Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] External Player Support Thread - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] External Player Support Thread (/showthread.php?tid=43511)

- droyden - 2009-02-05

Dannydeman Wrote:I really want to give this a try, but it seems I have a big problem. Video in MPC-HC is very choppy, but the CPU is like 4% since it uses DXVA. When I close xbmc.exe in the taskmgr, everything plays fine. So there is something in XBMC whats conflicting with something in MPC-HC.

I suggest trying this build version XBMCSetup-Rev17368-jester-ext.exe (in the archive directory) I had a similar problem (see page 21) rolling back to that version seemed to resolve it.

- THX-UltraII - 2009-02-06

moby-uk Wrote:I'm also looking at providing a way for externalplayers that support it to playback DVD folder structures.

This would be great! I really want this feature so if you need beta-testers or something send me a mail/PM

- Dannydeman - 2009-02-06

droyden Wrote:I suggest trying this build version XBMCSetup-Rev17368-jester-ext.exe (in the archive directory) I had a similar problem (see page 21) rolling back to that version seemed to resolve it.

Thanks, will try it tonight Smile

- moby-uk - 2009-02-06

THX-UltraII Wrote:This would be great! I really want this feature so if you need beta-testers or something send me a mail/PM

I'm just trying to solve my last irritation (getting the library view to update removing the now-market-as-watched item) and then I'll take you up on that (hope you know your way around a regular expression Big Grin)

- Livin - 2009-02-06

Anyone using ZoomPlayer?

Since EG has control for it built-in I was wondering about it and if someone had it working with XBMC external player support?

Please post your setup specifics if you are... thx

- ashlar - 2009-02-06

Livin Wrote:Anyone using ZoomPlayer?

Since EG has control for it built-in I was wondering about it and if someone had it working with XBMC external player support?

Please post your setup specifics if you are... thx
Yes I have. Check my previous posts in this thread for the configuration.

- defunkt - 2009-02-07

Yes, been using ZoomPlayer as an external HTPC player for years (highly recommended) and it would appear I've timed the move to (the amazing) XBMC just right thanks to the creators of this patch.

Code:
<advancedsettings>
<video>
   <defaultplayer>externalplayer</defaultplayer>
</video>
<externalplayer>
   <filename>C:\Program Files\Zoom Player\zplayer.exe</filename>
   <args>/F /LOCKFS /VOL:25</args>
   <forceontop>true</forceontop>
   <hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
   <hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
   <hidecursor>false</hidecursor>
</externalplayer>
</advancedsettings>

There are several settings in ZP you'll want to tweak to taste, I like only the Exit button on the pop-up timeline and opt for Play Next Dir File to have it move to the next folder file on play complete. Using Jester's 17368 build as with ZP I've never needed (and prefer not to see) the latest force close dialog.

- ingope - 2009-02-08

Looks like I am to stupid to get it working Sad

First of all, a friendly hello to all members here...

I don´t get XBMC working on my Vista System.
DVD and "small" AVI are playing very well.
But 720p and 1080p MKV´s are just playing 5-10 sec.
After that XBMX is freezing (sometimes) or the video just stops.

That´s my advancedsettings:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
<video>
   <defaultplayer>externalplayer</defaultplayer>
</video>
<externalplayer>
   <filename>C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe</filename>
   <args></args>
   <forceontop>true</forceontop>
   <hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
   <hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
   <hidecursor>false</hidecursor>
</externalplayer>
</advancedsettings>

Any errors in there?

System:
Quad Core Q6600 @ 3,2 GHZ
4 GM RAM
9600 GT SLI
Vista Ultimate

720 and 1080p are working very fine @ VLC Player.

And suggestions?

Thanks in advance

best regards
Ingo

Step by Step instructions for an external player in Windows version - jcraven - 2009-02-08

I've got the external player function working to the point of launching PowerDVD8, however it doesn't play the movie if it's Blu Ray (standard DVDs work fine). I've tried backing up the movie as an IFO, a complete rip, and also just the main movie file - all with the same result. If I manually browse to the movie folder and play with PowerDVD8 it works fine. Any suggestions?

- ingope - 2009-02-08

ingope Wrote:Any errors in there?

And suggestions?

Thanks in advance

I need to quote my own text Smile
The problem is solved as it looks likes.
I just needed to switch off the digital Audio in XBMC.
Now it works as designed Smile

btw. does anyone knows why my CPU load is on 30-40 % when XBMC is Idle?
When i play a movie (no matter if its a 720p or a 1080p) the CPU load goes down to 10% or less (normal load also on VLC)

@ jcraven - take a look at the first posting of this thread, there is a very detailed info how to do this.
If you don´t know how to do this, send me a pn

- parker - 2009-02-09

I'm very happy using MPC-HC as my external player with XBMC now. I think the only piece of the puzzle that's missing at this point is that videos get marked as 'watched' regardless of if I actually play them through to the end or not.

Has anyone thought about a way for the external player to interact with XBMC (or vice versa) in order to properly set that flag only when the file has actually played to the end credits in the external player? I know that MPC-HC has some sort of internal database for tracking the 'watched' position, because it will auto-resume when I play a file that had previously been stopped partway through. If we could access that information and compare it to the length of the file, that would be a good indicator of whether or not the file was watched all the way (or at least, close enough to all the way) through or if it was stopped early. Then there would just need to be a way to mark that file as "watched" or "unwatched" in the XBMC library.

Barring that, is there any way to prevent XBMC from marking the video as watched when using an external player? I'd just as soon keep all of my videos as unwatched, since I tend to manually remove files as soon as I watch them anyway, but would be able to use the 'hide watched' setting in XBMC again.

- ashlar - 2009-02-09

Moby-uk is working on the watched/unwatched thing. But I doubt and I'd strongly object to the default behaviour being "not marking stuff as watched". It could be an option but... in the majority of cases if ones selects a video file it's because he's gonna watch it. How could you assume the opposite?

- parker - 2009-02-09

ashlar Wrote:Moby-uk is working on the watched/unwatched thing. But I doubt and I'd strongly object to the default behaviour being "not marking stuff as watched". It could be an option but... in the majority of cases if ones selects a video file it's because he's gonna watch it. How could you assume the opposite?

You're right, the current behavior of marking a file as watched once it's selected should certainly stay the default and is the correct case the large majority of the time, but I wasn't suggesting making any change to that default.

I was just looking for some sort of manual temporary override that I could use in the meantime, since I like to use the "hide hidden" view settings but don't want to hide shows that I only partially watched.

- hobojester - 2009-02-09

Hey Guys. First of all, just wanted to say how stoked I am about all of this. I've been using Zoom Player for a few years now, and have just been using its built in filemanager and that's pretty much been the interface for my HTPC. Started looking into other stuff, been looking at XBMC, MP, Boxee, and others, and have settled on XBMC, loving it.

Second, I do take my hat off to the XBMC developers, but ultimately there are things about Zoomplayer that I wanted to retain so I've opted to utilize the externalplayer feature. So I wanted to shout out a thanks to the guy making/patching the new builds to make the external player work (http://ocs.nl/xbmc/XBMCSetup-Rev17621-jester.exe). I believe that it's moby-uk? I apologize if I'm getting the name wrong, but the thanks is going out just the same.

As a matter of FYI, I spent the last day finalizing my remote stuff. I've used HIP, I was using Girder for a while (what a pain), then yesterday I messed with the IR Suite and Translator, and finally ended up deciding on and loving intelliremote. It's working great.

But now onto my question (and sorry for the long rant, first post here and just wanted to shout some thanks). When I close out of Zoomplayer and then XBMC loads back up, there are a few things that happen:

1) When zoom closes, I see my desktop for about 1-2 seconds. I figure this is completely normal since XBMC is coming back into the foreground.
2) When XBMC comes back it brings me back to exactly the same location where I was previously. PERFECT!
3) There is a 15-45 second delay before the keyboard/remote responds to my up/down/any keys/buttons. When it does respond the 'list' I'm looking at goes away very briefly (1s) so I'm just looking at the XBMC background picture, and then the list comes back exactly where it should be and now I have control.

The question: Is this (#3) normal behavior? It's certainly not critical, but when I'm done watching a show I want do simply right click on it and delete it. But with this kind of delay it's annoying to me (and much more to my wife) that it takes so long.

Thanks, and sorry again for the long post.

- moby-uk - 2009-02-10

parker Wrote:Has anyone thought about a way for the external player to interact with XBMC (or vice versa) in order to properly set that flag only when the file has actually played to the end credits in the external player?

Not going to happen. At least, it's not something I plan to look and and it seems unlikely anyone else would; there's just too many options of what you could use as an externalplayer to try and integrate something like that.

Remember, this is a stop-gap for when the builtin player can't adequately play something (for me I need to use CoreAVC to get my Atom-based Asus EEE Box to play HD). Long term I hope this goes away.