Kodi Community Forum
VDPAU API for Linux released by NVIDIA today - GPU hardware accelerated video decoder - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: VDPAU API for Linux released by NVIDIA today - GPU hardware accelerated video decoder (/showthread.php?tid=40362)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

- spiff - 2009-03-05

2 meters

- volenin - 2009-03-06

Smile - that's fresh. Never heard this one before...

Vlad

- e-bart - 2009-03-06

If someone gets this running on the new Mac Mini (with Ubuntu of course), I'd like to know everything about it!... Tongue

- Antioch - 2009-03-07

Thanks for the hard work, motd2k.

I just found this thread (and read all of it) and I'm excited. I'm a *long* time XBMC xbox user - back from the original XBMP release days that barely played anything (and what it did play, it choked on horribly). Needless to say, like everyone else I've been looking at ways to replace the venerable xbox with an up to date replacement while keeping XBMC. I can't wait to put this in an ION box when they come out.

Unfortunately my nix machine has an 8800GTX and doesn't support VDPAU. Maybe I'll grab a cheap card to test with.

Regardless, thanks for all the hard work. You've made my day. Smile

- nunu - 2009-03-07

are you sure with your GTX VDPAU is not supported. Last release of linux driver (180.35) made 8xxxx supporting VDPAU ? (i have a 8800 GTS512)

- motd2k - 2009-03-07

He's correct afaik - the 8800GTX doesnt have the required hardware... shame cos its still a pretty awesome card (massively overkill for what is required here anyway - pick up a cheapo 9500 or something)

motd

- Antioch - 2009-03-08

Well, your card is based on the G9x core - it is a newer revision. Mine is based on the G80 core and while it has PureVideo HD, the drivers don't seem to support it and the VDPAU API.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDPAU
Quote:Unsupported hardware from the GeForce 8 series includes the 8800GTS 320/640MB editions and the 8800GTX. Later cards based on the G9x series cores eg the 8400GS and the 8800GTS 512mb (G92 core) are supported. Nvidia currently has no plans to introduce support for the unsupported hardware.
The 8800GTX and 8800GTS 312/684 were the first cards released in the 8000 series, so they're older.

Although that article was only making reference to driver 180.06, but I don't think I've seen any notes in the newer driver's changelogs to indicate otherwise.

It is a good card for gaming - but that's what the machine it's in is for, and the CPU can handle 1080p decodes on it's own Wink. I would have liked to get a GPU I can test VDPAU on so that I can gauge it's performance and expected performance on GeForce9400/Atom for myself.

Anyways, we'll see what cheap cards float my way Wink

- Antioch - 2009-03-08

In case anyone is curious, the MythTV folks have put together a pretty good list of what cards work with VDPAU.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU

- nunu - 2009-03-08

oups !! sorry ....

- nunu - 2009-03-08

does some bluray disc with VC-1 has been tested ?

I have only tested with H264 but not VC-1

nunu

- Antioch - 2009-03-08

I don't know how the XBMC backend works, but I don't know that you can test a BluRay disk on linux yet. Correct me if I'm wrong, of course, but I don't think XBMC has bluray decryption built in. I believe if you were on windows you could install AnyDVD which would do the decryption in the background. AFAIK there is nothing like that on Linux - but then again, I've never bothered searching for it.

On another note: has anyone checked their GPU usage while using VDPAU? I'd be curious if the more powerful GPUs are "better" at VDPAU than the weaker ones aren't. That is to say, I wonder if there is any merit to having a GeForce 295 vs. a GeForce Go 7700 for H264/VC-1 decryption.

- nunu - 2009-03-08

Antioch : i will use bluray disc as you described. That's avoid noice while playing the bluray disc too. (do not like mechanics noises .....).

I have tested today VC-1 from bluray source, and it works fine. 10-13% of CPU on an AMD 3200+

GPU accelerated Bluray on XBMC is the fork in Xbox or PS3? - dmidi - 2009-03-10

Antioch Wrote:I don't know how the XBMC backend works, but I don't know that you can test a BluRay disk on linux yet. Correct me if I'm wrong, of course, but I don't think XBMC has bluray decryption built in. I believe if you were on windows you could install AnyDVD which would do the decryption in the background. AFAIK there is nothing like that on Linux - but then again, I've never bothered searching for it.
There's a nice java based app that can decrypt Bluray, but it comes nowhere near to the integration of AnyDVD HD.

It seems that XBMC should be able to playback bluray on windows if AnyDVD HD is installed. However, the ISO container is not yet supported I believe. FFMPEG does support evo however.

Bluray playback is very relevant to the GPU playback argument. As VDPAU and other schemes make bluray playback more feasible on more boxes, it would be a pity to not support bluray - and of course, once you can play it back then you can also archive it!

Given that most of the developers here started out by owning an XBOX, hopefully it isn't heresy to discuss Sony technology. However, it would be cold revenge indeed to support bluray and take away the need for Sony devices like the PS3.

- daveisadork - 2009-03-11

From what I understand, VDPAU is supposed to support MPEG2. But, in my testing of the latest SVN tonight, playing a DVD ISO doesn't use the VDPAU player. Is this supposed to work, planned to work or have I just grossly misunderstood something? x264 works beautifully, which is really the important part...

- pike - 2009-03-11

motd2k disabled dvd playback with vdpau, mostly because else you couldn't use DVD menues due to missing overlay gfx (aka. the cursor) so it was rather hard to navigate menues.

when this problem is resolved, I'm sure vdpau will be used for all Mpeg* content again