Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and 8.10 (Intrepid) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and 8.10 (Intrepid) (/showthread.php?tid=44019)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

- Dragm@ - 2009-02-05

Sorry olympia, perhaps for my bad english, I'he read all the 3ad, but I didn't found an aswer for that.
Yes, I have installed the full version of Intrepid.
I will read with more attention Smile.

Bye
Dragm@

Edit: found the answer, I forget it: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=272185&postcount=34

- rodercot - 2009-02-05

toelicker Wrote:Very good howto, thanks!

A note regardning the sound configuration when using the CK804 AC'97 (Realtec chip on the ABIT AN8-sli MB). I didn't get surround sound to work with your settings.

After skipping the setting in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base and setting the devices in XBMC to use "digital" and the others to "default" I got it to work fine.

When running movies in 720p or 1080p i get some wierd speed increases occuring that is annoying to say the least.
It's like if someone keeps activating "fast forward" for shorter periods...it's like the move "bursts"..

The sound seems to work fine, no disturbances etc.
CPU load is ranging from 80-180% (dual cores using somewhat even load).
It doesn't matter if the load is high or low, the problem persists.

Tried removing powernowd but that didn't have any impact.
No differences when running movies locally or via network shares.

Rig:AMD 4600 dualcore 2,4Ghz, Abit AN8-SLI MB, 2GB RAM, nVidia 7800GTX with DVI/HDMI cable to fullHD LDC, latest bios, USB mouse instead of remote).

Running VLC or SMplayer under Windows is working ok (well, full HD material can sometimes stumble) with this PC.
(Will try to install the full version of Intrepid aswell to see it the problem occures then aswell)

Any ideas, would really love to run XBMC this way..?

//Toe

This would have everything to do with alsa, the ck804 will report errors in your boot up sequence even up to and including kernel 2.6.28-4, which I have running on an Asus M2N-SLI deluxe. Sound will work fine in analog or spdif output with ac3 and dts ouput.

your xbmc settings need to be

digital
on
on
iec958

Then run "alsamixer" from a command line and unmute your by pressing "m" under your iec958 channels. I have noticed sometimes I need to turn down the pcm channel.

for analog

analog
off
off

"alsamixer" turn up to 80 all your output channel front, back, sides etc...

This is actually one of the easiest board to get working and usually work out of the box , I use this board as a test bed Because everything works 1st shot.

Having XBMC sound settings set to default for both is most likely causing your fast foward issues.

Dave

- rodercot - 2009-02-05

legoburner Wrote:One glitch that I experienced following this guide was that plugins and scripts were not working properly. A little investigation showed that at no point is zip ever installed (apt-get install zip) which is a requirement for building the python library correctly during the make step. Once I installed zip and rebuilt the project the scripts worked perfectly, so assuming I did not make some illogical error occur, perhaps zip should be added to the initial apt-get install command?

Thanks for the great guide, made things very simple!

PLEASE NOTE:

I made a post the other day outside of this thread, if you update to kernel 2.6.27-11 by choice or automagically, in SOME cases it will delete files it sees as not being used, in my case it was certain XBMC dependant files.

SO just to be safe, IF you upgrade then rerun the sudo apt-get install "list of files from the wiki or from the readme.linux" If you are using this wiki then Olympia has included all the Readme.linux files plus so I would use the list from the wiki file for this thread.

This kernel upgrade did not propagate to Alsa or Nvidia drivers on me, but if you notice issues there it could be a problem with the update overwriting those as well. You can reinstall alsa as per the the wiki and it will overwrite fine and the Nvidia driver, well if you are unsure then you can run the installation again with --uninstall at the end and this will remove it for sure and then you can rerun the install and setup the video driver again. Make a backup copy of your xorg.conf file prior to doing this so you can rename it back following the reinstallatiion. - REMEMBER - You only need to do this if you notice issues follwing the kernel upgrade.

Dave

- toelicker - 2009-02-05

rodercot Wrote:This would have everything to do with alsa, the ck804 will report errors in your boot up sequence even up to and including kernel 2.6.28-4, which I have running on an Asus M2N-SLI deluxe. Sound will work fine in analog or spdif output with ac3 and dts ouput.

your xbmc settings need to be

digital
on
on
iec958

Then run "alsamixer" from a command line and unmute your by pressing "m" under your iec958 channels. I have noticed sometimes I need to turn down the pcm channel.

for analog

analog
off
off

"alsamixer" turn up to 80 all your output channel front, back, sides etc...

This is actually one of the easiest board to get working and usually work out of the box , I use this board as a test bed Because everything works 1st shot.

Having XBMC sound settings set to default for both is most likely causing your fast foward issues.

Dave

Hmm, and here I was happy to finally have sound hoping this issue was due to some easy kernel/nvidia driver bug! =)

Just to make sure since sound doesn't work out of the box for me:
I'm Trying to get passthrough to my receiver via SPDIF Toslink (optical cable). Settings above apply to this setup, correct?

Do you have any other settings regarding ALSA but what gets installed/configured when you run the script pointed out in this howto? (any files in your home directory or in /etc for configuring ALSA?)
Reading misc forums there are pointers to .asoundrc etc that is a complete unknown area for me since sound always worked out of the box on my other PC's.

Do you run alsaconf or any other config tools?

What entries is in your alsa-base, (my sound will not work if I use the settings in this howto)?

I have done exactly the same as you describe with the iec958 channels and in XBMC. (if I do not lower the PCM to 0 i dont get any sound at all).
As a matter of fact, the "default, default" settings in XBMC i found out by a mistake and it to my surprice gave me surround sound.

Pulling my hair......greatful for answers and kicks in the groin! I'm 100% sure i'm doing something fundamentaly wrong but I can't see what.

- rodercot - 2009-02-05

toelicker Wrote:Hmm, and here I was happy to finally have sound hoping this issue was due to some easy kernel/nvidia driver bug! =)

Just to make sure since sound doesn't work out of the box for me:
I'm Trying to get passthrough to my receiver via SPDIF Toslink (optical cable). Settings above apply to this setup, correct?

Do you have any other settings regarding ALSA but what gets installed/configured when you run the script pointed out in this howto? (any files in your home directory or in /etc for configuring ALSA?)
Reading misc forums there are pointers to .asoundrc etc that is a complete unknown area for me since sound always worked out of the box on my other PC's.

Do you run alsaconf or any other config tools?

What entries is in your alsa-base, (my sound will not work if I use the settings in this howto)?

I have done exactly the same as you describe with the iec958 channels and in XBMC. (if I do not lower the PCM to 0 i dont get any sound at all).
As a matter of fact, the "default, default" settings in XBMC i found out by a mistake and it to my surprice gave me surround sound.

Pulling my hair......greatful for answers and kicks in the groin! I'm 100% sure i'm doing something fundamentaly wrong but I can't see what.

I just booted up my test machine to check and I HAD no sound either and I recently did upgrade to 1.0.19.

I have no extra config files and I did not have to edit the alsa-base with this board codec. mine is a ADI1988B I think.

I just fixed mine now by setting XBMC to the settings above

digital
dts on
dd on
iec958

then in alsamixer for some reason my Main volume was muted by default, I turned that to 80, then turned my pcm to 80 and I saw DD on the rcvr right away. I played with the iec958 switches in the mixer as well and they did not seem to have any affect on the output other than the one that has PCM listed in red - you cannot mute or unmute this channel anyhow but you can change it from PCM to adc1, 2, or 3. So make sure it stays on PCM.

You should have one iec958 switch which is unmuted and at full voume then beside that one that is unmuted and it will say PCM default, then finally the third I mention above which should say PCM in red.

If you leave the settings in XBMC to

digital
dts on
dd on

You will get raw pcm at the rcvr and not passthrough dd or dts. Remeber when you make a change in Alsa mixer it is live in XBMC you need to stop and restart the file you are playing before you will notice the change.

Dave

- olympia - 2009-02-07

legoburner Wrote:One glitch that I experienced following this guide was that plugins and scripts were not working properly. A little investigation showed that at no point is zip ever installed (apt-get install zip) which is a requirement for building the python library correctly during the make step. Once I installed zip and rebuilt the project the scripts worked perfectly, so assuming I did not make some illogical error occur, perhaps zip should be added to the initial apt-get install command?

Thanks for the great guide, made things very simple!

Well, lastly this has been tested, and this guy is right! Guide updated.
Thank you legoburner!

I guess this is missing from the standard dependeny list in README.Linux, becasue team-XBMC is assuming full ubuntu installation, where zip is installed by default.

I am just wondering what other packages are we missing in this way... Huh

- Asswipe44 - 2009-02-08

Thanks so much for the how-to, olympia, just one beef I have with it is the part where xbmc actually installs. I have repeated all the steps you described two times and each time i get an error during install saying something like xbmc.bin doesn't exist and just stops there. I tried to ignore this and proceeded with the rest of the manual's instructions but can't boot into XBMC. Obviously, the issue is this xbmc.bin. I wonder if the svn you linked to is corrupted in any way??

- olympia - 2009-02-08

Asswipe44 Wrote:Thanks so much for the how-to, olympia, just one beef I have with it is the part where xbmc actually installs. I have repeated all the steps you described two times and each time i get an error during install saying something like xbmc.bin doesn't exist and just stops there. I tried to ignore this and proceeded with the rest of the manual's instructions but can't boot into XBMC. Obviously, the issue is this xbmc.bin. I wonder if the svn you linked to is corrupted in any way??

Yeah, it didn't compiled for me today, from the latest SVN either. So there seems to be a problem with the most current SVN version. I guess it will be fixed soon. Or you can try to compile from earlier SVN version:

Code:
# svn checkout --revision xxxxx https://xbmc.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/xbmc/branches/linuxport/XBMC

Where xxxxx obviously your favorite SVN revision Smile

- Asswipe44 - 2009-02-08

Thanks! Can you tell me what version you're using so I can install and finally get this thing up and running? Big Grin

- olympia - 2009-02-08

Asswipe44 Wrote:Thanks! Can you tell me what version you're using so I can install and finally get this thing up and running? Big Grin

Currently I am using a slightly "old" one: 16869 Smile
Be aware, that temp monitoring is not yet working with this version.

- rodercot - 2009-02-08

Asswipe44 Wrote:Thanks! Can you tell me what version you're using so I can install and finally get this thing up and running? Big Grin

You can alsa make without -j2 option and it should work for you with the latest rev. I have 17292 on my test bed and everything works pretty well.

Dave

- olympia - 2009-02-08

rodercot Wrote:You can alsa make without -j2 option and it should work for you with the latest rev. I have 17292 on my test bed and everything works pretty well.

Dave

Shocked
Dave, I think -j2 shouldn't result in an unsuccessful compilation. I think it doesn't make any difference in that regards.

Maybe you already tried with an already fixed SVN revision Smile

- Asswipe44 - 2009-02-08

Alright, thanks for the input guys. Another question, how do I get into advancedsettings.xml once I get XBMC to work? Can I do it within XBMC itself or do I have to run some other command from the boot screen?

- rodercot - 2009-02-08

Asswipe44 Wrote:Alright, thanks for the input guys. Another question, how do I get into advancedsettings.xml once I get XBMC to work? Can I do it within XBMC itself or do I have to run some other command from the boot screen?

just command line into your userdata directory and create a new file so

cd /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata

sudo (whatever editor you use) advancedsettings.xml

add your required settings and save the file and then reboot. Check your log and make sure it loaded it up ok.

Dave

- rodercot - 2009-02-08

olympia Wrote:Shocked
Dave, I think -j2 shouldn't result in an unsuccessful compilation. I think it doesn't make any difference in that regards.

Maybe you already tried with an already fixed SVN revision Smile

Maybe this was only for when doing an svn up and having issues. I am sure that Al said we could try without the -j2 option if there were issues.

Dave