Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] External Player Support Thread - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] External Player Support Thread (/showthread.php?tid=43511)

- LaTropa64 - 2009-03-19

THX-UltraII Wrote:never understood how to read this Trac thing. Does this mean I can download the official XBMCLive 8.10.2b1 and that it is integrated there? Or what?

Anything built after SVN 18627. My guess is 8.10.2b1 is too old.

- dj_gerbil - 2009-03-19

Hi there, Please don't shout at me if this has already been asked but I have sync problems watching rtmp streams on my setup, I'm my processor hasn't got enough grunt to decode the stream propally so I was wondering if this external player option was perhaps the answer as I've already found a standalone flash player. My question is, is this possible and if so, how do I go about setting it up?? Thanks in advance for your help. P.S. I've currently got the launcher plugin running to use the player, but when I come back to XBMC I get a black screen so I'm hoping this might be a better way of attacking the problem.

- alessio2 - 2009-03-20

Moby's version is not available to download any more. Is there any other maybe newer revision with ext player support to download?

- neurosis13 - 2009-03-20

all new builds have ext player support now.
Nod

- alessio2 - 2009-03-20

neurosis13 Wrote:all new builds have ext player support now.
Nod

Cool Cool

- shrah - 2009-03-20

Thank you moby for this patch!
Could you please look into audio playing issue since SVN Rev18677.
Since that version XBMC constantly crashes when trying to play any audio file using external player (video files play fine).
But rev18627 worked fine with both types.

Aeon "Play Disk" option - MrBasset - 2009-03-21

Heya,

I've set up the external player to use zoomplayer, however I'm having a few problems with as aspect of the Aeon skin (Alpha 14) which allows you to play directly from the current dvd in the drive.

When I select this zoomplayer starts up in media mode and comes up with the error message "unable to play //1".

I'm guessing the external player script is attempting to pass the pathname for the file to play and as this is empty nothing is happening.

Anyone see something similar or got a solution?

Cheers,
~Dan

P.S. I'm using Jester's 18627 build (haven't been able to run a successful get latest from svn as it keeps timing out Sad)

Can play some videos - nhegde1 - 2009-03-22

Hi,
I wanted to first thank you guys for making this external player happen. I have a underpowered PC so this is the only way to make video work(hardware acceleration). I am stuck on one issue and hope some one can help

I installed Rev18565 (tried the latest version too). I put in the advancedsettings.xml into the C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\xbmc\userdata. The file details are as below

<advancedsettings>
<video>
<defaultplayer>externalplayer</defaultplayer>
</video>
<externalplayer>
<filename>C:\Program Files\windows media player\wmplayer.exe</filename>
<args></args>
<forceontop>false</forceontop>
<hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
<hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
<hidecursor>false</hidecursor>
</externalplayer>
</advancedsettings>

The PROBLEM is that it plays mpegs with WM player but when I try to play ripped dvds (vobs) it uses the internal dvdplayer. I looked at xbmc.log it has the following
default dvd player: dvdplayer
default video player: externalplayer.

Is there a way to make dvds and ripped dvds use the external player? Thanks for your help. BTW the ripped DVDs play fine when I try to play them on WM player outside the XBMC confines.

- nhegde1 - 2009-03-22

I found the solution after going through the first 24 pages. Thanks to Moby-UK's <defaultdvdplayer> inclusion.
Now if only I can get MPC working
nhegde1 Wrote:Hi,
I wanted to first thank you guys for making this external player happen. I have a underpowered PC so this is the only way to make video work(hardware acceleration). I am stuck on one issue and hope some one can help

I installed Rev18565 (tried the latest version too). I put in the advancedsettings.xml into the C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\xbmc\userdata. The file details are as below

<advancedsettings>
<video>
<defaultplayer>externalplayer</defaultplayer>
</video>
<externalplayer>
<filename>C:\Program Files\windows media player\wmplayer.exe</filename>
<args></args>
<forceontop>false</forceontop>
<hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
<hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
<hidecursor>false</hidecursor>
</externalplayer>
</advancedsettings>

The PROBLEM is that it plays mpegs with WM player but when I try to play ripped dvds (vobs) it uses the internal dvdplayer. I looked at xbmc.log it has the following
default dvd player: dvdplayer
default video player: externalplayer.

Is there a way to make dvds and ripped dvds use the external player? Thanks for your help. BTW the ripped DVDs play fine when I try to play them on WM player outside the XBMC confines.

- Bill48105 - 2009-03-22

Hey nhegde1,
Media Player Classic works fine for me as external player of video files. I never tried DVD's or VOB's but I assume it should work for those too once setup correctly in the Advancedsettings.xml file but I didn't see you mention what the problem was you are having now that you got the Advancedsettings.xml settings figured out. One thing I did to limit headaches was use the short name/path (~1 stuff with no spaces) but that is just a habit of mine when entering paths since I've had so many issues with long filenames in the past. I do start->Run then paste it in there to test before entering in the config just to be sure it is right. That is a handy place to test command line options too.
Bill

- moby-uk - 2009-03-22

daniel.pool Wrote:When I select this zoomplayer starts up in media mode and comes up with the error message "unable to play //1".

hey Dan,

i'm going on guesswork here as i don't use XBMC for actual DVDs (my little EEE Box doesn't have one) so i don't know what paths XBMC uses to identify DVD drives and I have used zoomplayer either. That said, if the paths the two use to identify your DVD drive are different you can get XBMC to rewrite the path before the externalplayer is launched. Read the bit on replacers in my earlier post (you'll need to know your way around a regular expression though).

- MrBasset - 2009-03-22

Hey Moby,

That was exactly the issue. I've reworked the path (XBMC sends dvd:\\1" which ZP can't translate into the DVD drive) and that now seems to work. Laugh

Annoyingly had to force it to "D:\video_ts\video_ts.ifo" to play DVDs, which is not so neat. Anyone know the command line to just play the contents of the current disk in ZP, "/DVD /PLAY" doesn't seem to want to work :-(

Cheers

- rpleasan - 2009-03-23

Can anyone help me on this?

rpleasan Wrote:I installed XBMCSetup-Rev17788-jester-ext.exe to launch VLC using settings in my advancedsettings.xml file. When I select a movie file, press C, select Play Using..., and select External Player, nothing happens.

My advancedsettings.xml file is located in \advanced data\xbmc and has the all the default settings as listed in the beginning of this thread.

Any ideas? I know it's something simple.

(p.s. I even removed the base xbmc appl and installed the -jester-ext file clean but no joy).

- MrBasset - 2009-03-23

rpleasan Wrote:My advancedsettings.xml file is located in \advanced data\xbmc and has the all the default settings as listed in the beginning of this thread.

I think that you have your advancedsettings.xml file located in the wrong place. It should be in the userdata folder. This, depending on the start up switches for XBMC (e.g. -p) you use, will either be in the program files folder or your application data folder. The first post has details:

Jester Wrote:Create a advancedsettings.xml file in your userdata directory (in \Documents and Settings\[user]\Application Data\XBMC on WinXp or \Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\XBMC on Vista)

Emphasis added

Your XBMC log file (located in the folder above) should show the advancedsettings.xml being detected and loaded.

Hope that helps.

- rpleasan - 2009-03-23

Thanks Daniel. I installed the last Moby update as well. It prompted me to install setting files under my profile or in program files. I chose within doc/settings. My advancedsettingsl.xml file is located in \userdata so I'll check the log files to see if it loading properly.