Kodi Community Forum
VDPAU API for Linux released by NVIDIA today - GPU hardware accelerated video decoder - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: VDPAU API for Linux released by NVIDIA today - GPU hardware accelerated video decoder (/showthread.php?tid=40362)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

- motd2k - 2009-02-16

You should be okay - probably as stable as ffmpeg-mt Smile

- kalross - 2009-02-17

Great work so far motd2k. Running my HD files fine. Think I've done something wrong though as it's not playing xvid file (just audio).

K

- mythmaster - 2009-02-17

OK...testing with killa sampla:

In the "CPU Load" frame ->

The 1st peak is non-vdpau (>100 frames dropped -- choppy playback)
The 2nd peak is with vdpau (5 frames dropped -- prolly the 1st 5 as it's a crappy encode -- smooth as a baby's fanny, otherwise)
The 3rd peak is only xbmc (no playback -- just goofing around with settings)
The subsequent couple of spikes are ksnapshot

As you can see, the cpu usage while playing killa sampla with vdpau is negligible.

Everything looks great with the minor exception that the RSS feed isn't as smooth, but I have absolutely no problem with that. (EDIT: Umm...nevermind -- it's working properly now!)

This is with the following specs:

AMD 780G
Phenom 9850 (4 x 2.5 GHz)
4 GB DDR2 800
9300 GS
32-bit Kubuntu Intrepid
XBMC revision 17786

- olympia - 2009-02-17

@motd2k
Thank you for implementing this fantastic feature! Awesome work!

@everybody
Have anyone tried auto-refresh with VDAPU enabled?
The playback is freeze immedietly when refresh rate changed in the very begining, for me at least. Could you guys please test and feedback on this?

- alanwww1 - 2009-02-17

With further testing i have the same issue as Olympia.

- Without the "autorefreshrate" function all x264 videos are fine, no matter what refresh rate i choose.

- With the function on, only the refresh rates work what is set for the default. Any other refresh rate when xbmc has to change, shows a weird ststic mixed up image of previously buffered images, audio is going, subtitles are showing and i can ff, rw, stop playing and get back to menu no problem.

Code:
ERROR:  (VDPAU) Error 2 at DVDVideoCodecFFmpegVDPAU.cpp:711

ERROR:  (VDPAU) Error 3 at DVDVideoCodecFFmpegVDPAU.cpp:711
ERROR:  (VDPAU) Error 3 at DVDVideoCodecFFmpegVDPAU.cpp:758

Here is my full log:

http://pastebin.com/m68c5ea46

- motd2k - 2009-02-17

xrandr 'auto-refresh' rate fix on SVN.
playback of non-VDPAU formats (xvid and whatever) whilst renderer set at 'Auto', or 'VDPAU' should now be fixed too.

- marlboroman1 - 2009-02-17

What are the chances of this making it into the main branch before feature freeze?

- alanwww1 - 2009-02-17

motd2k Wrote:xrandr 'auto-refresh' rate fix on SVN.
playback of non-VDPAU formats (xvid and whatever) whilst renderer set at 'Auto', or 'VDPAU' should now be fixed too.

Man, your are really great. It is insane how fast you code.

- kalross - 2009-02-17

kalross Wrote:Great work so far motd2k. Running my HD files fine. Think I've done something wrong though as it's not playing xvid file (just audio).

K

Build 17789 is playing other files (XVID etc) now also.

Main issue I see is that Library scan causes a segmentation fault and crash. Also, DTS passthrough causes blast of noise when jumping forward or back in timeline (AV receiver switches to PCM briefly decoding the DTS stream as garbage).

Thanks for the hard work. Really appreciate it.

K

- mr.b - 2009-02-17

davilla Wrote:It's a G98 gpu, works like a champ with vdpau.

just for fun - do you happen to have a killawatt or similar power measuring device where you can test power consumption of your atom setup? Trying to decide whether it makes sense to wait for the ion since I need to get some hardware pretty soon.

- nunu - 2009-02-17

at present i use a 3200+ 64 with 9500GT. I can have a device to mesure killawatt. Just for fun.
150-200 W ?

- malloc - 2009-02-17

I believe press have measured the Ion ~30W

- nunu - 2009-02-17

At least, i have compiled xbmc-vdpau (... no comment guys =) )
On an AMD3200+ & 9500GT, the %Cpu is 50% on killa example.
On Blueray H264 (in a .m2ts) => 50% but animation is not smooth

- kalross - 2009-02-18

DVD is crashing XBMC atm.

There's a new SVN with VDPAU hardware deinterlacing.

Compiling now.

Will report back.

- dzenc - 2009-02-18

I'm very excited about VDPAU! Thanks for all your hard work, motd2k!

I just picked up an 8400GS from newegg so I can start playing with this. If all goes well, I might switch out my Apple TV...

motd2k Wrote:Unfortunately the way i'm doing it at the moment, the data is doing a roundtrip GPU->CPU after the decoding and before the presentation by XBMC.

Is this still the case? Do you have a rough idea how much CPU overhead this takes?

Thanks
-Dan