\wintv.exe doesn't work

but

C:\progra~1\wintv.exe does work (manually entered this into the app)

course you could go back and edit those paths in the ini manually yourself too.

Great tool for configuring the buttons and generating everything else you need in irremote.ini though.

I've moved on to Eventghost using the hauppageIR plugin (newest on the eventghost forums). EG has built in profiles for quite a few apps... including xbmc. Check the forums for EG to find out how to get the latest build... the official download hasn't been updated in a while.

- nicebuddy47 - 2009-04-07

copied the settings in to the IRremote.ini file as instructed for the Hauppage remote. However the remote does not work as it should. The arrow keys and the OK button seem to be the only ones working. I can't use the Forward, Back, Stop, Play buttons as it says. What am I doing wrong?.......can anybody help me !!!!!! i just download the xbmc and i m NOT the computer guy.....one of my friend show me the xbmc and i download it....i m totally amazed......but stuck in my hauppaugel remote?

- Drewster - 2009-04-27

All.

If your still having problems (like i did) in getting this too work this may help..

Check your IRremote.ini file in notepad and check to see if there is an entry for [media Center] highly likely if you have Vista or MCE. You must place your [xbmc] entrys above this entry or the default setting for this will override the [xbmc] ones. The only explanation i can give for this is XBMC runs as XBMC Media Center and with that entry above the [xbmc] one it simply overides the [xbmc] ones.

So if you can only use your up,down,left,right and OK with your remote check the above..

Also as stated above the following app is very useful for editing and placing say open wintv on the TV button of these remotes etc..

http://www.del337ed.com/remoteconfigure/default.aspx

Thanks..

Drewster

BTW: XBMC for windows is now my default Media Player and once TV card support in incorported it will be a complete solution..

- ddbjr - 2009-06-06

Drewster Wrote:Check your IRremote.ini file in notepad and check to see if there is an entry for [media Center] highly likely if you have Vista or MCE. You must place your [xbmc] entrys above this entry or the default setting for this will override the [xbmc] ones.

I'm not using Vista or MCE. However, after upgrading to Babylon I was having the exact problem. Your suggestion worked for me.
Thanks for the info!

Hauppauge PVR150 remote control with XBMC for Windows? - jussi - 2009-06-07

Trying to get the remote that came with my PVR 150 to work on XMBC Windows. I tried IR Server but it didn't work. I couldn't find the obc code for my remote to edit the xml file.

Anyone get this to work? Go slow, I'm new to this Big Grin

- jussi - 2009-06-08

Thanks.

- ddbjr - 2009-06-08

jussi Wrote:Trying to get the remote that came with my PVR 150 to work on XBMC Windows. I tried IR Server but it didn't work. I couldn't find the obc code for my remote to edit the xml file.

Anyone get this to work? Go slow, I'm new to this Big Grin

If you have installed WinTV software that comes with the Hauppauage PVR 150, it includes IR software that supports the remote.
The modification specified in the beginning of this post does work with the IR software.

Note: in the Irremote.ini file, dont' forget to add 'XBMC=' in the section the poster identifies in the beginning of this post.

; First item in this section IS always the default app if no others found
[Applications]
Default=
XBMC=
Media Center=
IR Remote=

- jussi - 2009-06-09

Not sure what I'm doing wrong but it's still not working. Do I need to add anything in the XBMC keymap file?

In the Apps section I had

; First item in this section IS always the default app if no others found
[Applications]
Default=
XBMC=
WinTV Remote=
;Win/TV+=

Windows Media Player=
ActiveMovie Window=
Dell Media=
PowerCinema=
ShowShifter - The Home Entertainment Manager=

Then at the bottom I added

[XBMC]
0=0
1=1
2=2
3=3
4=4
5=5
6=6
7=7
8=8
9=9
GUIDE=i
GO={home}
NAVUP={UP}
NAVDOWN={DOWN}
NAVLEFT={left}
NAVRIGHT={right}
OK={enter}
BACK={esc}
MENU=c
VOLUP=+
VOLDOWN=-
MUTE={tab}
CHNLUP={pgup}
CHNLDOWN={pgdn}
CHNLPREV=i
REC=r
STOP=x
PAUSE={space}
PLAY=p
REWIND=r
FASTFWD=f
SKIPFWD=.
SKIPREV=,
RED={alt}{tab}

- ddbjr - 2009-06-09

jussi Wrote:Not sure what I'm doing wrong but it's still not working.

Is the WinTV remote controller software running? I'm using Win XP and in the system tray I can see the icon for this software.

- jussi - 2009-06-09

Yah it is (it's in the sys tray) and actually I'm able to use the remote in another pvr program I'm running. But in that one I had to set it up to work with haup remote in the config which is why I ask if I had to add something in XBMC.

- ddbjr - 2009-06-09

jussi Wrote:Yah it is (it's in the sys tray) and actually I'm able to use the remote in another pvr program I'm running. But in that one I had to set it up to work with haup remote in the config which is why I ask if I had to add something in XBMC.

Did you shutdown IR application (ir.exe) and restart it after modifying the irremote.ini file?