Kodi Community Forum
How to increse the user base of XBMC by incredible number of users! - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Kodi related discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: How to increse the user base of XBMC by incredible number of users! (/showthread.php?tid=39660)

Pages: 1 2

How to increase the user base of XBMC by incredible numbers of users! - X3lectric - 2008-10-29

Im allways full of good ideas and this one is just another one of them and I wish to share it with Pike and the whole xbmc team working so hard to provide us with the best in quality and design regardless of what platform now...

Though I read its not the first time http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=34269&highlight=dell

Right

Idea as you already know almost all Dell laptops have Dell Media Direct you have a little button and boot to this useless partition that doesnt play that many file types anyway... Rubbish I love XBMC, Mean only people that dont know about it dont love it.

SO I though hold on a second... XBMC_linux Live CD/remove media direct/install xbmc on a same partition as Dell Media Direct is and remap the Dell Media Direct Button to boot into XBMC without booting into windows....

Now intead of a piddly Dell media Direct sofware we have a real all media player.

for the ones who are wondering about it here you go

http://www.xps-wiki.com/remapping-dell-mediadirect-button thats the page with comments... see the one he says remapped to boot linux wow... Brilliant.

How to:

http://www.xps-wiki.com/wiki/Remapping_the_Dell_MediaDirect_Button

which already has been half done by hastarin http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=39189&highlight=dell

and all we need now is a XBMC Live CD that installs to that partion and the proper and correct remap done which is already there...

Voila a gozzilion new users...

Thanks you and I expect to read NO feedback on that... and yet no one really seems to care about the XBMC Linux vs Dell, if anyone has done it surely kept the how to details quite secret if this had been done Im sure it would be all over the internet...

I been reading the forums theres no indication anyone has actually using the Dell media direct to boot to a partions with only XBMC Linux theres various posts but not a single one that describes what I suggested, Im not talking about launching XBMC windows version, Im talking about replacing the contenst of the partition completly with XBMC linux instead since that far more likely to work better.

Great that the remaps already been done for the remotes but hey I dont like it dont hate it...

- kernel - 2008-10-29

People still buy Dell? Eek

Good idea... Not sure you'll get as many users as you think, but good idea anyway.

- X3lectric - 2008-10-29

I have the means to ensure I get a lot more user once a proper implementation as been done I promisse I have many interested people that are frustrated with DMD and it many limitations.

- Geeba - 2008-10-29

kernel Wrote:People still buy Dell? Eek

Good idea... Not sure you'll get as many users as you think, but good idea anyway.

Are you kiddin? I just bought fully spec'd XPS laptop... really nice... well made and very powerful...

- X3lectric - 2008-10-30

@ geeba so I suppose you would swap DMD for XBMC in a blink of an EYE or am I wrong to think so?

I have a fully loaded top wack M1730.

Problem: LInux and until ibex is fully released tomorrow I am almost sure that it wont support all hardware to install Linux ubuntu IBE and make use of all harware as well as run XBMC.

Resolution: XBMC_live _cd which is basically a stripped down verision of linux whth all the components XBMC nedds to work is in my mind (yhough Im not a coder a very similar to DMD except with the massive differences.

A) Plays a wider selection of files types specially on the video category where DMD does not play divx or similar

B) DMD is not skinnable

C) XBMC can include support for wifi card or networking DMD cannot do this.

There are many reasons why it is a likely and viable alternative to the poor solution enforced on Dell Users regadless of how powerfull their machines are or not.

Remapping of the DMD button can be done in pretty much resulting in loading XBMC without needing to load windows or linux.

This is my argument and base on which I believe this will work and we can get a massive user base on Dell to switch to XBMC.

While this increse may be gradual there is a chance that it will augment the profile of the great project I have allways believed in and tried to promote whenever possible.

The previous suggestion failed for lack of a doable solution and this is it...

- X3lectric - 2008-10-30

On another though after having a healthy discussion with some member of the team I have decided to commint my own money and company to develop a double solution pain and one free the free one will contain less features and it wont be linux based., the other will be a entended version which will support much more than just playing media. free upgrades for life an $20

in the end you have anoyther idea your for free to give it away for free. Im sure that better... Enjoy I love xbmc but I hate some narrow minded people.

- Geeba - 2008-10-30

I think its a great idea! my button already points to XBMC but only within windows.... if you could make it boot the Live version instead of that utter tosh Dell thinks is any good then I think you would have a great plan to take to Dell...

If it fell on deaf ears with the devs.... then that is a shame as I would bet my bottom dollar Dell would pull their arm off on it!!

- X3lectric - 2008-10-30

Well it wasnt actuallt the main people in charge of that part completly it was only one or two and they hardly code for the Linux project I more than willing to bet one dosnt anyway, pint being is that I still thinks it grate idea and a more simplified skin could be designed as well just for the job and then show Dell tossers how its done...

Things here is not the problem to remap the button to boot to a partition containing xbmc the problem is getting xbmc to accept and load that with that remap.

The response I got is do it yourself and then we will do the installer for you... wtf if I could code I wouldnt need anyones help...

Shame its a massive market to boost profile of xbmc by a a great deal shame its small thinking...

No matter I will start a project myself. Like I said and I now more than ever am determined to make it work, without getting shot down.

- EvilDude - 2008-10-31

The idea of an installer to replace the dell media direct partition sounded good, although I'm not sure what exactly you have decided to do now - I'm having trouble understanding you. You should really try a spell checker, although that won't help me figure out how this is one sentence..

Quote:Well it wasnt actuallt the main people in charge of that part completly it was only one or two and they hardly code for the Linux project I more than willing to bet one dosnt anyway, pint being is that I still thinks it grate idea and a more simplified skin could be designed as well just for the job and then show Dell tossers how its done...

- Jezz_X - 2008-10-31

As I pointed out on the IRC, yes I am one of those "narrow minded" non coders he talks about.

He wants us (the team) to do this for him for free, but after I said we need more info and probably someone with a dell PC to actually try it and make it work. He bitched and said (just as he said above) that if he has to do the work no way he is giving it away for free he will charge people for it.
Could you just imagine how many people XBMC would have using it if we worked the same way. The team has literaly put in 1000's of hours of work of there spare time into XBMC and give it away totally free of charge to anyone and he was complaining that he would have to do a few hours research to make it easier for us or someone else to make a proper installer.

Talk about double standards

- Geeba - 2008-10-31

Ahhhh sorry Jezz... I squiz read the post and the idea of XBMC instead of the Dell Media solution instantly struck me as a good idea... I have a nicely spec'd XPS 1530 and I am willing to have a go at removing the Dell software and load XBMC... I happy to lob it in the car and travel if any of the devs are in the UK and could give me any pointers! (I'm a comms engineer so not ofey with this Sad) I'm happy to contact Dell too!

- fluidman - 2008-10-31

Wouldnt something like that also work as an Asus Express Gate replacement?

- X3lectric - 2008-11-02

First of all I have a dell laptop and that wouldnt be a problem me testing it out I said if yo werent willing to do the work and if I had to pay people to develop another solution intead of XBMC as a direct replacement I wouldnt give it away for free I work for free and never charged a penny but if Im paying coders to do a job that will benifit loads of people you cant expect me to give it away for free.

So regardless if your going to do it or not take on my suggestion or not Im already recruiting help to do one myself that will put DMD to shame and some other as well shame I love xbmc allways have but again I cant code it was just an idea I researched sounded very viable and I just got ripped appart no one asked me JEEZ_X to test anything you and some other just completly blanked me out and made me feel like an idiot for suggesting it.

I still have no beef with any of XBMC team people but give it and be prepared to take it...

Either way what i mam and been working on is more that just a medial player I have all the reserach done specs and hardware lined up waiting for embedded coding to start.

I have also approched google with some other ideas and even Mozzila so far I have been receiving quite positive feedback so while I love XBMC if and when this project goes ahed will require more which I if I use the xbmc source will send some code back to xbmc on other implementations.

This all depends if I have opensource devs it will be free if not and I have to take it out of my pocket for the exact work that needs doing and its a lot trust me more than just an installer I can t afford to give it for free but I wornt rip ppl off either. and yes it will be for every laptop. as much as xmbc could be as well.

- harryzimm - 2008-11-02

Good luck with your your project. I hope you make a lot of money.Rolleyes

- Jezz_X - 2008-11-02

Ahh correction AlTheKiller shut you down I said I didn't think it was a good idea really but told you various ways to go about making it happen easier and quicker.
And if you think one negative and one not really in a casual chat in IRC represents the entire official responce of the whole team your borderline deluded.

Anyway glad you finally took it into your own hands and did it yourself just don't forget if you use XBMC code in anything we are GPL so anything that uses our code must have its source code availble for all to see before any compiled versions are made availible to anyone (same goes for lots of other open source projects)