Kodi Community Forum
[PATCH] LaunchPlayer - External Video Player Launcher (to launch third-party players) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: [PATCH] LaunchPlayer - External Video Player Launcher (to launch third-party players) (/showthread.php?tid=40136)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

- konfoo - 2008-12-04

alienagenda Wrote:is there an SVN build number we can find this in yet?

Not yet.. working on it..

- SlaveUnit - 2008-12-04

greenteagod Wrote:It seems like that pretty much defeats the purpose of even running XBMC. Otherwise loading everything into the WMP library would suffice.

Now if only they'd write XBMC with proper codecs ;-)

Why dont you:
a) Write a new front end yourself with any codec you want

or

b) Shut the fuk up and be grateful we have this free piece of software in the first place. Realize that this is a port from an xbox and it has come a long way to work with other systems. Be grateful that people are working on this software daily for only a voluntary donation. Insulting the devs only does the opposite of what you are looking for. Yes, even with your little gay ;-) wink face, it doesn't help.

or

c) Use Media Portal.

Pretty simple eh?

- Crewone - 2008-12-04

SlaveUnit Wrote:Why dont you:
a) Write a new front end yourself with any codec you want

or

b) Shut the fuk up and be grateful we have this free piece of software in the first place. Realize that this is a port from an xbox and it has come a long way to work with other systems. Be grateful that people are working on this software daily for only a voluntary donation. Insulting the devs only does the opposite of what you are looking for. Yes, even with your little gay ;-) wink face, it doesn't help.

or

c) Use Media Portal.

Pretty simple eh?

Well, no. It is actually quite frustrating!!!

Mediaportal is slow shite. TVSeries sort of works but their movie-management sucks. It really isn't that good except it can use stuff like ffdshow and coreavc or call zoomplayer, which is pretty essential on windows. Even on a 3Ghz C2D.

Now enter XBMC. OMG. This is a HTPC's users wet dream come true!!!! Gorgeous responsive skins, scraping, movies, tv-series, active community, what else do we need eh!? Except.... it can't properly play media. GUN!

Do you realize how utterly frustrating that is!? To have a crap front end that CAN play media and a good front end that CAN'T? I tell you, MediaPortal and XBMC need to get a room and make babies.

So, yes, I *do* realize XBMC has come a long way and that Windows probably isn't their primary concern. But as long as it's just a pretty front end that can't make use of time-tested stuff like CoreAVC, EVR, ReClock and other countless windows codecs/video features, a lot of us will have to stick with MediaPortal or another windows solution. A shame really, because xbmc is so very, very, very promising and good looking....

PS. Sorry for the OT rant. But you asked for it.

- konfoo - 2008-12-04

Crewone Wrote:PS. Sorry for the OT rant. But you asked for it.

Please stay on topic. If you're not going to, please make a separate topic for the whining. If you're going to take the cheap potshots and feel left out because XBMC doesn't clean your laundry and put food in your mouth, and don't want to step up and contribute anything of worth except mindless whining, then just shut the hell up.

- ashlar - 2008-12-04

Crewone Wrote:So, yes, I *do* realize XBMC has come a long way and that Windows probably isn't their primary concern. But as long as it's just a pretty front end that can't make use of time-tested stuff like CoreAVC, EVR, ReClock and other countless windows codecs/video features, a lot of us will have to stick with MediaPortal or another windows solution. A shame really, because xbmc is so very, very, very promising and good looking....

PS. Sorry for the OT rant. But you asked for it.
Crewone, and sorry for OT to konfoo, doesn't it seem a little bit silly to write all this (rant) exactly in the one thread dedicated to the solution you seek? A solution that's working great right now?
I'm still using MediaPortal, but I have *always* used it to launch ZoomPlayer, as MediaPortal still does not support adjusting subtitles delay in real time (which is far, far less acceptable in my humble opinion, considering the time it's been lacking as a feature).
With konfoo's patch XBMC offers exactly the same solution, *plus* all the goodness that you yourself were so apt to recognize.

So, why the rant, really? This will soon be part of standard releases, you'll be able to use it with MPC which is free and has hardware acceleration, the ability to use Reclock and whatever Dshow trick you might wish for. Perfect, no?
In due time XBMC will do better than this, I am sure, I'd bet good money on it. But for now, that has to be enough. Be good. Smile

- Jester - 2008-12-04

konfoo, can I apply your patch to the latest SVN without problem ? (patch file is linked to Rev16207.....)

- Jester - 2008-12-04

ok, i answered my own question in the mean time, the patch doesnt work for the current SVN build (16458) i'm doing the patch manually to fit with the current SVN, if I get this to work i'll upload the new patch to the ticket....

IF being the operative word here Wink

- alienagenda - 2008-12-04

I really hate to ask this so far into this thread, but what is it that people dislike so much with the mplayer in XBMC?

- ashlar - 2008-12-04

alienagenda Wrote:I really hate to ask this so far into this thread, but what is it that people dislike so much with the mplayer in XBMC?
Lack of support for hardware acceleration, lack of performance in h.264 decoding, lack of Reclock-like capabilities.
I think these are the main complaints.

- Crewone - 2008-12-04

alienagenda Wrote:I really hate to ask this so far into this thread, but what is it that people dislike so much with the mplayer in XBMC?

It tears and stutters for 1080p or 720p H264 content. I'm not sure what XBMC does wrong, all I know is that (for example) Zoomplayer + CoreAVC + EVR plays the same content very smooth. It is not a CPU power issue, because we're talking about a 3Ghz+ C2D here. It's a video timing/rendering/vsync issue.

- WiSo - 2008-12-04

guys mplayer isn't used for all ports beside xbox. Linux, Mac and Win32 uses an own developed solution based on ffmpeg.
elupus and CapnBry are working hard to get the jittery and all other visual things done whereas the ffmpeg update done by AreaScout might go in the main svn branch soon.

- SlaveUnit - 2008-12-04

If you have a larger screen and do look closely you will see that ffmpeg does have a less compressed image over CoreAVC (8.5 I believe). I noticed this in a clouds scene on the first Planet Earth episode. OF course I was standign with my head 2 feet from the TV but it was still more compress around the edges of objects.

- ashlar - 2008-12-04

SlaveUnit Wrote:If you have a larger screen and do look closely you will see that ffmpeg does have a less compressed image over CoreAVC (8.5 I believe). I noticed this in a clouds scene on the first Planet Earth episode. OF course I was standign with my head 2 feet from the TV but it was still more compress around the edges of objects.
Are you sure that your CoreAVC is not set to skip deblocking?

- Jester - 2008-12-04

Ok, i've updated the patch to work with the latest SVN (16458)
if somebody (dev's) can test my patch ? that would be nice
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5300

P.S.
I'm doing a test build in a minute for people to try, i'll post it here when done:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=35452&page=27

- ashlar - 2008-12-04

I'll try it for sure tonight.
Thanks!!!