Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] External Player Support Thread - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] External Player Support Thread (/showthread.php?tid=43511)

- Orio - 2009-11-08

Hello!

I've managed to get my external player working BUT, it wont play mkv inside rar archives. It can play img files but not MKV nor Avi files.

I downloaded the "RARFileSource" and the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package but like I said, it wont play MKV.

Any ideas?

Have a good one!

External player is great! - jplatt - 2009-11-09

I've been using Media Player Classic -HC as an external player for my HTPC for a few weeks now and I love it.

Here is what is great about it.

1. Easier to ship ahead to a point in a movie using MPC-HC control bar.
2. Can use hardware acceleration + no tearing in EVR Custom Pres mode.
3. It works with PlayOn (the Upnp server) so Hulu and Netflix are A++ except no skipping around through a file,m but XBMC player didnt do that either.
4. I can get out of full screen and watch a hulu video in the corner of the desktop while browsing the web.

I do have one problem though. sometimes MPC doesnt exit right and gets stuck in memory so I can;t get back to XBMC, and sometimes XBMC locks up even if MPC exits correctly.

Anyone have a solution to this?

- Fascix - 2009-11-09

I have a small problem using Media Player Classic HC. everything works fine playing what i want to play but when i exit/close MPC HC, xbmc wont return focus. Its minimized.
If i use ctrl+c everything goes black as if player is still in fullscreen but nothing plays... and if i use alt+x the player quits and leaves me with my desktop.
i am using windows 7 fully updated and only programs installed is xbmc and ac3 filter plus drivers
i am using the latest SVN build from kricker (tried the 9.11 alpha but it crashed on me)

and my playercorefactory.xml looks like this:
Code:
<playercorefactory>
  <players>
    <player name="MPC-HC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
      <filename>C:\Program Files\MPC-HC\mpc-hc.exe</filename>
      <args>/fullscreen /close</args>
      <hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
      <hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
      <warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
    </player>
  </players>
  <rules>
    <rule video="true" filetypes="mkv|avi|divx" player="MPC-HC" />
  </rules>
</playercorefactory>

any ideas? maby some settings inside MPC-HC??

thanx for any help

- cgmark - 2009-11-10

Fascix Wrote:I have a small problem using Media Player Classic HC. everything works fine playing what i want to play but when i exit/close MPC HC, xbmc wont return focus. Its minimized.

here is what I have and it works fine.
Code:
<player name="MPC-HC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
      <filename>c:\MPC\mpc-hc.exe</filename>
      <args>/fullscreen /close  /play</args>
      <hidecursor>false</hidecursor>
    </player>
</players>

- Cammer - 2009-11-10

Thank you Moby and Ashlar.

Since using Camelot Alpha 1, I don't need to use an external player anymore. The internal player plays all my content, with no issues.

I encourage all who have issues playing content to try it. Big Grin

- BangBang - 2009-11-10

Cammer, which hardware are you using?

- Smiff - 2009-11-12

If i setup xbmc to use an external player for DVDs (via playercorefactory), playback fails because my external player doesn't accept "dvd://1" at the end of the command line, tries to load that as a file (it already has its own "play dvd" switch which is all that's needed). anyone know how to stop xbmc adding this command please? the skin is just doing XBMC.PlayDVD
thanks.

- Fascix - 2009-11-13

Cool i got it working at last.
and not only that its TOTALY semless. i just love this.
i had problem with mpc-hc minimizing when exiting out of a playing movie, but thats fixed now with the fakefullscreen argument in advanced settings and i made my desktop black, hid the taskbar, and cleaned up any remaining icons on the desktop...

just a thought though. i know someone is making a dsplayer to have dxva support in xbmc nativly but for me as of now the only thing that differs from ffmpeg player in xbmc is the control bar, and my ide was to maby just make a skin or a windows theme that looks somewhat like the xbmc skin your using... than the feeling is compleated

thanx for this great program, xbmc and support for external player

- m0bbed - 2009-11-19

Hi guys,
I'm using the older XBMC (Babylon)Version and tried many hours to use an external Player (mpc-hc).

heres my advancedsettings.xml which is stored in the correct "userdata" folder. The problem is the following:

When starting a movie then I hear in the background that the movie has started in Mediaplayer Classic. But the XBMC unfortunately stays in front and MPC is running in the background.

The funny thing is that on my computer it works perfect (completely same Version of both xbmc and mpc).
Only when I run XBMC in windowed Mode it also works perfect...

here the XML:
Quote:<advancedsettings>
<video>
<defaultplayer>externalplayer</defaultplayer>
</video>
<externalplayer>
<filename>C:\Program Files\MPC-HC\mpc-hc.exe</filename>
<args></args>
<forceontop>true</forceontop>
<hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
</externalplayer>
</advancedsettings>
<audio>
</audio>
I think it has to do with my TV (Sony 46V5500)

Please help me Sad

m0bbed

- Dred - 2009-11-20

Hey guys just a quick question. What is the best external movie player to use for XBMC? i have coreavc and a good gpu so i need the acceleration for my crappy cpu. I hear you lose resume capability and the external player doesn't look nice. Any players out there look similar to xbmc with all the support i mentioned?

Thanks
btw using windows 7 if that matters.

- jacky89 - 2009-11-23

Cammer Wrote:Thank you Moby and Ashlar.

Since using Camelot Alpha 1, I don't need to use an external player anymore. The internal player plays all my content, with no issues.

I encourage all who have issues playing content to try it. Big Grin

Does Camelot Alpha 1 have built in hardware acceleration or does it have mpc-hc built-in? What video card and operating system are you using?

- ashlar - 2009-11-23

No and no to the first two questions.

- jacky89 - 2009-11-25

XBMC minimizes when the external player is launched. However, is there anyway to have XBMC maximize upon closing the external player? Right now, when the external player mpc-hc.exe is closed, XBMC remains minimized in the task bar.

- Svirre - 2009-11-25

I'm trying to use foobar2000 as an external player for audio, but I'm not quite sure if I'm doing this correct. I have created an advancedsettings.xml and put it in this location:

C:\Users\(my user)\AppData\Roaming\XBMC

My code is the following:

<advancedsettings>
<audio>
</audio>
<externalplayer>
<filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\foobar2000\foobar2000.exe</filename>
<args>-fs</args>
<forceontop>false</forceontop>
</externalplayer>
</advancedsettings>

-----------------------------------------------

What I wish to achieve is to use foobar for music only, not video sound. Is that possible? If so, how would I go about doing that?

- Cammer - 2009-11-26

@ Jacky

I have an Asus, GE220 with 1gb of ram. It is an Asus video board with the NVIDIA chip, and it handles my 1080p flawlessly, without an external player. I am also using Vista Home Premium, 32 bit.

I made two changes, one, a new HTPC with NVIDIA, and two - Camelot. I think both solved all my issues. No tearing, and flawless playback.

Hope that helped.

Cheers,

Cammer