Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] MythBox for XBMC - a MythTV Front-end Python Script for XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] MythBox for XBMC - a MythTV Front-end Python Script for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=43115)

- analogue - 2011-01-08

protonchris Wrote:I am running mythbox 1.0.0 on the latest release of xbmc. Everything works well except for commercial skipping and bookmarking. I am not sure if the problem is mythbox or my mythtv (mythbuntu 10.04) backend (recordings are mounted via nfs on my xbmc box), but all of my recordings list commercial breaks as none. How would I go about debugging this issue?

Also, I am running into the following error in my mythbox.log:
Code:
ERROR | mythbox.ui | player.py | MainThread | Line 252 | _saveLastPositionAsBookmark catchall
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/chris/.xbmc/addons/script.mythbox/resources/src/mythbox/ui/player.py", line 250, in _saveLastPositionAsBookmark
    self._program.setBookmark(lastPos)
  File "<string>", line 1, in <lambda>
  File "/home/chris/.xbmc/addons/script.mythbox/resources/src/mythbox/mythtv/conn.py", line 122, in inject_conn
    result = func(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/home/chris/.xbmc/addons/script.mythbox/resources/src/mythbox/mythtv/domain.py", line 895, in setBookmark
    self.conn().setBookmark(self, seconds2frames(seconds, self.getFrameRate()))
  File "<string>", line 1, in <lambda>
  File "/home/chris/.xbmc/addons/script.mythbox/resources/src/mythbox/util.py", line 337, in timed
    return func(*args, **kw)
  File "/home/chris/.xbmc/addons/script.mythbox/resources/src/mythbox/mythtv/conn.py", line 873, in setBookmark
    raise ServerException(
ServerException: Failed to save position in program 'Conan' to frame 620. Server response: FAILED

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris.

Not enough info to come to any conclusions. Turn on debug in MythBox and attach your xbmc.log and your backend log.

- analogue - 2011-01-08

andcor Wrote:Mybe I should have written that I use the 0.23 version of mythtv. Is it Dharma that is causing the problems?

Looks like your can't watch livetv in XBMC (Mythbox just uses XBMC's built-in support via the myth:// url scheme for liveTV). Would need your backend logs to further diagnose.

- prupert - 2011-01-08

I hope this isn't too off topic, but I wondered if you knew the plans for PVR in XBMC. I know there is the pvrtesting branching and XBMC is working to an extent with TVdeadhead (or whatever it is called) and there has been some work on mythTV support as well. The wiki is, as usual, rather cryptic about the plans, as are the forum posts on the topic.

I was wondering if you know what the plans are in relation to native mythTV support? Personally, your plugin provides all the functionality I would possibly want in relation to integrating XBMC with mythTV (other than the myth:// not supporting 0.24 mythtv), I just can't see the point of the pvrtesting any more!!

- fiveisalive - 2011-01-09

prupert Wrote:I hope this isn't too off topic, but I wondered if you knew the plans for PVR in XBMC. I know there is the pvrtesting branching and XBMC is working to an extent with TVdeadhead (or whatever it is called) and there has been some work on mythTV support as well. The wiki is, as usual, rather cryptic about the plans, as are the forum posts on the topic.

The MythTV support is now being actively worked upon, see the forum post here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=685785#post685785

development is now happening in github, not in the old svn pvr-testing2 branch with the switch to git in main xbmc post-Dharma. I guess they forgot to update the wiki with the latest.

Quote:I was wondering if you know what the plans are in relation to native mythTV support? Personally, your plugin provides all the functionality I would possibly want in relation to integrating XBMC with mythTV (other than the myth:// not supporting 0.24 mythtv), I just can't see the point of the pvrtesting any more!!

Mythbox is great and does a great job (it's useable enough for me to be able to avoid mythtvfrontend for all but the most obscure configuration tasks). But having native support in xbmc-proper will be a good thing ultimately because it means that it will function in the same way as the rest of the UI and be skinnable. Currently Mythbox functions more like a separate program and only looks like it's integrated when using the default Confluence skin. Also there will be more developers looking over the code now that it's part of xbmc proper, rather than having to rely only on analogue.

I believe that analogue himself did check in with the pvr developers to see whether he could help with the mythtv pvr addon, so he may be on board too!

- prupert - 2011-01-09

Thanks for the detailed and informative reply.

And short circuit is an awesome film, I cry every time Wink

- mongrol - 2011-01-11

Hi folks,
A note of thanks and a question. Mythbox is looking great and is shaping up nicely to replace MythFE in our house. The one thing holding it back from meeting the WAF is grouped recordings. Everything is shown in one big flat list. Is there a way to configure it to show recordings in title groups or is this still on the todo list?

Looking great and watching development closely.

- richardk - 2011-01-11

mongrol Wrote:Hi folks,
A note of thanks and a question. Mythbox is looking great and is shaping up nicely to replace MythFE in our house. The one thing holding it back from meeting the WAF is grouped recordings. Everything is shown in one big flat list. Is there a way to configure it to show recordings in title groups or is this still on the todo list?

This is the obstacle to our using it, also. We have over 1200 recorded episodes on our MythTV backend system. We wouldn't be able to scroll through a list that large to find what we want to watch.

Aside from this one thing, it's a fantastic add-on, and we're really hoping to be able to use it in the future.

- fiveisalive - 2011-01-12

prupert Wrote:Thanks for the detailed and informative reply.

No problem.

Quote:And short circuit is an awesome film, I cry every time Wink

Heh! Indeed. Well spotted.

- colbert - 2011-01-14

Am trying some different ways to view Myth recordings lately and noticed this was updated today with support for .24, alas it works for me, excelllent contribution and much appreciated!

Few questions:
1. In the Guide, it doesn't appear possible to record a program that is currently airing. For example it's 5:05 right now and I can hit enter on any show in progress but nothing happens-- yet the new recording window comes up fine for anything in the future. Curious if a setting/something I'm missing on my part or just the current state of the add-on.

2. In Watch Recordings, I'd like to have it sorted by Date but descending with newest at the top, currently I can only get it sorted by oldest first: http://i.imgur.com/ve8rD.jpg.

3. I can't see Recordings Schedules or Upcoming Recordings: http://i.imgur.com/GkQyV.jpg though in Test Settings all seems OK: http://i.imgur.com/1nE5g.jpg (And also, likely related to this, in the Guide I can see programs highlighted so they are scheduled to record, but no matter, when I hit enter on them I just get a new recordings menu-- it's not bringing up the program's schedule info, again I'm guessing this is because Mythbox isn't reading the upcoming recording/schedule properly).

Here is the ~/mythbox.log right when I went into Upcoming Recordings: http://pastebin.com/JhjJ46Fm

Thanks a lot for any help, amazing add-on!!

(P.S. I am able to watch recordings as I tried a few and they work fine!)

- bxcuk - 2011-01-15

Hi Colbert,

I was also suffering from your issue number 3 (Upcoming Recordings and Recording Schedules); found your post when googling for a solution. In the end I debugged the two issues myself and resolved them.

Upcoming recordings not displaying: this was due to a "record" entry in my mythdb database which had a "type" of 0. Digging around, seems like the "type" is "Schedule Options" setting in mythweb. 0 seems like an invalid entry in this field; I don't know why it was in the database. You can verify whether you have the same situation by running the following on the MythTV machine:

Code:
mysql -u mythtv -p mythconverg -e 'select description from record where type=0;'

If that prints the description of any show, you have the same issue.

Personally, I resolved it by removing the recording record. Entirely up to you if you decide to do this; it may well cause issues later and probably isn't recommended. You can do this with:

$ mysql -u mythtv -p mythconverg -e 'delete from record where type=0;'

Recording schedules not displaying: I found that this was due to MythTV returning a scheduled recording record to MythBox with a (TV) card ID of 0, which again is not valid. To work around this I updated the following line in mythbox/ui/upcoming.py:

Code:
tuner = self.tunersById[p.getTunerId()]
to this:
Code:
tunerId = p.getTunerId()

if tunerId == 0:
                    continue

tuner = self.tunersById[tunerId]

I will now try to find out how I can submit a patch for this (assuming the mythbox maintainers consider it to be a bug on their side).

Jittery Video - ericdunn - 2011-01-16

I am running Mythtv backend v0.23 on an old Pentium PC and Mythbox on a fast Windows 7 PC. I can play recorded TV fine, no issues - even HD recordings are perfectly smooth. I have trouble with some Live TV channels e.g. anything BBC or ITV plays ok for a few seconds then starts to jitter. Channel 4 play perfectly. If I try to play any HD channel live, the jitter is much worse and no sound. I have tried increasing the Ringbuffer on the Myth backend - no joy. The server running Myth 0.23 is quite an old machine (Pentium single core, 3GHz), but it has no problem streaming live to a Myth frontend, even HD is no problem. Does Mythbox cause any more load on the backend machine than the standard Myth frontend? If so it may be that my back end PC is just not fast enough to decode the tuner signal and do whatever else it has to do. Can anybody please help? What can I try to cure this?

- colbert - 2011-01-16

Very interesting! I'd like to try out these solutions when I get home tomorrow. I'm curious for the first one what do you mean by recording record being deleted?

- fiveisalive - 2011-01-17

analogue Wrote:Hit the menu button and the Video OSD will popup on the top of the screen. The rightmost button on the top row is the 'Record' button. Just click on that and then stop LiveTV. Now head over to the 'Watch Recordings' screen and it will be first in the list (assuming you're sorting by descending date).

Ah, I'm using Aeon MQ2 and apparently the record button is missing from the skin in the OSD. When I switch back to Confluence, there is a record button, but it doesn't do anything (at least not for me, I'll try to post a log). i.e. no new recording appears in the list of recorded programs, even after a refresh.

Also, I see that the "Record" button is bound to "take a screenshot", it would probably make more sense to bind it to the record function, as that's probably most people would expect the record button to do in Live TV mode (e.g. like TiVo etc.)

Authentication with old (insecure) password - rmnelson - 2011-01-19

I used phpmyadmin to make sure that my mythconverg password was using mysql 4.1+ hashing, and updated my.cnf on the backend to old_passwords=0 and I still can't get mythbox to connect to my .24 database. I get the failure shown in the title with mythbox 1.0.1. I can connect from other remote frontends, and the built in xbmcmythtv support works after I added my backend to the hosts file. As a complete and total noob I've hit my limit here. Any suggestions? Thanks!

- analogue - 2011-01-20

mongrol Wrote:Hi folks,

A rewrite of the recordings screen to address grouping is in the pipeline. Stay tuned..