Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and 8.10 (Intrepid) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and 8.10 (Intrepid) (/showthread.php?tid=44019)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

- strangedaze39 - 2009-02-08

svn checkout https://xbmc.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/xbmc/branches/linuxport/XBMC

cd XBMC

./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-pulse
ERROR: Could not find a required library. Please see README.linux

make -j2
Error:
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

I also don't see a xbox folder on the desktop. I'm not sure if that svn isn't working or whats going on. I'm really new to ubuntu. Any helps appreciated.

WiiRemote - Phantisy - 2009-02-08

I was going to ask how to get the WiiRemote to work with this but I looked into this my self and figured it out so I figured I would share. Here are the steps I took to get my Bluetooth working with my WiiRemote:

Not sure of the order but I had to do all of the following:
1. sudo apt-get install bluez
2. sudo apt-get install wminput lswm
Code:
wget http://launchpadlibrarian.net/11146115/libbluetooth2_3.24-1_i386.deb
4. sudo dpkg -i libbluetooth2_3.24-1_i386.deb
Code:
wget http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-intrepid/ubuntu/pool/main/x/xbmc/xbmc-eventclients-wiiremote_8.10final1-intrepid4_i386.deb
Code:
wget http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-intrepid/ubuntu/pool/main/x/xbmc/xbmc-eventclients-common_8.10final1-intrepid4_i386.deb
7. sudo dpkg -i xbmc-eventclients-common_8.10final1-intrepid4_i386.deb
8. sudo dpkg -i xbmc-eventclients-wiiremote_8.10final1-intrepid4_i386.deb

Not sure if I missed anything but if I did I will update if I notice it. Hope this helps anyone who is trying to use a WiiRemote.

EDIT:
Just a little note. I did not do this is x64. You will need different packages for x64.

EDIT: Put URL's in code box.

Adding MediaStream skin - myfrog - 2009-02-09

Hi, I have just followed this excellent tutorial but am left with one issue.

I am connecting via SSH from my MacBook and copying the MediaStream skin to - /usr/share/xbmc/skin/

However all I get when trying to enable it is "we require skins of version 2.00 or higher"

I must be doing something wrong, could someone please offer me some support?

Many Thanks, Steve

- harryzimm - 2009-02-09

Hi and welcome to the forum

copy the mediastream skin to /home/xbmc/.xbmc/skin folder also make sure its /home/xbmc/.xbmc/skin/mediastream/720p etc and not /home/xbmc/.xbmc/skin/mediastream/mediastream/720p etc

cheers.

- myfrog - 2009-02-09

Hi harryzimm, Thanks for your welcome and quick reply!

I have tried the /home/xbmc/.xbmc/skin folder but still get the same issue. In fact I did it this way to start with, but had to luck so tried it the way of my last post.

Doing it this way meant that the MediaStream throws the incompatible error and Aeon wasn't even in the menu to select.

Is there something else I may have done wrong?

Thank you so much for your support, Steve

- rodercot - 2009-02-09

strangedaze39 Wrote:svn checkout https://xbmc.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/xbmc/branches/linuxport/XBMC

cd XBMC

./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-pulse
ERROR: Could not find a required library. Please see README.linux

make -j2
Error:
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

I also don't see a xbox folder on the desktop. I'm not sure if that svn isn't working or whats going on. I'm really new to ubuntu. Any helps appreciated.

hello,

likely best if you delete the XBMC directory and start over.

ch ~

sudo rm -r XBMC

then

apt-get update

here is the list of dep from the readme.linux you need to install compare these with the list from the wiki you are using and make sure to add or remove the duplicates or the missing ones.

Code:
sudo apt-get install subversion make g++ gcc gawk pmount libtool nasm automake cmake gperf unzip bison libsdl1.2-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libsdl-sound1.2-dev libsdl-stretch-dev libfribidi-dev liblzo-dev libfreetype6-dev libsqlite3-dev libogg-dev libasound-dev python-sqlite libglew-dev libcurl4-gnutls-dev x11proto-xinerama-dev libxinerama-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev libmad0-dev libtre-dev libogg-dev libvorbis-dev libmysqlclient-dev libpcre3-dev libdbus-1-dev libhal-dev libhal-storage-dev libjasper-dev libfontconfig-dev libbz2-dev libboost-dev libfaac-dev libenca-dev libxt-dev libxmu-dev libpng-dev libjpeg-dev libpulse-dev

the svn checkout, configure, make, sudo make install

Dave

- danillll - 2009-02-10

Please ignore the below I got it working.
It seems the repository was messed up
yesterday

guys, quick question.

I am in the process of setting up my new dedicated htpc, I tried installing the minimal intrepid cd, but while I was getting the packages, I got bunch of "missing package" errors and it took very long time, so I canceled it and switched to the regular ubuntu install. I just saw a comment from Olympia stating that this guide is only for the mnimal version.

Shall I stick to the full ubuntu install or change to install the minimal one.

If I install the minimal version, shall I ignore the errors? how can I workaround the missing packages?

thanks a bunch

- danillll - 2009-02-10

I tried the below tip from KRavEN and I now can get menu sound as well as dts/dolby passthrough through hdmi to my a/v receiver, Olympia is there a reason why you didn't include it in the guide? Just want to make sure I didn't break anything.

Thanks

KRavEN Wrote:On an ASUS P5N7A-VM I can use the following .asoundrc file and get hdmi passthrough and navigation sounds.

/home/xbmc/.asoundrc

Code:
pcm.dmixer {
   type dmix
   ipc_key 1024
   ipc_key_add_uid false
   ipc_perm 0660
   slave {
      pcm "hw:0,3"
      rate 48000
      channels 2
      format S32_LE
      period_time 0
      period_size 1024
      buffer_time 0
      buffer_size 4096
   }
}

pcm.!default {
   type plug
   slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

- olympia - 2009-02-10

Well, now I am the one who have two questions to ASUS P5N7A-VM owners:

1. Do you also need to first turn on the TV, then the HTPC to get any picture via HDMI? If I fist turn on the PC, then the TV, there is no picture at all...

2. Are you able to wake up the HTPC by USB keyboard (or any usb device) from S5 (power off) state?

Thank you for the feedbacks

- olympia - 2009-02-10

danillll Wrote:I tried the below tip from KRavEN and I now can get menu sound as well as dts/dolby passthrough through hdmi to my a/v receiver, Olympia is there a reason why you didn't include it in the guide? Just want to make sure I didn't break anything.

Well, the main reason is, that I have navigation sound without this.
To tell you the truth, mainly I am using SP/DIF, but I also tested HDMI once, and I had navigation sound as well.

But I will test this later. (under some circumtances, my navigation sounds are disappearing, maybe this would cure that behaviour).

- danillll - 2009-02-10

thanks Olympia for your reply.

Last night I finished setting up xbmc by following this guide, everything went smooth, however I noticed some performance problems while playing 1080p movies.
I have intel dual core 3GHz stock and I was getting too many frame drops without any noticeable stuttering, the cpu load on both cores were not "very" even, 30% 70% or 70% 50% ....

I haven't seen such frame drops before even on the windows version, so I decided to try the Live version (Ubuntu Hardy) and it was wayyyyy much smoother, the CPU load was exactly even on both cores and considerably low, not a single frame drop with the same movie that was dropping frames like crazy with the intrepid setup.

Tonight I am going to follow the other guide Olympia put together for XBMC Live and use some of the missing steps mentioned in this guide (CPU temp, GPU temp....

This is an off topic question, but does anybody use the PS3 BD Remote? I was able to make it work using the ps3_remote.py script, it works perfect but it requires to be paired everytime you reboot. Does anyone have better steps or way to enable the PS3 remote.

Thanks

- olympia - 2009-02-10

danillll Wrote:thanks Olympia for your reply.

Last night I finished setting up xbmc by following this guide, everything went smooth, however I noticed some performance problems while playing 1080p movies.
I have intel dual core 3GHz stock and I was getting too many frame drops without any noticeable stuttering, the cpu load on both cores were not "very" even, 30% 70% or 70% 50% ....

I think you didn't missed the reference for this topic in the guide:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=43075

Unfortunately it is a known issue.
XBMC Live is based on Hardy, so it is not affected...

- SpiffBB - 2009-02-10

olympia Wrote:1. Do you also need to first turn on the TV, then the HTPC to get any picture via HDMI? If I fist turn on the PC, then the TV, there is no picture at all...

Yes, i have the same problem - I have searched but havent found a fix for this.

- danillll - 2009-02-10

olympia Wrote:1. Do you also need to first turn on the TV, then the HTPC to get any picture via HDMI? If I fist turn on the PC, then the TV, there is no picture at all...

Thank you for the feedbacks

I believe the HDMI negotiation only happens on startup, which explains why it won't work if the tv was off.
I wonder if it will renegotiate if you unplug and plug the cable back, while both tv and htpc are on

- KHM3 - 2009-02-10

danillll Wrote:I believe the HDMI negotiation only happens on startup, which explains why it won't work if the tv was off.
I wonder if it will renegotiate if you unplug and plug the cable back, while both tv and htpc are on

Probably driver queries displays only on startup and does not support hotplug.