Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] External Player Support Thread - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] External Player Support Thread (/showthread.php?tid=43511)

- taxigps - 2009-02-14

moby-uk Wrote:@taxigps, @ghizzu & @hobojester

I've PM'd you all a link to a test-build that contains a few things you may like to try

For taxigps: an extra action to start the externalplayer when the builtin player is default that you can map in keymap.xml

Thanks, I'll try it. and could you send me the patch file, I want to compile XBMC by myself.

- taxigps - 2009-02-14

Very good! I have tested the XBMCSetup-Rev17696-moby-ext.exe. I set the Keymap.xml to use "e" key to play movie use externalplayer, like this:

<e>PlayExternal</e>

I can press e to open externalplayer, this is wonderful.

- ashlar - 2009-02-15

Since everything seems to be working correctly, the intel patch is SVN... could we have external player updated in SVN, as well.

I'd love to finally be able to consider all builds equal without fear of losing functionality. Any major hurdle still to overcome?

- tdlofcc - 2009-02-15

I just started using XBMC on my new HTPC, been using XBMC on my XboX ever since it came out, so it was a logical choice really Wink

But I would like to use Mediaplayer Classic, so I found this thread.

I (at least I think I did) followed all the steps needed to use MPC, but it still wont work.

I've installed XBMCSetup-Rev17368-jester-ext.exe and put an advancedsettings.xml in the userdata folder AND I tried the profile folder (documents and settings)

<advancedsettings>
<video>
<defaultplayer>externalplayer</defaultplayer>
</video>
<externalplayer>
<filename>c:\program files\mplayerc.exe</filename>
<forceontop>true</forceontop>
<hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
<hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
<hidecursor>false</hidecursor>
</externalplayer>
</advancedsettings>

In XBMC the internalplayer is still default, and MPC does not start.

In the logfile I see this:
22:05:15 T:1620 M:1649270784 NOTICE: CExternalPlayer::OpenFile: G:\Episodes\IT Crowd S03\the.it.crowd.s03e03.ws.pdtv.xvid-river.avi
22:05:15 T:2624 M:1649262592 NOTICE: CExternalPlayer:Filename:
22:05:15 T:2624 M:1649258496 NOTICE: CExternalPlayer:Args:
22:05:15 T:2624 M:1649258496 NOTICE: CExternalPlayerBig Grinefault Audio Player: paplayer
22:05:15 T:2624 M:1649258496 NOTICE: CExternalPlayerBig Grinefault Video Player: dvdplayer
22:05:15 T:2624 M:1649258496 NOTICE: CExternalPlayerTonguerocess: Start
22:05:15 T:2624 M:1649242112 NOTICE: CExternalPlayer::ExecuteAppW32: "" "G:\Episodes\IT Crowd S03\the.it.crowd.s03e03.ws.pdtv.xvid-river.avi"
22:05:15 T:2624 M:1649242112 NOTICE: CExternalPlayer::ExecuteAppW32 - Failure: 0
22:05:15 T:2624 M:1649242112 NOTICE: CExternalPlayerTonguerocess: Stop

Which looks like it does not use the advancedsettings.xml file ... and I'm at a loss here Sad

Any help would be much appreciated Smile

Cheers in advance.

- tdlofcc - 2009-02-15

tdlofcc Wrote:I just started using XBMC on my new HTPC, been using XBMC on my XboX ever since it came out, so it was a logical choice really Wink

But I would like to use Mediaplayer Classic, so I found this thread.

I (at least I think I did) followed all the steps needed to use MPC, but it still wont work.

I've installed XBMCSetup-Rev17368-jester-ext.exe and put an advancedsettings.xml in the userdata folder AND I tried the profile folder (documents and settings)

<advancedsettings>
<video>
</video>
<externalplayer>
<filename>c:\program files\mplayerc.exe</filename>
</externalplayer>
</advancedsettings>

In XBMC the internalplayer is still default, and MPC does not start.

In the logfile I see this:
22:05:15 T:1620 M:1649270784 NOTICE: CExternalPlayer::OpenFile: G:\Episodes\IT Crowd S03\the.it.crowd.s03e03.ws.pdtv.xvid-river.avi
22:05:15 T:2624 M:1649262592 NOTICE: CExternalPlayer:Filename:
22:05:15 T:2624 M:1649258496 NOTICE: CExternalPlayer:Args:
22:05:15 T:2624 M:1649258496 NOTICE: CExternalPlayerBig Grinefault Audio Player: paplayer
22:05:15 T:2624 M:1649258496 NOTICE: CExternalPlayerBig Grinefault Video Player: dvdplayer
22:05:15 T:2624 M:1649258496 NOTICE: CExternalPlayerTonguerocess: Start
22:05:15 T:2624 M:1649242112 NOTICE: CExternalPlayer::ExecuteAppW32: "" "G:\Episodes\IT Crowd S03\the.it.crowd.s03e03.ws.pdtv.xvid-river.avi"
22:05:15 T:2624 M:1649242112 NOTICE: CExternalPlayer::ExecuteAppW32 - Failure: 0
22:05:15 T:2624 M:1649242112 NOTICE: CExternalPlayerTonguerocess: Stop

Which looks like it does not use the advancedsettings.xml file ... and I'm at a loss here Sad

Any help would be much appreciated Smile

Cheers in advance.

ROFL ... I think I better get some sleep and time away from the computer.
It seems I did not read properly ...

I used C:\Documents and Settings\TDL\Application Data\XBMC\ instead of C:\Documents and Settings\TDL\Application Data\XBMC\userdata. Rolleyes

- Mshake - 2009-02-16

moby - i presently use a python script to replace those smb links / to what i want. It seems your patch is better integrated. How can I incorporate this into the existing version -ext by jester and could you also send me a test link to your site via pm....

Two priority for me
1) SMB links working properly
2) External player ease of use and launching

Thanks in advance

- moby-uk - 2009-02-16

Mshake Wrote:moby - i presently use a python script to replace those smb links / to what i want. It seems your patch is better integrated. How can I incorporate this into the existing version -ext by jester and could you also send me a test link to your site via pm....

Two priority for me
1) SMB links working properly
2) External player ease of use and launching

Thanks in advance

Jester's "-ext" builds are builds of my patch (I'm just eating his bandwidth Smile).

- Dannydeman - 2009-02-16

New version works great, only one small little problem which is not toally XBMC related. I use the AMBX system, which works great with XBMC standalone and MPC-HC standalone. The problem I have is that, when I enable AMBX for XBMC, it won't work for MPC-HC as external player. It just keeps te last color from the XBMC menu, so I guess something is still active, because I didn't have this behavior with mediaportal with the MPC-HC as external. So I disabled AMBX for XBMC and now it works fine in MPC-HC..

But it also seems aAMBX is crashing lots more then normal, now it just hangs and gives me an error after 30minutes of playing (very random though). I know this isn't entierly the fault of XBMC, but I don't have this with mediaportal/externalplayer combo.

- moby-uk - 2009-02-16

Dannydeman Wrote:New version works great, only one small little problem which is not toally XBMC related. I use the AMBX system, which works great with XBMC standalone and MPC-HC standalone. The problem I have is that, when I enable AMBX for XBMC, it won't work for MPC-HC as external player. It just keeps te last color from the XBMC menu, so I guess something is still active, because I didn't have this behavior with mediaportal with the MPC-HC as external. So I disabled AMBX for XBMC and now it works fine in MPC-HC..

I don't know how AMBX works but it maybe something to do with the fact the (by default) 5 seconds after the externalplayer starts XBMC stops redrawing it's window. However, if AMBX only cares about the foreground window (which seems reasonable) then I don't see why this should matter.

You can try increasing this time in your advancedsettings.xml

Code:
<advancedsettings>
<externalplayer>
  <startuptime>10000</startuptime>
</externalplayer>
</advancedsettings>

will give you a 10 second delay.

Setting this value to 0 will cause XBMC to show a modal dialog instead of locking the its graphicscontext; this will mean that the XBMC window continues to be drawn, but at the expense of (a not insignificant amount of) CPU-time which some users reported causing their externalplayers problems.

Dannydeman Wrote:But it also seems aAMBX is crashing lots more then normal, now it just hangs and gives me an error after 30minutes of playing (very random though). I know this isn't entierly the fault of XBMC, but I don't have this with mediaportal/externalplayer combo.

Can't help with this.

- SKiNNiEH - 2009-02-16

What has proven to be a good combination of xmbc and external player? Especially when it comes to quitting on 'end of file' and on hitting the stop button on my remote.

Also... just from an end-user-friendly perspective... could you perhaps package a player and needed settings in the next build so that it works out of the box? I believe media player classic gets packaged with quite a lot of other installers, so there are options (legally).

- zag - 2009-02-17

Thanks for this, works well.

Here is my xml for zoomplayer. I use HIP to cycle the subs and aspect ratio.

Code:
<advancedsettings>
<video>
</video>
<externalplayer>
  <filename>C:\Program Files\Zoom Player\zplayer.exe</filename>
  <args>/F /Q /LOCKFS /MOUSEOFF</args>
</externalplayer>
</advancedsettings>

Playmee for meedio allows you to set up multiple external players based on rules such as file extension, is there any chance of getting this done for this script? For instance zoomplayer is great for MKV files but not so good for youtube streams or online videos.

EDIT: also the first post is wrong

Quote:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Application Data\XBMC

Shouldn't it be

Quote:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Application Data\XBMC\USERDATA

?

- Hitcher - 2009-02-17

zag2me Wrote:EDIT: also the first post is wrong
Quote:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Application Data\XBMC
Shouldn't it be
Quote:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Application Data\XBMC\USERDATA

No, that's where you find the USERDATA folder -

Jester Wrote:Create a advancedsettings.xml file in your userdata directory (in \Documents and Settings\[user]\Application Data\XBMC on WinXp or \Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\XBMC on Vista)

- moby-uk - 2009-02-17

zag2me Wrote:Playmee for meedio allows you to set up multiple external players based on rules such as file extension, is there any chance of getting this done for this script?

Not by me Smile. (Not wanting to speak for anyone else but AIUI) XBMC has no desire to be a launcher but rather an integrated experience. I've scratched my particular itch: performance of the builtin player not being adequate for HD content on my EEE Box whereas MPC-HC+CoreAVC is. But I personally hope that the builtin player will improve to the point that externalplayers are unnecessary.

- moby-uk - 2009-02-17

I've just added what I hope is the final version of my patch to trac.

This adds the changes from my test build detailed here.

@taxigps: I slightly changed the action that allowed you to bind launching the externalplayer to a key, you'll now need to use something like
Code:
<e>XBMC.PlayWith(externalplayer)</e>
this is so that, if you make the externalplayer the default, you can bind a key to launch the builtin player with something like
Code:
<p>XBMC.PlayWith(dvdplayer)</p>

Just gotta persuade the devs to accept it now Eek

- Jester - 2009-02-17

Build coming with the latest moby-uk patch, after this and some testing is done, we'll push the dev's to get this in SVN as the standard external player that is in the SVN currently is seriously borked compaired to this one Wink