Kodi Community Forum
What platform are you running XBMC Media Center on? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Kodi related discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: What platform are you running XBMC Media Center on? (/showthread.php?tid=41845)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Mac Mini's - MSMoney - 2010-02-09

CoolI have been running XBMC since it came for the Xbox. Just retired the two Xbox's last year and installed Babylon now Camalot on two Mac Mini's (C2D 2.25 w/4Gb OSX SL) one for the bedroom and one for family room, mainly because they are extremely quiet Smile, very responsive to scrapping and scrolling Movies/TV and can play the 720P/1080P mkv's (at least 98% without objectionable stutters). I am waiting for Crystal HD drives to mature, before sacificing my Mini's WiFi mini-pci slot. I shut down the Snap Server (too much noise and power), currently hooked up 4@2TB usb drives to family room Mac Mini and shared over Gigabit Ethernet. Now the wife is happy with all her "Italian" TV shows and movies available in both rooms. Plus the Mini's are much faster at viewing digital photographs on the big screen, than my old Xbox. And I agree with others that it is nice to still be able run XBMC on the old Xbox platform but Apple/PC platforms are the way forward.Wink

I decided against using XBMC for music (did not want have a 60" plasma on for music selection) and used an old IBM T42 Thinkpad with I-tunes hooked directly to the stereo as a GUI front end since it closes down to less than an inch tall and has 15in TFT display.Nod

My System - Bigfishnz - 2010-04-12

My System is.....

I have a dedicated laptop in my lounge ( the laptop is mounted in the wall and cant be seen) its running windows 7 with XBMC with a external 2TB storage with over 1000 DVDs, Blu-rays, Music, pictures and we also use the weather function, all this is cabled to our 50inch FullHD tv via HDMI. We have the whole system on a network so our TV in our room gets to stream all the media from the 2TB in the lounge thru XBMC (we have a small desktop behind the tv with windows 7 & XBMC). We have also just got a macbook and loaded XBMC which also is linked to the network and gets all the media from the 2TB storage. So all computers in our house gets there media from one source.

We are also using EMM and i might say that playing with HTPC systems for a long time this little program is great and should not be missed. Its very easy to get fan art, cover art and change any movie info you need.

We are using the transparency skin ( but i am waiting for more info on the Noir skin when the poor chap that was lumbered with the project can find some help - Noir is looking great by the way...) with the dvd/blu-ray mod so all our cover art has a standard dvd or blu-ray depending on the movie sources quality ( EMM is a perfect program to make this mod work). The skin has also been modified to our personal touch with different backgrounds haha.

As for remotes we use hippo app on the iphone. Its a great app (even tho is $6) for loading more then one pc up on.

Well thats a very small rundown and there are some people on here with some great sounding set-ups....well done.

If any newbies to xbmc or HTPC have any questions lm more then happy to help but please note lm not a developer just a movie geek with system setup geek.

Thanks & Enjoy Nerd

- ddalley - 2010-05-09

Of course, life isn't so neat and tidy as just picking just one install.

I have XBMC/Windows working well; I've tried to get the XBMC/distribution working - nope; XBMC/Linux works but not as I want it to work - yet.

My external DVD player isn't recognised, so I can't install it that way and I haven't found a way to install from the flash-memory stick yet - I can't find the installer, it just boots XBMC.

- madshaun1984 - 2010-05-14

I'm running it on a ps3, its a bit slow, but working on speeding it up Wink

- frumpy_uk - 2010-05-14

madshaun1984 Wrote:i'm running it on a ps3, its a bit slow, but working on speeding it up Wink

lol

- madshaun1984 - 2010-05-14

frumpy_uk Wrote:lol

Na seriously, I am Wink http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnhcZGw7z3I

- andremosfet - 2010-05-18

I use XBMC PVR-Testing 2 on Archlinux with vdr 1.7.14 and vnsi-server plugin...

- philw132 - 2010-06-12

Running XBMC 9.11 on Kubuntu 10.04 (LINUX) on a HTPC.

specs:
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 140W Quad-Core Processor

Motherboard: ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard

Memory: Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1800 (PC3 14400)

Video Card: ASUS ENGTS250 DK/DI/1G GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Only complant i have is that i cant figure out how to get my nMEDIAPC PRO-LCD Media Center Programmable LCD to work on linux, not a fault of XBMC, but if anyone has any clue on this send me a private message.

yes this htpc is overkill, but i use it as a gaming system, music & movies, wish XBMC had the ability to use my WINTV PVR-500 Card to watch tv. Linux sees it, i can even use it on VideoLAN player but not in XBMC.

never had a days problem with it. infact i have another retired htpc box that i have in the guestroom that couldnt even boot windows MCE.. it boots kubuntu/xbmc and runs flawlessly.

- Killerc - 2010-07-20

philw132 Wrote:wish XBMC had the ability to use my WINTV PVR-500 Card to watch tv. Linux sees it, i can even use it on VideoLAN player but not in XBMC.

Slightly longwinded process for what your trying to do but you could always install mythTV as XBMC supports this out the box with the:
Code:
myth://username:[email protected]

Documented in more detail here:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=MythTV#Setup_in_XBMC

Killer

- g0pkh - 2010-07-26

The lounge based system is a Zotac ION minitx system, running a
minimal karmic and 9.11 live system.

I also have a similar ION system as a test box which is running whatever flavour of OS and whatever version of XBMC I care to try next Wink

I daren't trash the main system with upgrades until I am happy with the test box. Nod

Pete

- korser - 2010-07-27

linux - ubuntu 10.04 on a custom PC

- SuneMan - 2010-08-02

Modded _numerous_ of Xboxes for "friends and family" over the years and introduced hundreds to XBMC. Made the move to Win7 on a Zotac the other day to get HD on my 50".
But it feels a bit weird, because I simply LOVE the quickness gui-wise of the Xbox, but i really need my HD-fix. I love windows, but I also use Mac at work, but I can't have any lag on my mediabox! So I really hope my Zotac W7 will work great!

Been waiting too long for a proper "official" solution from Microsoft or any other big supplier. Windows MC simply sucks donkey balls!

My setup:
1 Zotac with 2GB RAM and 250GB HD.
1 Xbox 1 with 250GB HD
4 laptops (packard bell, hp, dell and asus eee)
1 workstation with aprox 2.5TB hd where I store all my data and all my computers can access (the heart of the system).
Xbox 360 simply for gaming.

With GREAT help (thank you mr. search function!!) from this forum I have set my Zotac up with a X10 MCE remote that came with my Packard Bell via eventghost and xbmcrepeater. Works great but I have a bit more tweaking to do! But that's easy and fun. I have also installed Spotify and iTunes, but having a bit of trouble getting to control those two with the remote. I might buy a minikeyboard to help me with that.

I would love to set my Zotac up with a bittorrent client and TED, but I am unsure if that is wise... Are any of you guys doing that?

Regards from sunny NorwaySmile
Thanks for an EXCELLENT product!!

- flinchme - 2010-08-07

I want to thank the team at xbmc and the people that contributed to this app. I just started with xbmc a week ago and i am loving it.

Currently running xbmc on my home theater under win64 enterprise, Playon as media server broadcasting, with sabnzbd server running. wii remote connect , everything smooth. (yes i had to show this off a bit because it was incredible Smile )

1st tv's is old xbox with xbmc running,
2nd tv has wii connecting to playon using upnp
3rd tv with old windows tv on xbmc

is there a section where people show off their setup so i can maybe try out? i kind of feel this setup can be greatly improved. i wish i knew linux!!

acer revo 3610 - hkeiner - 2010-08-10

Acer Revo 3610 and Windows 7 32bit. Works good for me. Can't compare with other setups as I have not tried.

- clysher - 2010-08-29

Just wanted to say that I have an xbox with xbmc 9.11 on it, a gaming/htpc rig on the same tv running Dharma in Windows 7, and an Aspire revo running something in between Camelot and Dharma under Ubuntu 10.04. Also using XBMC Remote app on iPhone, and use the web interface to play things at home when someone can't find out where a video is. So XBMC is a fairly regular part of my computing life. I even use it on my laptop for my music library, with Windows 7.