Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO setup Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control to work with XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO setup Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control to work with XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=38333)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO setup Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control to work with XBMC - aperfectme - 2013-06-07

(2013-06-07, 16:53)chichichi Wrote: So does this remote go to sleep automatically?

Or does it drain the batteries while not in use?

With the last PS3 BluMote version you can set that up.

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO setup Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control to work with XBMC - dazz87 - 2013-06-07

(2013-06-07, 18:01)aperfectme Wrote:
(2013-06-07, 16:53)chichichi Wrote: So does this remote go to sleep automatically?

Mmm isnt 2.03 the latest? cause under setting tab. On mine Hibernation is gray out no way to select it. It said that "it requires admin/UAC elevated privileges" I try running it with out UAC and UAC on default and running it as admin and its still is gray out.

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO setup Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control to work with XBMC - aperfectme - 2013-06-07

(2013-06-07, 18:57)dazz87 Wrote:
(2013-06-07, 18:01)aperfectme Wrote:

Mmm isnt 2.03 the latest? cause under setting tab. On mine Hibernation is gray out no way to select it. It said that "it requires admin/UAC elevated privileges" I try running it with out UAC and UAC on default and running it as admin and its still is gray out.

On this thread go to page 37 and check that user miljbee uploaded
the version 2.0.4 with the hibernation feature.

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO setup Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control to work with XBMC - navigates - 2013-06-08

On 2.0.4, you can setup for hibernation. I've set mine to 2 minutes as my bluetooth almost instantly syncs right back up. the resync is almost instant with the intel nuc. Its been 2 weeks of usage and battery just went down from 100 to 80%. Earlier a set of batteries without hibernation went out in 4 days of usage.

I personally feel this is by far the best remote solution out there.

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO setup Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control to work with XBMC - chichichi - 2013-06-08

Thanks navigates.

I think I'll try this out and hope for the best!

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO setup Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control to work with XBMC - drumcode - 2013-06-08

hi everyone. hope you can help me.

been using ps3blumote now for a long long time together with xbmc. it have been just awsome, and never let me down, both on win7 and now on win8.

But for the last week, something strange has been happening, after about 3 mins the remote disconnects and i have to pull the batteries and insert them again and the remote connects again, this happens all the time now, even when i am using the remote, suddenly it dies and i must pull batteries and re insert them again. Then i works again for a couple of minuts.

i am right now running win 8, and have tried version 2.01, 2.03 and the 2,04 with hibernate, repaired the remote a couple of times, but no changes at all. :-(

please some one, got idea why this suddenly happent? the pc is only used for music and videos with xbmc. complete mediacenter so have not installed any sh.. that could interrupt with bluetooth.

regards Ken

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO setup Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control to work with XBMC - dazz87 - 2013-06-09

Now that im using my remote with my htpc. How the hell do you unpair the remote from the ps3? When I hit the ps button (6 seconds) to shut it down from htpc, it acutally turns on my ps3 upstairs. I search online and all I get is how to r unpair the controller from the console but nothing about the remote. Just annoying that I always now have to shut down my ps3.

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO setup Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control to work with XBMC - aperfectme - 2013-06-09

(2013-06-08, 15:12)drumcode Wrote: hi everyone. hope you can help me.

been using ps3blumote now for a long long time together with xbmc. it have been just awsome, and never let me down, both on win7 and now on win8.

But for the last week, something strange has been happening, after about 3 mins the remote disconnects and i have to pull the batteries and insert them again and the remote connects again, this happens all the time now, even when i am using the remote, suddenly it dies and i must pull batteries and re insert them again. Then i works again for a couple of minuts.

i am right now running win 8, and have tried version 2.01, 2.03 and the 2,04 with hibernate, repaired the remote a couple of times, but no changes at all. :-(

please some one, got idea why this suddenly happent? the pc is only used for music and videos with xbmc. complete mediacenter so have not installed any sh.. that could interrupt with bluetooth.

regards Ken

I had the same problem on W8 and after days of frustration trying to fixit up I decided to migrate to linux mint
now everything works so much better, I now its a more radical solution but you can always try it.
By the way I have done a guide to learn how to use the PS3 BD remote under linux mint.

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO setup Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control to work with XBMC - navigates - 2013-06-11

(2013-06-08, 15:12)drumcode Wrote: hi everyone. hope you can help me.

regards Ken

I had tried this on windows 8 as well. In my case Windows 8 would boot fast but the bluetooth pairing would take about 10 seconds.

Try changing the batteries and try to repair and see. When the battery gets week, you may observe this. I had read this somewhere.
Another thought would be to try another PS3 remote. I had ordered 2 ps3 remotes. and one of them used to pair with my PC instantly and the other took about 3 seconds. I couldn't figure out what may be the cause. The one that pairs instantly is sold directly from Amazon.

Thankfully I had an image of my windows 7 prior to my windows 8 quest. Went back to 7 for now.
Few reasons I went back to Win7 was.

1. Wakeuponlan on windows 8 is implemented differently. You cannot wake up unless you hibernate which isin't a perfect state.
2. The 2 second speed boost noticed with windows 8 is irrelavent as it takes about 10 seconds to get the blumote application working.
3. The Metro interface has netflix which looks good but then again I have netflix on my TV which works just fine. I dont like netflix much.

Sorry couldn't be of much help.

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO setup Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control to work with XBMC - Nyberg - 2013-06-12

(2013-06-09, 03:40)dazz87 Wrote: Now that im using my remote with my htpc. How the hell do you unpair the remote from the ps3? When I hit the ps button (6 seconds) to shut it down from htpc, it acutally turns on my ps3 upstairs. I search online and all I get is how to r unpair the controller from the console but nothing about the remote. Just annoying that I always now have to shut down my ps3.

I had the same problem. I didn't find any way to unpair the remote from the PS3 other than factory reset the PS3, which I ended up doing.

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO setup Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control to work with XBMC - kreeturez - 2013-06-18

(2013-02-27, 17:25)coolasice Wrote:
(2013-02-26, 15:01)TruGMR Wrote:
(2013-02-19, 22:34)coolasice Wrote: which remote are you using? I have the newer one with the integrated IR functions and mine does the same thing... always have to repair when batteries are removed.

I'm using the brand new remote with the IR functions... I have the old chunky as well...I repair on both my vista and win 8 machines after the battery change (2 different ps3 remotes, both new IR) so it just can't be software install problems... I think maybe a setting somewhere? I personally believe it is the best xbmc remote solution, but the repair after the battery change is annoying... my wife refuses to learn how to pair this thing and bugs me on how useless it is...lols...would love to solve this issue...sorry you're experiencing the same problem, but I'm glad it ain't just me...

I think it has to do with the newer ir remotes.. something causing them to loose pairing when batteries are removed.

Yup, same issue here. No bluetooth re-pair required on the old remote when changing batteries; but the new IR-touting model (which is useful for its ability to control a TV as well) requires a re-pair every time. I'm stumped as to why they should be different...

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO setup Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control to work with XBMC - navigates - 2013-06-18

Does it loose pairing with the ps3 as well when the batteries are changed? I guess not. Has anyone tried changing one battery at a time? I'll try it out tonight.

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO setup Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control to work with XBMC - navigates - 2013-06-20

Observations on Battery Usage for Duracell Alkaline with 2 mins to hibernate and daily use.

* Last month I changed the hibernation timeout form the default 3 to 2 mins and the remote battery lasted about 50 days of daily usage.
* The notification of the level of battery is not accurate. I saw 100% for a long time and then 80 to 60 to 40 in about 2 weeks. Post 40, the remote battery gave up.
* Removing the battery required re-sync.

Next Steps

* Change the hibernate to 1 minute. Wish there was a way to make it lower than one. Something like instant as the Intel NUC resyncs in a milli second. you just don't see it. 10 seconds for hibernate would be perfect.

[WINDOWS] HOW-TO setup Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control to work with XBMC - kreeturez - 2013-06-27

(2013-03-04, 16:13)miljbee Wrote: Here is PS3BluMote 2.0.4 :
Download It !

This new release brings hibernation feature. Original features have been left untouched (Except logging !)

It can run while eg is running with the PS3Remote plugin. It won't affect the functionnalities of the PS3Remote plugin.

When PS3BluMote is running, it will receive all the keypress from the remote. Each time it receives a keypress from the remote, it will restart it's internal hibernation timer. Once the hibernation timer expires PS3BluMote will hibernate the remote.
When hibernating the remote, it will disable device connected/disconnected sounds, and restore them when the remote will be reconnected.

The method used to hibernate the remote is the same used in BDRemoteSleep and PS3RemoteSleep. If you are familiar with these tools, you know that this method might take some time (up to 20s). While the remote is being hibernated, neither EG nor PS3Blumote will be able to receive keypress.

To setup PS3BluMote :
If you are upgrading from a previous version, backup your settings before upgrading. The upgrade shouldn't affect them, ... but who knows !
To backup your settings, simply go to the settings screen of PS3BluMote, click the blue link to open the log/settings folder and backup the files you will find here.
Close PS3BluMote (right click in the system tray/Exit)

Extract the content of the archive to a folder
Make sure your remote is paired, working and not hibernated (press any key on it)
Launch PS3BluMote.exe

By default, Hibernation is disabled, because it needs the btAddress of the remote to work.
Open the settings (right click the PS3BluMote icon on the system tray then settings).

On the settings screen, the field BT Address should contain the BTAddress of your remote. If the discovery is still running, the field contains "Searching" and is disabled. In this case wait for the discovery to finish.
If the discovery process returns only one address, The bt address field will auto fill with that address, else, it will be blank, and you will have to use the dropdown to access available addresses.

Once a correct value is set for the BTAddress, the hibernation checkbox will be enabled and you will be able to check it. Once checked, Hibernation is active. If you left the default 3 minutes for the delay, your remote will be hibernated 3 minutes later if you don't press any key on it. The timer restarts to 0 if you change the delay.

Once the remote is hibernated, the Tray icon of the PS3BluMote App becomes light Blue.

Please Note that at the moment, PS3BluMote can work with only one remote at a time.
If you have several remotes connected, use BDRemoteSleep to hibernate them selectively.
If you change the vid/pid, you will have to restart the application.

It has been tested on Win7 x64 with and without the sp1, with the Ms BT Stack and Widcomm.
I only own the old remote so I have no idea of what will happen with the new one.

Full source code available on GitHub

Let me know how it works with your setup !

Can concur that this version, with hibernation active, does an excellent job on extending battery life from the previous 7 days - to many weeks!

Thanks a lot for sharing, miljbee. It also solves an issue I had with the previous version where it'd periodically spike my CPU badly: this doesn't happen anymore (logging-related, I wonder?)

As a result, I've retired my old Eventghost-based interface and am using this exclusively instead.

The PS3 BD remote (and bluetooth in general) really is the way to go (no line of sight requirements; no missed key presses, etc.), and with hibernation working and battery life extended massively as a result, my only prior issue with using it is now solved.

My non-IR BD remote doesn't forget pairing when changing batteries; the IR one (with infrared controls for TVs) does; hence for now, the original non-IR PS3 BD Remote is my recommendation to anyone...

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO setup Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control to work with XBMC - sIRwa2 - 2013-06-27

Good stuff guy's

Tnx miljbee for continuing this i myself moved on from windows to a linux server/xbmc but still feel that the Sony BD remote is one of the better remote out there. The sleep function really was the last grail to concur!

I'll update the first post.