Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO setup Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control to work with XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO setup Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control to work with XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=38333)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

- brett.xbmc - 2011-02-21

cheetah05 Wrote:Thanks brett....CPU utilization should NOT be that high...what are you hardware specs?

ASUS laptop M50Vc
Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 @ 2.27 GHz

CPU usage is down to 13% today.

- cheetah05 - 2011-02-21

brett.xbmc Wrote:ASUS laptop M50Vc
Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 @ 2.27 GHz

CPU usage is down to 13% today.

Hmmm, still not what it should be. 5% maximum is what it should be at. Wonder what is different that's causing the high CPU usage.

- oldpainless - 2011-03-30

cheetah05 Wrote:Hmmm, still not what it should be. 5% maximum is what it should be at. Wonder what is different that's causing the high CPU usage.

Any news on the CPU issues?

Cheers

K

- kukan2 - 2011-05-09

Hibernation function dont work in windows 7 64 bit
SadSadSad

- HyperEscape - 2011-05-25

palmero Wrote:Just a quick update.

I have tested the Logitech PS3 adapter on Mac (Snow Leopard running on a intel iMac), using Remote Buddy.

First test: Using the Sony BD Remote.

The Remote Buddy software pairs the device and recognizes it as a SONY PS3 BD remote. Working flawlessly on XBMC (even changes subtitles and audio stream, aspect ratio... great)

Second test: Using Logitech PS3 adapter.

It is recognizes as a SONY PS3 BD remote. Exactly the same... And it works exactly the same! Plus now I can asign the volume buttons of the remote to control the A/V receiver and another button to change DSP sound...

Conclusions: For a MAC, the Logitech PS3 adapter is like a Sony PS3 BD remote, same in PS3, so it should be the same on Windows... or not?

I only have tested this with Windows 7 64 bits (Home Premium at home, Ultimate at work), and now in a Mac (and of course, with the PS3 itself).

I will test it on XP to see if there is any change... and it is a problem related to W7

Will keep you posted.

Update: Tested on Windows XP, using both the broadcom Stack with the integrated BT (VAIO Laptop) and with a Microsoft Bluetooth stack using a 2 USD dongle from dealextreme...

Both cases, SONY PS3 works fine, but Logitech does not work. It pairs, but after that it does not respond to IR commands....

Any idea?

Thanks!

I exactly have the same idea in my mind. I have a harmony 880 remote and a logitech Ps3 Bluetooth adapter. Although I do have the Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote, i still would like to use Harmony as all in one remote for all the device including LCD TV and Yamaha A/V Receiver.

I am planning to add an HTPC to the setup and would like to control HTPC from the Logitech Harmony. A simple method would be to add usb Microsoft MCE IR receiver and configure it, however just to shelve the extra cost, I also would like to know the possibility which you have asked.

Which specifically is if we add a bluetooth dongle to HTPC and pair the Logitech PS3 BT Adapter with HTPC, then would it receive the IR commands from Harmony 880 remote, and would it translate them over the bluetooth to control the XBMC running on HTPC.

Yeah i know you had luck in Mac OsX Leopard, but I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit and would appreciate if you can update us about any latest findings.

You can also PM me for any replies.

Thanks.

- jb77 - 2011-06-19

An excellent app, although I have a question:

When I press the PS button, can make it load up xbmc?

Thanks

- the_dead_parrot - 2011-06-19

jb77 Wrote:An excellent app, although I have a question:

When I press the PS button, can make it load up xbmc?

Thanks

Yes, the way I do it is add a XBMC shortcut to the desktop. Right click on it, then click properties. In the shortcut box add something like CTRL ALT Z.

Right click the bluetooth program and select configuration. Change the PS button keys to CTRL ALT Z.

Now every time you press the PS key it will start XBMC.

Hope that helps

- jb77 - 2011-06-19

the_dead_parrot Wrote:Yes, the way I do it is add a XBMC shortcut to the desktop. Right click on it, then click properties. In the shortcut box add something like CTRL ALT Z.

Right click the bluetooth program and select configuration. Change the PS button keys to CTRL ALT Z.

Now every time you press the PS key it will start XBMC.

Hope that helps

Thanks, I have tried this and it works once or twice... but then stops working. After that I have to change the shortcut to something else (eg CTRL ALT T) for it to work. This again only works a few times.. and then I have to change the shortcut again...do you have this problem too?

Also does your ps3 remote ever 'lock up'?... e.g if I press 'stop' on the remote, the tv show stops (which is fine) BUT I can't use the remote anymore... the only way to fix this is by pressing the 'left shift' key on my keyboard... does yours do this? :confused2:

- palmero - 2011-06-21

HyperEscape Wrote:I exactly have the same idea in my mind. I have a harmony 880 remote and a logitech Ps3 Bluetooth adapter. Although I do have the Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote, i still would like to use Harmony as all in one remote for all the device including LCD TV and Yamaha A/V Receiver.

I am planning to add an HTPC to the setup and would like to control HTPC from the Logitech Harmony. A simple method would be to add usb Microsoft MCE IR receiver and configure it, however just to shelve the extra cost, I also would like to know the possibility which you have asked.

Which specifically is if we add a bluetooth dongle to HTPC and pair the Logitech PS3 BT Adapter with HTPC, then would it receive the IR commands from Harmony 880 remote, and would it translate them over the bluetooth to control the XBMC running on HTPC.

Yeah i know you had luck in Mac OsX Leopard, but I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit and would appreciate if you can update us about any latest findings.

You can also PM me for any replies.

Thanks.

Sorry I didn't reply before, but I have been kinda busy, and for some reason, my profile don't send me notifications of PM....

I am afraid that I was not able to make the Logitech PS3 bluetooth adapter to work on Windows. Don't know why, made some test to no avail, plus I had a Microsoft MCE keyboard borrowed to a friend that I recovered...

So I use the Harmony with the MCE...

I have the PS3 bluetooth adapter in the box, so I guess I rather give it to a friend (to use it with the PS3) or sell it on ebay (I have 2 units, one for my PS3, one for this experiment...)

Regards.

- lombers - 2011-07-10

Firstly let me just say great app, this works extremely well with XBMC.

In my testing I think the features in the experimental features are great, except it seems to be missing the repeat functionality...

As a result I am using the stable release as I find this useful when navigating the XBMC menus, specifically for the arrows keys when scrolling through the library.

Will this functionality be added to the next experimental release?

Thanks in advance!

David

- tyler - 2011-07-27

Can someone please help me configure the remote for XBMC or share a config file.

I've got the remote paired with my laptop ok but bar the directions and main media buttons, nothing's configured. As I understand it's set for MCE by default.

I'm looking at the PS3 Remote Application Configuration but so far what I tried didn't work. I wanted TRAINGLE to be "right-click" so I made that SHIFT+F10 but it just stops the remote working until I use my mouse in XBMC.

What I want is for the following buttons to work:

1. L/R arrows to skip forward/back smaller amounts.
2. Up/Down to skip forward/back larger amounts (usual XBMC stuff)
EDIT: Scratch these two, they seem to be working.

3. TRIANGLE to act as a right mouse click on video files to bring up the menu with options like queue item, add to favourites, rename/delete etc.

4. MENU to go back to the main menu.

5. ENTER to change aspect ratio in videos.

6. CIRCLE to be the BACK button.

If someone could help with the commands/key presses I need for that, it would be much appreciated.

- jitterjames - 2011-07-27

tyler Wrote:Can someone please help me configure the remote for XBMC or share a config file.

I've got the remote paired with my laptop ok but bar the directions and main media buttons, nothing's configured. As I understand it's set for MCE by default.

I'm looking at the PS3 Remote Application Configuration but so far what I tried didn't work. I wanted TRAINGLE to be "right-click" so I made that SHIFT+F10 but it just stops the remote working until I use my mouse in XBMC.

What I want is for the following buttons to work:

1. L/R arrows to skip forward/back smaller amounts.
2. Up/Down to skip forward/back larger amounts (usual XBMC stuff)

3. TRIANGLE to act as a right mouse click on video files to bring up the menu with options like queue item, add to favourites, rename/delete etc.

4. MENU to go back to the main menu.

5. ENTER to change aspect ratio in videos.

6. CIRCLE to be the BACK button.

If someone could help with the commands/key presses I need for that, it would be much appreciated.

if you want to do this, I think you might be better off using eventghost. It has a great plugin for PS3 remote as input and a great plugin for XBMC control. You can customize it to do whatever you want.

- tyler - 2011-07-28

Will have a look at that but I just realised I was being fairly dumb, checked the XBMC global keyboard settings and have most of it sorted now Blush

Just looking for zoom in/out commands now on pictures. I know they're on 1-9 but would like the separate zoom in/out on something like L1/L2 aswell.

Do you know that key press?

edit: + & - doh. All sorted.

- cheetah05 - 2011-07-30

I have found a way to get the remote to hibernate properly and save battery on all machines now (including 64bit ones!)....check my twitter for the new release soon: https://twitter.com/#!/BenBarrondotCom

- tyler - 2011-07-30

Good news Smile

I am having a problem currently. Whenever I use the media buttons (play/stop/FW etc) the remote stops responding until I double click the XBMC icon again in the taskbar.

I run XBMC in a fullscreen window on my TV and have to double click on the XBMC icon on the laptop screen to 'reactivate' it I guess.

Anyone had this issue?