Kodi Community Forum
Games Library (Game & Emulator database + launcher) development project, help wanted! - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+---- Forum: RetroPlayer Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=194)
+---- Thread: Games Library (Game & Emulator database + launcher) development project, help wanted! (/showthread.php?tid=40715)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

- leo2 - 2009-07-09

I'm sorry, there won't be any news or new screenshots on this topic soon.
I need help implementing the GUI part of Library Mode, I have no knowledge how to make the "Library Mode" window and navigation work.
greatant1337 helped me with the skin xml files but that's not enough.

- greatant1337 - 2009-07-10

To clarify, leo2 needs someone that can finish coding GUIWindowProgramNav.cpp.

- tiben20 - 2009-07-15

I could help with coding this but i dont really see the way we could find out which .exe in a directory would be the game or what ever the way a source directory would be managed.Example if you want to launch counter-strike source on windows it cant be done directly from the .exe you have too launch steam and launch the app right after. If you already planned that just tell me ill try to build database to make it work

- seedzero - 2009-07-15

tiben20 Wrote:I could help with coding this but i dont really see the way we could find out which .exe in a directory would be the game or what ever the way a source directory would be managed.Example if you want to launch counter-strike source on windows it cant be done directly from the .exe you have too launch steam and launch the app right after. If you already planned that just tell me ill try to build database to make it work

Wouldn't the easiest way be to create shortcuts, or xml files? So you could place these in a source, for example, "PC Games" and have the xml files in that directory. Using windows shortcuts might not be a good idea because it does not allow for cross platform usage.

For roms and the like you would need to identify the emulator to be used. My proposal would be to have an "emulator.xml" file with appropriate command line arguements in with your rom files.

example:

<emulator>Super Nintendo</emulator>
<path>c:\zsnes\zsnes.exe</path>
<arguements>-fullscreen</arguements>
<extensions>.smc, .snes</extensions>

Can't remember the exact commands and extensions, but I think you get the idea.

- TheQuestor - 2009-07-15

tiben20 Wrote:I could help with coding this but i dont really see the way we could find out which .exe in a directory would be the game or what ever the way a source directory would be managed.Example if you want to launch counter-strike source on windows it cant be done directly from the .exe you have too launch steam and launch the app right after. If you already planned that just tell me ill try to build database to make it work

Actually you can launch Steam apps directly.

Example of Team Fortress 2

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 440

But you have to know what each applaunch code is Sad

- greatant1337 - 2009-07-15

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5628
I think this ticket, from earlier in this thread, has a lot of it worked out, perhaps not for the tricky stuff like Steam games, but for things like mame roms. It's just not up to spiffs standards for xbmc and needs to be rearranged a bit.

Sorry if that's not relevant or you've already seen it.

- tiben20 - 2009-07-15

Sorry but i dont really see the point of a game library if you only got some boring games from 1990 in xbmc.
Adding game one by one from a list
The list would have to be a lot of work to be updated but it could do a great job. The list would be an xml containing the games and the way too launch them.
examples with one game
Code:
<GameLibs>
    <team fortress 2>
        <waytogettheapppath>regquery</waytogettheapppath>
        <args>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Valve\Steam\InstallPath</args>
        <argstoolaunch>Steam.exe -applaunch 440</argstoolaunch>
    </team fortress 2>
<GameLibs>
here the installpath key in the regeedit is the path for the steam.exe

- seedzero - 2009-07-16

tiben20 Wrote:Sorry but i dont really see the point of a game library if you only got some boring games from 1990 in xbmc.

Boring? Huh There's plenty of CLASSIC games from that era or earlier. Personally I'm only interested in running emulators, for newer games I've got my 360. But I'm not adverse to being able to run other newer games Big Grin

- rausch101 - 2009-07-16

redtapemedia Wrote:Boring? Huh There's plenty of CLASSIC games from that era or earlier. Personally I'm only interested in running emulators, for newer games I've got my 360. But I'm not adverse to being able to run other newer games Big Grin

I'm in the same boat. When I'm loading up games via XBMC, it's usually classic games from the 90's. I'd be willing to bet that at least 50% of XBMCers that use Games through XBMC use emulators/roms from the 1990's (not to say that they don't also play modern games)

- The-Boxhead - 2009-07-16

Ode to that ! Getting old emus like mame, nes, snes and what not working
within xbmc has been my wet dreams since i ditched the original modded xbox !!

Dont care to much about launching other stuff.

- apanloco - 2009-07-16

I have to chime in now :-)

Please don't forget the Amiga! The only requirement on code I can see is that one game can take multiple discs, and these files will be specified as parameters to the Amiga-emulator executable. And perhaps this requires some stacking support to look nice in the GUI.

Regards

- natethomas - 2009-07-16

Let's keep these threads clean, folks. Unless you are writing something that will actually contribute to the coding of a games section, please post here.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=28953

As always, suggestions are welcome in the other thread.

- spiff - 2009-07-28

i just got an email an hour or two ago from leo212 where he said he doesn't have the time to work on this further. seems you have to cross your fingers that some other game interested people will step up.

- flxfxp - 2009-07-29

I am interested, and specifically charmed with hyperspin frontend:

See a video of it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEgaqXsavYA
Can't we create something similar in python using SDL?

- blittan - 2009-07-29

I know I wouldn't use that, looks cool a few times, but it's not usable.. same thing in USBloader GX for Wii, tried that view for a few times, then switched back to listing.