Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Hulu (Video) Plugin for XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Video Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=154)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Hulu (Video) Plugin for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=42041)

- JeffElkins - 2008-12-22

Arias Wrote:same for me, but most often it just doesn't happened anything at all when its going to start buffering.

(I live in Sweden)

I'm in the US and Hulu works fine from my browser.

- kreach - 2008-12-22

zoltar12 Wrote:The ;.international=false in shows urls such as 30 Rock, cause a bug in the rmtp library. I am submitting a bug, so hopefully the next release will have the fix.

Ticket for the fix, with the code. http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5492 This may take some time to make it into the next build, so you may want to get the latest from svn and compile you own.
So you have to manually include zoltar12's patch and compile your own build.

- rwparris2 - 2008-12-22

I posted an xbox build with zoltar's patch earlier in the thread, if that is what you're looking for kreach.

- JeffElkins - 2008-12-22

JeffElkins Wrote:I'm in the US and Hulu works fine from my browser.

Is anyone using this plugin with Ubuntu 8.04?

- killyourscene - 2008-12-23

im in canada and i need this to work cause im lazy! there isnt anyway to setup a proxy for xbox??

- sipart - 2008-12-23

killyourscene Wrote:im in canada and i need this to work cause im lazy! there isnt anyway to setup a proxy for xbox??

Check here to set proxy. Always check the XBMC manual- very comprehensive and useful.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Network_Settings

Cheers

- Temhil - 2008-12-23

The best for a such nice plugin like that would be to add the support of a proxy in it.
I did something similar once and it works well, but that implies coding in the plugin.
The solution of setting the proxy for XBMC is so so (at least for me Smile), because if you have another script or plugin only availble in a country you will spend time to change it on XBMC all the time, that the reason why having in in the conf of the plugin would be great and very much appreicated Big Grin

Here is a short example (porbably there are better ways to do it) of waht I did at the time:
Code:
def loadVideo(self, videoPage):
        print "getVideoURL - videoPage = %s"%videoPage
        opener              = None
        videoUrl            = ""
        videoContainerUrl   = ""
        proxy_address       = self.cfgMgr.getProxy()

if proxy_address == "":
            print "NO proxy defined"
            # create opener
            opener = urllib2.build_opener()
        else:
            print "proxy DEFINED"
            print proxy_address

# create the proxy handler
            proxy_handler = urllib2.ProxyHandler({'http':proxy_address})

# create opener
            opener = urllib2.build_opener(proxy_handler)

# install the opener
        urllib2.install_opener(opener)

# Get the Web page with the video url container link
        req=urllib2.Request(videoPage)
        videoDoc=urllib2.urlopen(req).read()
There is also some code to get the proxy address form a conf file if someone is interested.

- killyourscene - 2008-12-24

no luck getting this to work with a proxy (one located in the US). it actually flakes out even earlier on. i can't even see an episode list with a proxy enabled.

i live in canada and i think we need to just merge countries already....

- br00tal - 2008-12-24

I'm getting a list index out of range error.

Here's from my log:

Code:
10:53:46 M: 38961152  NOTICE: -->Python Initialized<--
10:53:46 M: 38940672  NOTICE:
10:53:49 M: 34697216  NOTICE: Traceback (most recent call last):
10:53:49 M: 34697216  NOTICE:   File "Q:\scripts\Hulu\default.py", line 28, in ?
10:53:49 M: 34697216  NOTICE:
10:53:49 M: 34676736  NOTICE: D_HANDLE    = sys.argv[1]
10:53:49 M: 34676736  NOTICE: IndexError
10:53:49 M: 34697216  NOTICE: :
10:53:49 M: 34697216  NOTICE: list index out of range
10:53:49 M: 34697216  NOTICE:
10:53:49 M: 34697216   ERROR: Scriptresult: Error
10:53:49 M: 35221504  NOTICE:
10:53:49 M: 35221504  NOTICE:

I'm not familiar with scripting in XBMC, so I don't know what sys.argv[] even is or does. Any one else with this issue?

- Temhil - 2008-12-25

Hi,

Someone asked me to post the code I was talking about for the proxy, here is the google code page of the plugin: http://code.google.com/p/passion-xbmc/source/browse/trunk/Plugins/artePLUS7/default.py
If you have any questions, just ask! Smile

I started to look at integrate proxy support to this nice plugin, I am pretty interested since I am not in the US.
I did some progress, but I still don't have it working, I didn't get a chance to spend to much time on it.
If any one has the IP of a free proxy which is pretty good and fast, it would be nice and easier for my tests (if you don't want to post it here please sent it by MP). I have one bit it is very very slow and does not seems to work all the time Sad.
I am not sure if it will work, but let give it a try! My main concern is for the video itself, if we have to stream it via a proxy, performance risk to be very very poor, or even it could not work, but let's see!

Merry Christmas to all of you!

- pre1014 - 2008-12-25

Thanks, checking this out now! Can't wait to see this blow up!

- philipacentaur - 2008-12-26

I made a quick and dirty modification using one or several of the scripts posted here as a foundation/for spare parts. I am not too familiar with Python, but I've managed to make it do what I want without much fuss -- sorry for the ugly code.

HERE - > http://www.mediafire.com/?cgkzyjj0ntm

It scrapes TV Shows and Movies from the Hulu site, and reformats the episode names of TV shows to the "Show Name - XXxXX - Episode Title" format so they sort nicely and clips are easier to distinguish from full episodes.

Thanks again to everyone who has put work into this. I look forward to seeing whatever better versions other people are probably working on.

- BlueCop - 2008-12-26

Thanks for everyone's work on this script. it is a dream come true for me.
I don't know python but i do know a little about ripping hulu videos.

I have been saving the 480p streams h264/aac flv files and using ffmpeg to remux to mkv. There used to be a bug in ffmpeg i submitted that wouldn't allow the video to be remuxed but that is now fixed in the newer svns.

I also save the smi subtitles and chapter points to mux in with the files. I convert the smi files to srt using subtitle workshop.

well anyway more to the point. I have some feature suggestions that i would like to make. I hope i don't sound demanding just some stuff i would like to see implemented if possible. I am not sure what would be script side and what would be xbmc side. so i will try to put those in the right places once i do know. again thanks for all the great work.

1. support for 480p(h264/aac) streams. Its really 640x480 for 4x3 material and 720x400 for 16x9 material.
2. support for displaying the smi subtitles
3. use of the chapter marks to skip through the episodes(really just commercial break marks)
4. being able to resume stopped videos(maybe a recently played list)
5. an option to play commercials for the videos(we all want to be able to support hulu right. i love the service and don't want it to disappear)
6. ability to save the streams to your harddisk

I am reading up on some python now and perhaps i can get some of these working myself. i know mplayer supports smi subtitles on the xbox version of xbmc so i don't think that will be much of an issue. I am just not sure about how to implement much of this and perhaps others do. I will do my best to learn and see what is currently possible through the scripting.

Edit: i forgot to mention that xbmc doesn't like to play the saved flv files containing h264/aac so i know that will be an issue but i think if they port the new svns or mplayer to xbmc then it would work because the current mplayers do support it now. I am not requesting this just saying that i think that will be in the realm of xbmc developers and not the script makers. It will play the remuxed mkv files containing the same video and audio though.

also if i can help in anyway on how to scrape the smi subtitles or chapter marks i will help but i think the people here are probably knowledgeable enough to have already figured that out.

Great work! thanks again to all involved

Edit2: I have found that you can play h264/aac in an flv file if you open with dvdplayer instead of mplayer. i thought this information might be useful.

- timdog82001 - 2008-12-27

BlueCop Wrote:1. support for 480p(h264/aac) streams. Its really 640x480 for 4x3 material and 720x400 for 16x9 material.
2. support for displaying the smi subtitles
3. use of the chapter marks to skip through the episodes(really just commercial break marks)
4. being able to resume stopped videos(maybe a recently played list)
5. an option to play commercials for the videos(we all want to be able to support hulu right. i love the service and don't want it to disappear)
6. ability to save the streams to your harddisk

I'd like to second these requests, especially to be able to resume stopped videos. I've found that trying to skip forward or backward screws up the playback, and you have to start the video over again. Fastforwarding and rewinding as well as pausing for too long also have this effect. As we speak, I am playing the first 40 minutes of a movie on mute till I get to where I was, because i had to start it over again.

I also think it might be nice to be able to support hulu with ads. Not that I enjoy the ads...but I'd rather watch a few ads than have hulu finding ways to block us.

- efi4eye - 2008-12-27

I just downloaded the plugin and it's great! One thing though, how do I get it to scrape for more shows? I'm pretty new at this so some basic help would be really appreciated.

EDIT: Figured it out, should have read the first post better!