Kodi Community Forum
What platform are you running XBMC Media Center on? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Kodi related discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: What platform are you running XBMC Media Center on? (/showthread.php?tid=41845)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

- jarod71 - 2009-12-25

turner3d Wrote:Xbox 1 (w. X3CE + 160GB hdd) connected to HDTV + optical AC3 via hd kit.

I'm fascinated by bleeding-edge tech as much as the next guy, but with a brand new house & a 4-year-old kid, I don't really have the desire to sink the cash into a HTPC whether it's Linux or win32. I realize this is strictly personal preference, but the gadgeteer in me is satisfied by making something do things it wasn't made for (Xbox + XBMC) much more than just picking a media-center app for a system that's designed to be a HTPC.

There are at least a dozen other people I've turned on to the Xbox1 + XBMC combination. Once they realize they can have a media extender for practically nothing by snagging an Xbox on Craig's List for $20-$25, softmodding it (free) & installing XBMC (free), they jump all over it. Why wouldn't they?

Of course I do get frustrated with the lack of horsepower on the Xbox now and then, but I just stay away from MKVs. It does an outstanding job with xvids up to 900+ pixels wide, which covers most of the xvids out there.

There seems to be a growing attitude of "the Xbox is dead - stop beating a dead horse", etc. This may be true for the bleeding-edge enthusiast who has a need to cram every pixel possible onto the screen no matter how much he has to pay for it, but please do not forget the large numbers of us who still use and would like to see continued support for the Xbox 1.
Couldn't have said it better myself....

- digitalhigh - 2009-12-26

What still find odd is that official support for XB1 has been terminated, despite the fact that is has just as large of an install base as linux...putting it in a tie for second.

However, I do not have to develop for XBMC, so I don't have to deal with the logistical side of it by making something back-compatible by over a decade.

- azgul - 2009-12-26

It's installed on Windows right now but on Monday I'll get my Asrock Nettop 330 HT and I'll be using Linux on that - so that's what I voted!

- Bob___ - 2009-12-26

azgul Wrote:It's installed on Windows right now but on Monday I'll get my Asrock Nettop 330 HT and I'll be using Linux on that - so that's what I voted!

And if XBMC would support DXVA on Windows (it's only a matter of time and tiben20 Wink ), what plattform will you use then? Huh

- azgul - 2009-12-26

Bob___ Wrote:And if XBMC would support DXVA on Windows (it's only a matter of time and tiben20 Wink ), what plattform will you use then? Huh
Good question. Well, I've never fooled around with Linux but I reckon it's not that hard after all. I also ordered 4 gb ram for it so running Windows shouldn't be an issue. But I'm guessing Linux uses less processing power as well as memory.

I'll see to it I suppose.

The reason I'm using Windows at the moment is well - it's my desktop I'm using for XBMC.

- revengesrage - 2010-01-13

I've been running xbmc since it was on xbox. After I had trouble with running hd files and I got a new computer I had it running on windows. Recently I've switched to Linux ubuntu, and successfully got it to install. It runs hella sweet on linux. Linux Murders windows.
Thank you XBMC Coders for everything you do!

- MaryAnna - 2010-01-28

Windows at home, Xbox at my friend's house.

- fritzk3 - 2010-01-29

Xbox on one TV, soon to be two.

Also have it installed as an app under Linux (which I have as a flash-drive-based OS) so I can use XBMC from my laptop if I so choose.

- jakster - 2010-01-31

Linux here (Ubuntu, although not my favourite distribution everyone compiles packages for it. Just remove pulseaudio.).

Not having a lot of money, the fact I can solder my own IR receiver and use it with LIRC is a nice touch (Never ever had problems with it after I made it work). Now working on a VGA-to-SCART cable (some patching and compiling of the Intel drivers later and it works really well).

- doug_heath - 2010-02-04

I think Windoze overtaking xbox or nix is flattering to xbmc...I think it shows that xbmc has gone mainstream - useable for the masses rather than just those willing to spend forever configuring something. 15 years ago, I didn't mind spending 2 days getting something like dialup ppp working on early nix only to have it blow up a month later...nowadays i have kids and real work...not a lot of time to mess around with things that don't work quite easily out of the box unless I am AT work getting paid for it Smile...xbmc generally 'just works' now, easy to install, and quite attractive to the average windoze user.

- six_storm - 2010-02-05

Windows 7 Enterprise x86

- GJones - 2010-02-05

doug_heath Wrote:I think Windoze overtaking xbox or nix is flattering to xbmc...I think it shows that xbmc has gone mainstream - useable for the masses rather than just those willing to spend forever configuring something. 15 years ago, I didn't mind spending 2 days getting something like dialup ppp working on early nix only to have it blow up a month later...nowadays i have kids and real work...not a lot of time to mess around with things that don't work quite easily out of the box unless I am AT work getting paid for it Smile...xbmc generally 'just works' now, easy to install, and quite attractive to the average windoze user.

I think it has more to do with the fact that cheap ION boxes generally ship with Windows. Many people assume that the Windows version is on par with the Linux version. Due to driver limitations, it is not. I think it would be good to point that out to people a little more clearly.

- ubuntuf4n - 2010-02-06

i also think that the current ION and the upcoming ION2 units will give the xbmc community a new platform for nice and tiny htpc's.

Full XBMC enjoyment and low costs.

- GJones - 2010-02-08

ubuntuf4n Wrote:i also think that the current ION and the upcoming ION2 units will give the xbmc community a new platform for nice and tiny htpc's.

Full XBMC enjoyment and low costs.

But the performance difference between Linux and Windows on the same hardware is drastic. I cannot overstate how much of a difference there is. Windows currently does not take advantage of the ION boards in a productive way.

- mellowd - 2010-02-08

xbmc live installed on an Acer Revo 3600. Works a treat