Kodi Community Forum
AppleTV don't play sound and other issues - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Mac OS X (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+---- Thread: AppleTV don't play sound and other issues (/showthread.php?tid=41253)

AppleTV don't play sound and other issues - wernerdebijl - 2008-11-29

First issue:
I have a ATV 2,3 (but same error on 2,2) connected via HDMI to my receiver. Digital output is on and it works. But when I stop XBMC and try to play music on my atv I don't here a sound. After a reboot it works again, but stops when starting and closing XBMC.

Second issue:
My screen adjustments are not saved when stopping and resarting XBMC. So I need to setup my screen sttings verytime.

Third issue: MOST IMPORTANT ONE
My MKV (720P) are on a network share (connected via USB or FW to my iMac).
I stream them to my AppleTV but none of my MKV files are streamed without a hickup. The MKV files are stored on 7200RPM drives and I have a complete Gigabit network with CAT6 cables. I don't have this issue with MP4 or AVI files. So I expect there are throughput issues to the AppleTV. I think I loose lot's of frames, but the audio (which doesn't hickup) and the subs keep in sync. Anyone else with such an issue?
I hope I can solve this otherwise I need to start converting them again to MP4.

- davilla - 2008-11-29

wernerdebijl Wrote:First issue:
I have a ATV 2,3 (but same error on 2,2) connected via HDMI to my receiver. Digital output is on and it works. But when I stop XBMC and try to play music on my atv I don't here a sound. After a reboot it works again, but stops when starting and closing XBMC.

Second issue:
My screen adjustments are not saved when stopping and resarting XBMC. So I need to setup my screen sttings verytime.

Third issue: MOST IMPORTANT ONE
My MKV (720P) are on a network share (connected via USB or FW to my iMac).
I stream them to my AppleTV but none of my MKV files are streamed without a hickup. The MKV files are stored on 7200RPM drives and I have a complete Gigabit network with CAT6 cables. I don't have this issue with MP4 or AVI files. So I expect there are throughput issues to the AppleTV. I think I loose lot's of frames, but the audio (which doesn't hickup) and the subs keep in sync. Anyone else with such an issue?
I hope I can solve this otherwise I need to start converting them again to MP4.

#1, not a clue, would need to see xbmc.log (pastebin it please)

#2 known issue with the Atlantis release, search the forums for more info

#3 what profile? Use MediaInfo to check. do they play fine as a local file ?

- wernerdebijl - 2008-11-29

1) I will post the log files. Just give me a minute to try to find out how.
2) Good to know. I'll check it. Tnx Wink
3) I have the same issue with every MKV I have. The flow is correct and then all of a sudden there is a small hickup.. this happens a couple times per 30 seconds. It influences my movie experience. Is there a way to change the way things get processed? I prefer to lack the quality if the movie play without hickups.

Anyway, I took the profiles for some movies and here they are:

- 10,000 BC
Matroska 4.11 GiB
1 video stream: AVC
1 audio stream: AC-3

Video stream:
EN, 4536 Kbps, 1280*720 (16/9) at 23,976 fps, AVC

- Goodfellas
Matroska 7,95GiB

EN, 6869 Kbps (7180 Kbps) 1280*720 at 23,976

- Californication (S02E01)
Matroska: 746MiB

EN, 3146 Kbps (3297 Kbps) 1280*720 at 23,976

When I play these files locally I don't have any issue at all. I really do hope you can help me out.

- Guille779 - 2008-11-29

Are you using 802.11n?

Apple TV has a 5Mbps limit for 720p content, in your case Goodfellas won't play very well.

- wernerdebijl - 2008-11-30

Guille779 Wrote:Are you using 802.11n?

Apple TV has a 5Mbps limit for 720p content, in your case Goodfellas won't play very well.

I am not using the wireless option. The Atv is wired to the LAN. But I've tested both.

this evening i have tested all of the MKV's in my library. None are playing without hickups. No

- wernerdebijl - 2008-12-02

Guille779 Wrote:Are you using 802.11n?

OK Goodfellas was a bad example indeed but other 720P movies don't play well neither. Anyone experiencing the same?